“New New York Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Refinery Hotel to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Refinery Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Tripadvisor Fans Special!
Ranked #15 of 452 hotels in New York City
Brookline, MA
“New New York Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed last weekend at the new Hotel Refinery. This was originally a millinery factory on the edge of the Garment Center and the redo is excellent. Convenient to Fifth Avenue and the Library. Our room had the best mattress of any hotel we have stayed in. Rooms clean, service excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your post, denbro. We hope you will be visiting us again soon!

1,036 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I'm hesitant to write this review, because I don't want this property to become too popular! The property is brand new, and unlike New York City hotels, the rooms are spacious, modern (yet warm and welcoming - lots of use of wood and warm brick). The rooftop bar is just perfect - classy, clean lines, yet not pretentious, a perfect spot to unwind from a long day of the hustle and bustle of New York.

Best of all : the service. I was welcomed warmly and just felt right at home, from the second I was greeted at the door to check-in. I would recommend this hotel over any other hotel in NYC - it's a gem and the experience was outstanding. NYC is known for rude and gruff service, where you feel utterly worthless - the hotel is just the opposite. I'm already planning on being back and can't wait to stay at my home away from home in NYC!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are happy to hear that we have become your home away from home, Antonio H. Thank you for your review--we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice, and both times everything was just perfect.From the doorman, to the front desk, bellman ect, everyone was so helpful with such wonderful attitudes.There is a
Lobby Bar, rooftop Bar, and a great resturant, where everyone was so accommodating, the mgr.
of the restaurant is constantly on hand making sure that everyone is being made to feel special.
I have reffered this hotel to many close friends.Can't wait to go back. Janis Higgins

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Glad to hear that you enjoyed both your stays, janishiggins--we hope that you will be visiting us again soon and thank you for your recommendations.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I travel to NY on business frequently and am on a constant quest to find a favorite hotel. I decided to try the Refinery because it was new and had great reviews on this site. ( For comparison, I have stayed at Bryant Park, various "Ws" , the Algonquin, Eventi (Kimpton) (several times), The Muse (Kimpton), Park 77 (Kimpton), Morgans, and others. The Refinery compares favorably to most of these. The room is very well decorated, especially if you like minimalistic design, which I do. The bed is extremely comfortable and the bathroom is luxurious.The gym is very good and the doormen are extremely friendly. The front desk staff that I encountered was far less nice; indeed, I would call the reception I got at check-in condescending and frosty--(but it was just one employee who definitely needs some training in customer service).

There are a number of flaws that might keep me from going back. The bathroom, while lovely, had no sink counter or shelves or anything on which to rest your makeup and blowdryer etc. while getting ready. Frustrating!! The lighting is too "moody" -- even the bright setting is not bright enough. The temperature control was awful--the room either was freezing, or you had to set it to heat. And as a business traveler, when I get back from a long day of work, sometimes I just want to stay in and have room service and watch a movie. Well--don't plan on doing it here! There are no pay per view movies or even a DVD option--only television channels--and everyone knows how dreadful network TV is. And the room service is--sorry, but true--a joke. It took over an hour to get a salad and a steak delivered--and it came in PLASTIC containers with PLASTIC silverware in a brown bag--not even a roll and butter or a glass of ice water. But the prices are what you pay in the restaurant downstairs. So either don't offer room service or do it right--if I wanted takeout, I could have gotten it myself for a lot less money. Management should not forget that business travelers are the hotel's bread and butter, and when you are paying well over $500 a night for a room, you expect a certain degree of comfort--sorry--plastic does not cut it.

So--overall, I liked the rooms, the gym, and the rooftop bar. The location is OK--38th Street is all scaffolding right now--but so is most of NYC--very unattractive and hard to get around--but not the hotel's fault. I will try the Refinery again--I just hope that the manager will take some of these comments to heart, because the hotel could be a gem if it fixed the bathroom storage issues ( maybe a shelf?), the temp controls, the lack of movie options and the ROOM SERVICE!! Tall order--but you are so close to being a truly great hotel. And kudos to the doormen--they were always smiling and friendly!

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your thoughtful posting, westerngirl. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay and will be sure to take your comments into account as we continue to improve our space and our services. We look forward to your return.
Safety Harbor, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Refinery Hotel in New York (September 21-23) and the experience was horrible. I'll start with the worst of it...
The morning after we arrived, we went out early for coffee and shopping. When we returned to our room, our door was propped open. We walked into our room expecting housekeeping, but there was NOBODY in the room. We were dumbfounded, wondering if we had been robbed. We looked around the room for at least five minutes. As we were leaving the room to go to the front desk, a mini-bar attendant walked into our room. Apparently, she was restocking our mini-bar and just left our room open. At that point, she didn't even check our keys/ID's to make sure that we were even the legitimate occupants of the room!!! Fortunately, most of our valuables were in the safe and nothing was stolen. When we reported this incident to the front desk, we were told that the incident would be reported to a manager. We heard nothing further about it. I'm furious.
So, assuming this was a one time security faux pas made by a really stupid employee I would still give the hotel a very poor rating. When we checked in, the bellman took us to our room, I gave him a $10 tip, he asked if I needed anything else, I said "yes, ice please" and he said "there are ice machines on every floor" and then left. OMG! Then, the next day, after the security incident, our room was not serviced by housekeeping until after 4:00 pm when we finally asked why it had not been serviced. We had been out of the room most of the day, beginning at 9:00 am, giving them ample opportunity to have serviced the room.
Room service was another very bad joke. Our meal was delivered in take out cartons in a paper sack with plastic utensils. THIS ROOM WAS $400 (FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS) PER NIGHT!!!! The room was minuscule (even for New York). There was a king bed with less than two feet between the bed and the surrounding walls. The only good thing about the room was the comfortable bed and bed linens and a nicely tiled bathroom.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, Michelle C. We apologize for this breach of your privacy and feeling of personal safety and can assure you it will never happen again. I apologize for any indifference you may have felt from our management team, but I know that they addressed this serious issue and continue to follow up on the improved protocol. We will certainly be taking your experience into account as we enhance our services.
Mahopac, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My friends and I just stayed that this hotel. It was amazing. The hotel had an impressive interior. The staff was amazing. Ronaldo at the front desk made us feel like we were staying with family. Basha, another staff member, made sure we knew how to get to our destinations within the city.

This hotel is definitely a place I would return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you, Katherine F. We deeply appreciate your taking the time to post and are so glad you had a pleasant and comfortable stay. We hope that you will be visiting us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel has a unique atmosphere, which we loved as soon as we arrived. It's classy, friendly and ideally located. The roof top terrace is a lovely bonus for catching the sun, evening drinks or admiring the view.We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Our room was at the back with a little traffic noise. Not sure if the front would have been better?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your post, smcs_12. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Refinery Hotel? Share your experiences!