“Great hotel and location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Rate
Tripadvisor Fan Special!
Ranked #25 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Great hotel and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Wonderfully renovated boutique hotel in an awesome location near Bryant Park. Outstanding service - everyone was warm and welcoming. Loved the rooftop lounge. Would have given the Refinery five stars but for a couple of issues with the room. While it was very spacious and bright (loved the high ceilings and large window) and very nicely appointed, the queen bed was pushed against the wall with only one nightstand - a bit awkward getting in and out of bed and no place to put cell phone, water, etc. The bathroom was small with limited vanity space and not great lighting. Also there was a bit of street noise which may have been because of the room location. Overall, a very nice stay - we hope to visit again soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, Bootsie27. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to post and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Refinery for our honeymoon. Upon check-in, we were very amazed by the friendliness and happiness of the stuff. When we got to the room, we found a bottle of champagne with a Congratulation card signed by "Your friends from Refinery". The room was incredibly setup to welcome us and help us celebrate . Our stay at Refinery was a great and a heart touching experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us, wessy_wiwi, thank you for your review--we hope you will be making a return visit soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed in a room for two days in early October. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and the location of the actual hotel is very good. Room service was excellent and the food was great. Out of the five NY hotels that I've have stayed in the past few years the Refinery is definitely my favorite.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was facing 38th street, the sound from outside did not effect my sleep at all.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are proud to be a favorite, R1983T. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your visiting us again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I surely recommend this hotel!
Excellent localization right in the middle of the City and close to the subway.
Very modern style hotel with beautiful room. I love the bathroom with no bathtub and blindex in the shower (hate curtains).
Clean hotel.
Staff very pleasant and attencious people. I stayed for 6 days.
The breakfast can be improved to a continental buffet, would be better!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your post, DaniCru. Your recommendation is very much appreciated. We hope you will be returning for a second visit soon.
Brasschaat, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed at The Refinery with my three kids (aged 21, 18 and 16) in a family room. Even though I agree with some of the critical remarks, I hit the excellent button for the service at the Refinery. Sadly enough I had to postpone my trip to September as my youngest brother passed away unexpectedly in August. I collect tealight holders and had several packages sent to the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel Ms. Renita Mattaeus immediately offered her condolences and assured me no storage would be charged for the packages, which she had kept in her office. I was touched by this truly personal service. As some of the packages didn’t have my name on it, they were hard to trace. Ms. Renita Mattaeus and the entire staff went well beyond the call of duty to look for them until the last day of our stay. The packages were either put in my room or the staff left a card with complimentary cup cakes to explain what they had come up with. Finally only one package was still missing when we left, but Ms Renita Mattaeus promised to keep me informed by email.
As I happened to celebrate my 50th birthday in NY, I was offered a complimentary bottle of wine on the occasion.

More positives
Well located within walking distance of shops and major attractions, underground nearby
We got excellent recommendations for breakfast and dinner.
The staff’s dress is in line with the industrial look and feel of the hotel. The front staff is keen to assist in any way they can, the doormen are very friendly.
Good room size, comfortable beds (quality duvets ànd blankets),upscale furnishing.
Flawless wifi, widescreen tv with many channels, ,IPod dock, light switch with options bright or relax both in the room and in the bathroom (handy during the night).
Excellent : proper hair dryer (actually blowing hot air and not puffing) ; blinds and curtains blackout the room very efficiently, free morning coffee in the lobby is a plus.
The bathroom door closed shut, also the panneled window offered enough privacy in the bathroom (my daughter and I never felt awkard with the boys in the room)

Negatives
The storage space in the room is really cramped for 4 people : closet too narrow, tiny drawers, no luggage rack (suggestion : put safe somewhere else, which allows for extra shelves in the closet)
Bathroom : open garbage bin (content visible ), shower tap hard to manipulate (at first you get the impression the hot water is not working), no magnifying mirror.
The noise and poor light at the Parker and Quinn inconvienced even my young folk, but that seems to be common in many NY restaurants.
The rooftop bar was a bit of a disappointment : one of the elevators is reserved for visitors to the rooftop bar, which make you feel second class as a hotel resident (especially with a bouncer and velvet ropes present). It was not advertised anywhere that formal dress is required, so my son was not allowed up and there was no point going on my own. Hence, we didn’t couldn’t enjoy the views from the top with a cocktail in our hands which was a pity.

However, the hotel management makes a real effort to improve things and on the whole the pros of this boutique hotel undoubtedly outweigh the cons.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Your kind words and thoughtful, balanced review mean a lot to us, MMN-2930. Thank you, we look forward to your family's next visit.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Hotel stands to be different from others do to its staff. Overall hotel service was excellent. Everyone tries to please you differently. Stayed for 3 nights, furthermore they were the most amazing nights I experienced in NYC. Kudos to the management team for training such an amazing staff

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, Elgayaar. Your kind words regarding our team here at Refinery mean a lot to all of us. We look forward to your return visit.
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed for one night at Refinery and only wished it was a longer stay. Beautiful rooms with attractive decor, felt very comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly and extremely accommodating. Didn't have the chance to experience the rooftop, but my family who stayed longer raved about it.

Great location if you want to be walking distance to Times Square.

Would definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We will greatly look forward to your return, MarikoGel--thank you for posting.