“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Jersey
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice boutique hotel in a spot a little away from most others which was welcomed. We enjoyed a drink at the rooftop restaurant and also had a quick breakfast in the bar/restaurant which was great (awesome waffles).

The only negative was at check in I asked for the front desk to call when our room was ready, but they did not call. We did enjoy a couple drinks at the bar/restaurant, but I could have used that 30 minute nap I was hoping for. When I stopped back over the front desk said the room was ready and had been ok to occupy for the last 45 minutes.

Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
DAHAWK—we are glad to hear that you had an overall good experience, despite any inconvenience at check in. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This proved just about the perfect place for a 5-day break in Manhattan: Superbly located on 38th/6th, with predictably compact but well enough designed rooms redeemed by high ceilings and super comfy beds, and unfailingly helpful and friendly service from a young attractive team. There are good bars and a pretty good, if unremarkable, restaurant. Overall styling is very good. The fitness room perhaps focused more on aesthetics than functionality, but at least there was one. Minor quibbles would be the lack of in-room tea/coffee making facilities, the fine judgment required to avoid the shower being either freezing or boiling, and a feeling that the walls and floors didn't offer great sound insulation. We would return and overall we would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We were on 11th floor, so not disturbed by street noise
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We thank you for your recommendation, EDCT50, and look forward to your next stay with us.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for NewYears and now were back. This hotel is great. The staff is friendly and they remember your names. The rooms are large and lofty. We ate at the restaurant and the food was delicious. We haven't taken to the rooftop bar yet, but we will before we leave. Great location, great hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
jnherring--thank you for your review, we are happy to hear you are enjoying your return visit and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here in October 2013 for a friends 60th birthday weekend. I had booked the hotel on line and good thing I brought my confirmation with me! Our friends got a room, but my husband and I were told that because we were a " no show" the day before, that there was no room available for us! Well, after pulling out my confirmation and showing them that I was, indeed, arriving on the day I was meant to, the clerk said nothing, put her head down and found me a room! No apology, no smile, nothing!
Then, the day before we were to leave, we got a bottle of wine and a card welcoming some stranger to our room! Apparently, we had to check out! Ha! This is when I put my foot down.
I'm sure this was a one-off mistake in booking on their part, but it really bothered me about the attitude. And then to have a nice bottle of wine delivered to my room...for someone else! Why was I not offered anything for MY inconvenience.
We don't typically like this location (too touristy) but stayed here for the benefit of my friend who had never been to NYC. It was close to Times Square, Broadway and some pub style restaurants, but for the price of the room, I wouldn't stay here again.
For a real NYC experience! stay in Greenwich Village or Hells Kitchen. Ooh, or Chelsea! I now need another NYC fix!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post, cyclingnomad. I am sorry to hear that there was any confusion surrounding your reservation and for any affront you may have experienced from our staff. This is not the Refinery standard and we hope to welcome you back in the future, so that you may experience our dedication to customer care.
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous 3 night stay. Gorgeous room. Totally loved the rooftop bar the views of the Empire State were fantastic The Refinery staff were so friendly and helpful. Wood thoroughly recommend this hotel to all.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
We appreciate your recommendation and hope you will be visiting us again soon, scotsgirlCheshire.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed here for a week and generally wouldn't write reviews but this hotel deserves recognition for great service.
Hotel is beautifully presented throughout and the rooftop bar is amazing!!!
Well done guys!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review and enthusiasm! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, Decandval73.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife and I decided to spend Valentine's in the city and take in a broadway show. The hotel which is around the corner from Bryant Park is a 5-10 minute walk to most of Broadway. Even on a wintery cold evening the walk was not bad. Our room felt a little small but had high ceilings with contemporary features like a shower with large frameless glass enclosure, light switches that vary lighting depending on preference, lcd reading lights, large LCD TV, electronic do-not-disturb light, etc. Internet was free. For some reason the sheets felt a little stiff and the bed a little hard, but we sleep just fine. Fabulous rooftop bar. We had dinner in the downstairs restaurant. While the decor is very bar like, the food was excellent.

Staff did a great job of checking on and addressing our needs. This extra care (I think one manager who assisted was George) left my wife and I with a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TravelingDishman--thank you for your post, we are happy to hear you had a pleasant experience and we hope you will be returning in the future.

Been to Refinery Hotel? Share your experiences!