“reFINEry!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Refinery Hotel

Save Saved
You added Refinery Hotel to your Saves list
Refinery Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Tripadvisor Fans Special!
Ranked #16 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Calgary, Canada
“reFINEry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Fine indeed, what a fabulous new hotel! We can't say enough about this place. From the first step inside to the minute we left we were treated with five start service. Great conversations with the doormen, and great service from the front desk/concierge. We can tell the hard work that was put into this new hotel, all details involved. We felt very upscale here. Our room (Atelier) was fantastic and very large for NY. And my god are the beds comfortable. It was so comfy, dark and quiet in our room, it was almost impossible to get up in the morning. The rooftop is really a big bonus as well, one of the best in NY for sure. I will also give a nod to their restaurant Parker & Quinn: good food, quality service and love the lively ambiance and decor. We will most definitely stay here again as long as the price is right and won't hesitate to recommend it. In fact, my brother in-law and wife are staying here in August from our recommendation. My wife only had one minor thing she wanted me to pass along to management; she felt the bathrooms could be stocked with a few more essentials. But all in all, loved it! Keep it up!

Room Tip: We stayed in the -07 Atelier room. It was great! If you want the largest of the Atelier rooms and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
So glad you enjoyed such a comfortable stay, sstn78—thank you for posting. We hope you will return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Berlin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just coming off a two day stay here. The location is extremely convenient to Penn Station, midtown, Times Square, the Metro. Everyone here was very friendly and accomodating. We always got a smile and were asked if we were enjoying our stay. We did! The room was great. My wife loved the bed, pillows and comforter. Very upscale in every respect. The bathroom was what you might expect in hotels costing twice as much, the terry robes were a nice touch. Very quiet, very easy to oversleep! I can't say enough about the kindness of the staff and their attentiveness. It really made the stay memorable. My wife commented on the pin everyone was wearing and they gave her one! This place has personality and you will enjoy your stay. Not sterile like a big chain but smaller and warm. The hotel is really, really nice from a functional and decor standpoint and the staff just adds to it. Lots of food choices in the area too. Make your stay in NYC here a memorable one and enjoyable, stay at the Refinery. Oh, the umbrellas in the lobby were a very thoughtful and appreciated touch which really helped us out on a rainy Saturday morning!

Room Tip: Stayed on 5th floor, no issues whatsoever!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review of our friendly service and great location, 671paul_j671. We hope that you will visit us again soon.
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

From the time we arrived at the Refinery Hotel and was greeted by Taurean, the doorman until the time of departure when we were greeted by doorman Sammie, our experience was spectacular. Taurean remembered our name later during our stay and gave us a personal tour of the amazing rooftop. Sammie helped us tremendously when we had a no show from Dial 7 Car Service. Sammie called a car service, stopped a cab driver and a private car until we he located someone to take us to LGA airport. He walked over a block to find us transportation to the airport.

The front office manager, Renita Matthaeus along with the rest of the staff at the Refinery Hotel made visit to NYC enjoyable and memorable. When we arrived to the hotel room, I had a handwritten card wishing me a Happy Birthday along with an assortment of cupcake minis. The second day we returned to our room to another handwritten card along with a bottle of Refinery red wine, fruit, cheese, and nuts.

As other guests have already indicated, the hotel is a fabulous boutique hotel conveniently located near Times Square and Bryant Park. The decoration of the hotel and rooftop is unique and stylish. The beds were very comfortable.

By the way, prior to our stay at the Refinery Hotel, I had contacted the concierge desk for assistance with our itinerary. Tiffany was instrumental in providing us with advice to maximize our stay in New York.

I could continue on and on about the excellent qualities of this hotel and staff but hopefully by now you are convinced that this should be your hotel of choice. I don't think it gets any better than the service we received from the entire staff of the Refinery Hotel (especially Renita, Taurean, and Sammie - You Guys Rock!)

Believe the Hype - You Will Not Be Disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Your review put a smile on all of our faces, ftwriter. We deeply appreciate your kind comments and are excited for your next visit.
Pasadena, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was our first stay at the Refinery and we got an amazing deal through Trip Advisor. The hotel is in an excellent location in the Garment District and is blocks from Times Square and Bryant Park. When you first walk in, you are greeted by glamorous and beautiful decor and the bar on your right near the lobby. Check in was a breeze and there was a room available for us even though it was only 11AM. I have to say, service was excellent. Everyone was very friendly and helpful the entire weekend. The doorman was excellent and snagging us a taxi whenever we needed one.

Room:
The room was spacious with two queen beds, a desk, and a flat screen tv. The beds were comfortable and the decor in the room was perfect for the Garment District. The desk looked like an old sewing machine desk. Our view was of the back of other buildings, but I am not complaining since I wasn't in the room that much and not every room can be facing the street.

The bathroom was small but clean. I liked the decor and tiled floors. My main gripes are about the bathroom. First, there is no shower fan. The room steamed up quickly and already smelled a little mildewy (this place has been open since May). I can't imagine why they wouldn't put fans in. Also, the hot water was blazingly hot, like melt your skin off hot, so be careful. The cold water was a trickle and toilets didn't work well. The other major thing to be aware of was the see-through doors. They make an attempt to try and have these glass doors that are not see through, but they failed. You can see the person sitting on the toilet or standing there in the bathroom. It does not hide anything. My friend and I had to turn off the light to go to the bathroom so we wouldn't be giving the other a peepshow. Also the door has no lock on it.

We never got a chance to check out the roof top deck so I can't comment on that.

Other then bathroom issues, I have no other complaints about the room or service. Check out was quick and easy. We had a great time and loved the Refinery. It was fresh and chic with amazing service.

Room Tip: Double rooms are larger and have queen beds
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your post, coastalisis, and for complimenting our location and décor. We look forward to your return!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my husbands 40th for two nights and it was utterly fantastic. Great room, great service, great location, everything was spot on! Nice little touches for to make my husbands birthday memorable too including a room upgrade, birthday cupcakes and bubbly on arrival. Lovely comfy beds, spacious rooms and so many nice little touches. I can't wait to stay again. This ranks as one of my favourite places to have stayed.

• Stayed July 2013
So happy we can be ranked among your favorites, ambacjay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently stayed at The Refinery for 4 nights and was blown away by the friendliness of all the staff at this hotel whom all made me feel so welcome during my stay.. The hotel is brand new and and is decked out in 1920's style. I had a studio room and was so surprised to see how spacious it was, especially for New York hotels, It is really big!! The Bed was extremely comfortable and the restaurant downstairs is amazing, but my favourite was their rooftop bar. I took several New Yorker friends up there who were so impressed with the little gem that i had showed them. It offers amazing views of the Empire state building and also has a large indoor area as well. I would definitely recommend The Refinery - the hotel is great for business travelers and tourists.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for posting, Ilana S. I am so glad you enjoyed our warm welcome and spacious rooms. We can’t wait to have you back!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Stunning hotel in fabulous location. We stayed here for 8 nights and had a fabulous time. Absolutely everything you could want in a hotel and more. We thoroughly recommend staying here. It is as great as it looks on the website ( if not better) and the staff are very friendly and helpful without being over the top. Enjoy!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Your recommendation is much appreciated, Heather O. We are excited for your return visit.

Been to Refinery Hotel? Share your experiences!