“Awesome Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Refinery Hotel

You added Refinery Hotel to your Saves list
Refinery Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Tripadvisor Fans Special!
Ranked #17 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Coquitlam, Canada
“Awesome Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We decide to spend 6 nights in New York to celebrate the New year. This hotel was fabulous! The room we had was very modern, spacious, and clean. An additional plus was the incredibly comfortable beds! So comfortable that we found ourselves sleeping through our alarms on some days! The extra touch of having free coffee and tea in the lobby each morning was a great start to each day. The staff here was extremely courteous, friendly, and knowledgeable. We always felt like we were at home. The location was exceptional - 2.5 blocks from Times Square, and 1 block Bryant Park Subway station. The rooftop lounge was so warm and modernized, and had such an incredible view of the Empire State Building. Overall, our experience at the Refinery Hotel was definitely a wonderful one. Would and will definitely go back!

- John and Adele C.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We look forward to your return visit, 600Johnny, and are happy that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We have recently returned from 6 weeks travelling around the States, and by far our best hotel experience was the Refinery in NYC.
Fabulous decor, super comfy beds, two swanky bars, great coffee right across the street (Culture), easy walk to shopping, sites, restaurants and broadway - from the great first impression (after a 30 hour flight, I can be hard to impress) to the last, this is a beautiful boutique hotel.

But they say, in times of need you find out who your true friends are - and I am happy to say the management and team at the Refinery are definitely friends of ours.
I took unexpectedly ill in NYC and ended up in hospital for 5 days, which left my wife alone (and a little stressed out!). The staff could not have been more supportive or attentive. They went above and beyond - keeping in regular contact to see if there was anything we needed, and thoughtfully left flowers and a note. They were also accommodating of the extra nights we needed on short notice once I was out of hospital.

The management should be rightfully proud of the team they have at the Refinery - they are outstanding. Thank you all for a memorable stay in NYC - we'll definitely be back to finish off the sightseeing we didn't get to last time, and buy one of your hilarious martini shakers!

We have already recommended this hotel to friends travelling soon, and will continue to do so without hesitation.

With best regards, P&S Nilsson

Room Tip: Corner rooms capture all of the winter sun, and if on the south side, catch a sneaky view of the Emp...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
While we are sorry that illness interrupted your visit, Pelle N, we are glad that all are well and that you enjoyed your overall stay. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I went to this hotel for my 21st birthday and the staff made me feel at home. On the morning of my birthday they brought chocolate chip pancakes to my room! I can't say enough about the staff. They're absolutely amazing! By the end of our trip it's like we were a part of the Refinery family! This is the best hotel I've been to in my entire life. The atmosphere was funky and there was free coffee and wine in the lobby for the guests. It's very close to Times Square but far enough away that it was quiet and I could have a good night sleep. I love, love, love everything about this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday stay with us, Maxine L, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed at the Refinery with my husband for two nights and we didn't want to leave. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings; definitely the largest hotel room I have ever had in NYC. The windows are large and allow lots of natural light. There was so much thought put into the decor of the room, especially all the little nods to the Refinery's past as a hat factory, such as the desk made to look like an antique sewing table. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel uses nice linens.

Our room was on the second floor on the side that didn't face the street, so we didn't hear any noise despite our room being near the gym. The rooftop terrace was the perfect place to have a drink and end your evening.

The staff is very friendly and the location is great. The only nitpick I have is that if you need the valet to retrieve your car, the standard amount of time they ask is 30 min, which we didn't realize. To avoid this, just make sure to call ahead to the front desk and let them know when you need your .

Otherwise, I can't recommend this beautiful hotel enough and look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: As for a room that doesn't face the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Your recommendation means a lot to us, Susan C--we hope you will be visiting again in the future.
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I love this hotel, we were there in January for our anniversary and they could not have been nicer. After our early check in, we left to explore the city and when we got back, there was a little cake waiting for us!! it was so good and such a nice surprise.. The room was very nice especially the high ceilings and the views were unbelievable!! You must go to the roof top bar even in the winter! So relaxing. Everyone from check-in to check-out were so accommodating. The hotel is nice and clean and we cant wait to go back. I would recommend to anyone who wants a nice getaway!! It is in a very good location and lots of places to walk to!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your review, janet795. We look forward to your return visit.
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

It's great, funky, and the staff are really friendly. If you like cocktails, rooftop terraces and loft style chic rooms, this is the place. Good atmosphere in the adjoining bar/ restaurant. Great central location too. Didn't notice any noise on the 6th floor.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, Susan W, and we hope you will visit again soon.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

As you can see from my other reviews, I am the hotel guest from hell and find fault in almost every minor detail and boy did I struggle to find problems with the Refinery. I stay in hotels around the globe for over 100 nights a year, almost all top tier hotels and I have to say, this place totally rocks.

I arrived right over a terrible trans-atlantic flight and on the doormen were attentive but not pushy (some grab your bag and refuse to let go in the hope of a tip) and happily let me take my own bag to the room. There was a real buzzy, but not pretentious, vibe in the lobby and the girl at checkin was simply delightful - everyone in this place just seems to smile, without being grating.

I was in room 907, possibly the biggest room I have had in NYC, and there isn't a 5-star hotel in town I have not stayed in. It was superbly designed and so sympathetic to what the building used to be. In fact the pride in the detail and styling about the heritage of the place is wonderful and makes you feel part of the story (like the 'newspaper' on the desk in the room). The bathroom didn't have a bath (possibly the only negative), but a good (not great) shower and again the attention to design detail runs to a great mosaic on the floor of the bathroom.

So I started my tests. It was 10.30pm when I checked in, so I called the front desk for non-feather pillows - bingo, less than 5 minutes later, a lovely housekeeping chap arrives and changes all my pillows. Next, the noise test. Total silence from above and both next doors. Next - technology - I have two laptops and I hate having to pay twice for internet - here - free and very fast. HD TVs (two big screen ones) and even a thoughtful little iPad charger.

Even one of my pets hates is under control here - little paper notices everywhere about saving the planet and minibars, etc. Nope - not here - just the room service menu. I ordered some dinner, and yes, it arrived so fast, I hadn't even had time to unpack! It comes in 'to go' plastic containers - not everyones idea of great, but it works for me, was hot and tasty and you don't have to wait hours for someone to pick up the tray when you are done.

I also had to iron my shirt and yes, you guessed it, the best ever iron I have ever used. I am really not making this up. I was desperate to find something wrong here. Check out was super fast and super friendly (love the Cheers stamp on the invoice) - and yes here is the best bit - all for under $400!! I slipped away fast in case they had made a mistake and undercharged me by $400!

Well done guys - this is simply an awesome place and I didn't even make it up to the rooftop thing. Other hotels, please learn from this place - service, smiles, pride, and a great design go a long way in hotel excellence.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Your kind words are much appreciated, milesw, and I am glad to hear we could surpass your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Refinery Hotel? Share your experiences!