“Very nice and stylish hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Refinery Hotel

You added Refinery Hotel to your Saves list
Refinery Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Tripadvisor Fans Special!
Ranked #17 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice and stylish hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This is a very stylish midtown hotel. It has a "hip", industrial feel to it, which we really liked.
We thought our room was a bit too small, but then again this is New York and we went for the cheapest room category..
We thought the free coffee to go in the Lobby added a very nice touch - you grab your coffee and are ready to explore the city.
What we really liked was the rooftop bar. It's a very nice space, and we enjoyed having a lively open air bar right in our hotel..

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
EdTheEd, thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed Refinery Hotel and are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have to admit to being a review reader rather than a writer, but having returned from NYC this week I am compelled to write a review for this particular hotel. Quite simply it's excellent!

You may expect the atypical hard-faced 'New Yoika' team to be running this hotel, but it's the complete opposite and a welcoming surprise.

Not only is the hotel chic, it's also comforting and welcoming. From the bellhops (Hi Patrick & Basha!) to the concierge and the housemaids, (whoever services room 1009 is very kind and friendly)

Our Scottish group of girls were welcomed, wished Happy Birthday, Greeted and adieu'd as we came and went during our stay.

Rooms are spacious & clean, Rooftop Bar is totes Frabjous too!

Location is advantageous for landmarks - and for fabricaholics like me W38th street is the place to be!!

Pricewise, as us girls shared a spacious room, it worked out to be a great worthwhile deal

Loved it - thank you guys xx A. Alexander

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you Amanda A for your kind words about our staff and our location! We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Lovely hotel with impressive attention to detail on all fronts - service, interior, amenities etc. The staff were really accommodating of any of our requests, the food in the restaurant was great and the roof top bar is special! Tricky to get a table if it's good weather though so would recommend booking in advance if you know you want to check it out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you Rachel S for your kind words regarding our service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed at The Refinery Hotel for 5 nights from 29th May with 4 other family members. We travelled from Scotland for some special birthdays. The hotel is in a perfect location, the rooms are bright, modern, spacious & clean. The decor in lobby, restaurant & rooftop bar is really cool. The staff were very nice during our stay, especially the woman who cleaned our room on the Sunday & the doormen Basha & Patrick, who were fun, helpful & always looked out for us. There was also a birthday cake from Magnolia Bakery delivered to our room. All this helped to make our stay a special one. Would definitely recommend & stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
ktcheeky2, thank you for your review and your kind words about our staff! We hope to see you soon!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am just home from a 5 night stay at the Refinery Hotel. I was there with three of my cousins and my Mother to celebrate my and another cousin's 40th birthday. We arrived and the staff straight away wished us a happy birthday and checked us in with no problems - we even got a birthday cake from the Hotel which was a really nice touch. The staff were just amasing and helped us out at all times especially Basha and Patrick - my Mum definatley had a soft spot for them!! hahaha
On the whole I would recommend this hotel all the time when speaking to people about my trip. Great location, clean, roof top bar was jumping every night and very friendly staff.
What more could you ask for?!

Room Tip: Wouldn't go to the 11th floor would be too much noise from the RoofTop Bar
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thanks VANdrew, for your kind words about our staff and space. We hope to see you back here with us soon!
Walnut, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed at the Refinery during spring break this year and found the hotel to be a great little boutique hotel located in the center of Manhattan. The lobby smells amazing when you enter (I even asked what candles they used for the lobby…they are Lafco candles and the scent is Beach House btw if anyone was interested…) The doormen were always smiling and did their best to help you with your luggage, which was very much appreciated. The check in process was pretty smooth.
The room was very lofty, considering that you are in NYC. The bathroom was small as expected but you do get Le Labo toiletries which is a great plus. The door to the room is like a safe door…It weighed tons and tons. I felt like I was getting my days work out just opening the door but hey! it felt secure. I had no problem with the street noise and the bed was comfortable.

Funny story, my friends checked in a day after me and for the same type of room. Since english was not their first language, I helped them check in… and guess what… they got a upgrade to the best suite in the hotel! I was like…what about meeeee?? Hahahaha of course I was happy that they could enjoy the hotel as well but it was kinda awks.

Overall it was a good experience and I was not disappointed by anything. Would be back again

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Kain P, Thank you for your review and kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back here!
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Refinery Hotel, New York, New York

I’m not often taken to posting reviews – but this hotel is so good I couldn’t resist.

On our arrival to the hotel we were warmly welcomed into a cool, calm and sophisticated interior. We had room 516 from 29th May 2014 – for 4 nights. We had also booked rooms for my parents and my brother and his wife…so it was important to us to get the right place.

At Reception the team were very warm and welcoming but not in the usual American customer service way – it was more sincere and real – and it was fun – this was a theme that would continue throughout our stay and the level of warmth, genuine personality and fun was one of the significant elements that made for a perfect stay.

As we waited for the lift we noticed the many exciting pieces of art that surprise and delight. An oil painting that is exploding from its frame or leaves of plaster fluttering by…..
Our bags were taken carefully to our room and the facilities explained – it was the standard room but big enough and . first priority when you are a bit jet lagged - there was a wonderful big comfortable bed with crisp smooth, white cotton sheets.

I know this may sound odd (and I only noticed it on our departure) but the bed had been designed so as not to have a space under it – you may wonder why this small detail is important – it is! The number of times I have dropped something in a hotel room and it has rolled under the bed – or a shoe has gone missing or worse been forgotten in the packing. Another one of the hundreds of tiny and smart details you will notice (or not) at The Refinery. The TV was huge and really good quality with every movie and channel you could wish for. The bathroom was wonderful – marble floor and sink with brass fittings – the quality was really five star. The shower was huge and lux and there was even a faux bath mat made out of marble set in the floor – v Refinery- classy and fun.

Everywhere in the hotel you will find heavy duty, industrial 5 Star fixtures and fittings – amazing and no expense spared. The building was originally a hat factory and these roots can be seen in many of the design features in the building.

Off to explore the rest of the hotel – it is clear that the team do actually love what they do and they love their hotel and genuinely want you to as well. We made our way to the totally stunning rooftop bar where the view of the Empire State building is incredible – you feel you could reach out your arm and touch it – but if you did reach out your arm you would be asked if you would like a cocktail! The service is so attentive.

We travel a lot on business and don’t really look forward to staying in a hotel, but this place is different, we will enjoy coming back to The Refinery – often.

Later in the evening it became clear that The Refinery has become one of the hot and happening places in NYC – there was always a queue (line) for the Roof Top bar – but as residents you are made to feel like real VIP s and given the rock star treatment of going right to the front of the line and being welcomed to the bar. The hotel is positioned really well, near to Times Square.

We wanted a booking at PDT an exclusive little speakeasy in the East Side – we had tried to get a reservation and failed – so we asked the Concierge team to help us and they put a team of 3 people on the phones to get it done! Nothing is too much trouble – we were delighted to get one of NYCs most impossible reservations!!

There are not many places you will stay in the world where you will feel more welcome, and have so much fun as The Refinery. Go!

Thanks Basha and the rest of the team for taking such good care of us and thank you too to the door men for (I wish I could remember your names) The Roof Top bar you guys are World Class and you should be fully appreciated for what you do every day with love and fun! Thank you.

Room Tip: Hip Cool fun and trendy in Perfect location NYC
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you tinacatling for your kind words and great feedback about our staff and space! We hope to see you back here soon!

Been to Refinery Hotel? Share your experiences!