“The Refinery even in Soft Opening was an incredible place to call home.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Refinery Hotel

Special Rate
Tripadvisor Fan Special!
Ranked #25 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington, United States
“The Refinery even in Soft Opening was an incredible place to call home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Where to START! This place in Excellent! My wife and I had come to New York to attend Surtex, a show for Artist to Exhibit art for potential licensing. Well, the first day we had to rush by and asked if the hotel could watch our baggage until check in time. That time would be three hours away. Yes, that was the answer. Next, the BIG SURPRISE!! When we came back the Management and Staff greeted with an upgrade!!!! We went from a nice room to a spacious Executive Suite for our entire stay!!! Wow! Incredible!! I know, lots of capitals and exclamations, but this is way cool . . . The executive suite is twice as large and plenty of space. One really cool thing through the whole stay is wine between 6 to 8 pm nightly. What can I say about the staff. Every kind word and super genuine in their delight to be helpful. We really began to not want to leave the Refinery Boutique Hotel as the final day of departure approached. To summize, excellent staff, plus wonderful suite made for a stay that will remain with my wife and I forever!!! We will return as soon as possible. This will be our stay of choice. The owners know how to make a great hotel. Plus, the rooftop deck, which is not open at this time, will be a hit!!! Have a great stay at the Refinery!!!

Room Tip: For total comfort as though you actually live in New York, the Executive Suite!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay, William-and-Keiko, and that we could be a part of a memorable trip—looking forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My daughters and I stayed 2 nights at the Refinery and our stay just got better and better! First of all the staff is beyond friendly and accomodating. We were in town because my daughter was being recognized at a ceremony at Carnegie Hall through the Scholastic Art and Writing awards for a short story she submitted. When we first arrived, the girls at the front desk (especially Alice and Renita) were so sweet and made my daughters feel like celebrities! Alice took pictures of us and sent them to our email address. When we returned that evening, there were two gourmet cupcakes from a local bakery with a personalized note. Every time we came and went, there were smiles and congratulations from everyone. The bellman were all so genuinely sweet and helpful. We wanted to take Basha home with us. He told us a story about his newborn daughters' first smile that melted our hearts. And the room! The bed was honestly the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The furniture and fixtures are unique and of quality materials reminiscent of a bygone era. The linens are Frette, what a nice touch! The high ceilings make the room appear larger than it is, but it is not overly small to begin with, especially by NY standards. The concept and design of the hotel is another unique feature. Renita explained to us that the building used to be a hat factory and the tools and felt used to make hats is incorporated into the artwork in the lobby. Very unique. We were there during their soft opening, whcih meant that some amenities were not yet ready, but there was a note explaining this and we did not feel like we were missing out on anything because we knew what to expect. We happened to be there on the opening night of the restaurant, which is so funky and cozy and well designed. We got in late from the ballet one evening and we asked if the restaurant was open just for dessert. They led us to the restaurant which is behind the front lobby area and the chef came out to personally describe to us the desserts of the evening. We ordered one and received the second one as "compliments of the chef". They were both exquisite! Our waitress, Bunmi, was so pleasant and accomodating. We had such a lovely time getting to know her and she even gave us her email address so that we could send her my daughters short story to read because she was so interested. This was such a memorable trip to NY for us, due in most part to the genuine kindness of the staff. Overall, we will definitely be returning to the Refinery on our next trip to NY.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your post, seetina7119. We are so happy to be part of such wonderful memories and look forward to having you and your family back again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I just got back from 3 nights at Refinery, and it was one of my favorite NY trips in recent memory. The hotel is brand new and while they are still working a few things out, the service is impeccable. Super friendly staff and great food (the restaurant, Parker-Quinn, is excellent) make for a sophisticated but casual environment. The decor preserves many facets of the hotel's past a hat factory, a sort of victorian industrial that's more modern than steampunk. The rooms are well-appointed with Frette linens, super cushy bed, giant tiled shower and a desk fashioned from a sewing machine table.

The staff is great and give fantastic restaurant reccos. I really enjoyed my stay and hope to return later this summer when they open their rooftop bar. Got a quick tour of the construction and it is going to be awesome. Check it out :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review, Miznixie! So glad you noticed all the little details we are so proud of here at Refinery Hotel and that you enjoyed Parker & Quinn. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This could become our "go-to" hotel in NYC. First off, let me say, their staff are well-trained and genuine. They were proud of their product and it showed. The room, with it's high ceiling and big windows was a refreshing change in New York. The bed was comfy, linens crisp and the towels fluffy. The decor was upbeat and modern, but not cold.
If this hotel is completed to the high standards that exist so far, it will be a raging success. It's midtown location, as well as its proximity to Bryant Park make it an ideal spot for getting anywhere in Manhatten. We will be back! Oh yes, the sleep quality only loses a mark due to the "city that never sleeps", and has nothing to do with hotel design. It was quite muffled, but more than we are personally used to.

Room Tip: Our room on the ninth floor at the front, had a very good view of the top of the Empire State Buildi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, jillybean06! We ARE proud of our space and staff here at Refinery Hotel and are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for 3 nights on the strength of the reviews on Tripadvisor as well as getting a (relatively) good rate for a midtown hotel.

First of all, both mine and my girlfriend's credit cards would not be accepted by their system for the pre-authorisation. Once they fixed their computer it was fine but it wasn't an ideal start to our stay. That being said, they were apologetic and the offer of free wine and champagne made things easier.

The room was superb; great view of the ESB as well as hardwood floors and quirky touches here and there. Great TV and the bed was fantastic. Unfortunately, we had problems with the hot water in our room and had to contact reception on three separate occasions to try and have this fixed. It was never fully resolved meaning that we couldn't shower on the last morning we were there.

Also, on three occasions, their fire alarm system was being tested or being tripped by something including one time at just after 7:30 am. A teething problem perhaps but not the nicest way to be woken.

This being said, the staff here are more than fantastic. The best I've ever encountered across all my stays in hotels. Particular praise for Nofar and Basha who were always happy to help. Also Cory in the bar mixes a mean cocktail.

I so wish I could give this hotel 5 stars. I hate being the first to not give it a 5 star review on TA but I must remain as objective as possible. I have no doubts that once the teething problems are over, it will be THE place to stay.

Room Tip: The Atelier suites are wonderfully spacious
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your review, TheAff. Your honesty and candidness is much appreciated. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you faced during your stay with us—thankfully our credit card operations are fully functioning and up to speed.

We agree that the fire alarm and lack of hot water are nuisances! As we continue to improve and refine our space we strive to eliminate these unfavorable circumstances.

Thank you again for your understanding and patience. We cannot wait to welcome you back!
Medfield, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Found this brand new hotel on Jettsetter and I am so glad we went for it! Super friendly, efficient and unpretentious staff, sleek and chic decor, comfy and beautiful lobby, free wifi, afternoon champagne (more to do with opening of the hotel restaurant). Our room was spotless and we had ample room in the double queen for 3 women and all our stuff. The bathroom was a decent size and beautiful, it had plenty of counter space and quality towels and bathrobes (Frette). This is the first of many hotels we stayed in that actually respected our wishes and did not replace towels when we didn't want them replaced. So many times, we have hung up towels hoping to do our part and reduce unnecessary washing, but they are always taken away and refreshed. Easy to walk to Time Square, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central...great location! Great hotel!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We greatly appreciate your post, MABlissful. Not only do we believe in excellent service, but we agree that we all need to do our part to reduce waste!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in many hotels but never felt as compelled as I am now to write a review, being torn between wanting to keep this gem of a hotel a secret and wanting the whole world to know about it! This is not only in an ideal location, but the building itself is gorgeous with meticulous attention to detail by the designers, my personal fave being the small scale "whispering gallery" design in the entrance originally found in Grand Central station, and the statement pieces of furniture I coveted for my own home dotted around the hotel and in the bar. Even the lobby restrooms were of a design I could only dream of in my own house! The staff were welcoming, friendly and took the time to talk and understand each customers needs. They had plenty of knowledge of the hotel, the history of the building and of the local area. No request seemed too much trouble. Very cool uniforms too. We were lucky to be there on the opening night of the Parker & Quinn restaurant which has yet another breathtaking interior. The polished brass, Perfect tiling on floors and walls, comfortable chesterfield seating in the booths and lovely colour coordination all round. The cocktails were possibly the best I've ever had (In the mood was yummy) mixed with teas for a unique flavour, the bar and restaurant staff attentive and the Lamb burger I have no words for. Seriously. I'm only sad I will probably never be able to recreate it back here in London! The General Manager, Christopher Choquet was sincerely interested in any feedback which was appreciated. Breakfast was a complimentary continental in the lobby bar area while the restaurant is being completed for breakfast service. The pastries were warm and fresh and as a typical Brit i was happy with the selection of teas. Maybe unwittingly, the hotel has struck upon a novel idea of having takeaway cups for the tea so if you cannot stop to eat or have an early start, you can grab your coffee on the go. I'm not sure if this is only a temporary measure but I think it should stay as its a nice touch (i was saying they should put their logo on the cups to let the world know where this fine coffee is from). The only problem we had in all was with our first room, but this was because the hotel is SO new, some finer details had not been completed, but we were upgraded immediately and staff stayed to check everything was in perfect working order. Lovely room, bedding, bathroom, so clean. I will definitely be back at this hotel as I cannot wait to see the rooftop bar and the finished product of this hotel. I know this review makes me sound suspiciously like I work here but really, I don't... It really is this good - just check out all the other reviews if you don't believe me! Finally, a true 5 Star hotel in NYC - Thank you all at the Refinery for the best stay I've had in a hotel in years, maybe ever.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, A D—your post made us all smile! So happy you enjoyed your first experience with us. We look forward to your next visit.