“A must for avid theatregoers!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
54 Below is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #716 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Tapas, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Broadway and 8th Ave
Description: New nightclub on Broadway
Sydney, Australia
“A must for avid theatregoers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

My family and I spent a memorable night here on the last night of our recent NYC trip. 54 Below is located in the basement of the once-infamous Studio 54, and plays host to shows by Broadway’s best-known performers. It’s also a great place to grab a pre or post-theatre meal. After unsuccessfully attempting “The Book of Mormon” lottery, we wandered up to 54 Below and were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Often, a theatre-restaurant experience can involve very ordinary-tasting meals, but this was not the case at 54 Below. Everyone in my party thought the food was lovely, and that the service was excellent. Even though we didn’t get to attend a performance on this occasion, it was great just to sit and enjoy the atmosphere and think about all of the high-calibre performers who have graced the place with their presence. I highly recommend dining here to all big Broadway fans!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Alexandria, La
“Great Experience For An Out of Towner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Saw a great show (Sondheim Unplugged) and had a great dinner. The menu is somewhat limited but delicious. Had a great time visiting with the locals before and after the show. This will be on our itenary when we return to NYC.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, New York
“Great Space, Good Food and a show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I'll start at the end - Our waiter didn't seem to care that he received a 30% tip. Not even a thank you. He was very nice during dinner & attentive - that's what made me decide to tip well above the suggested 20 to 22%. But once the show was over, he wanted the table cleared and us out. (I presume to get ready for the next show.)

The room is a great venue - we saw Len Cariou on stage. It's set-up like an 1920's "Speak Easy" and the decor matches the theme. Every member of the staff was friendly & helpful.

The food was very good & very fresh, but cooked with a few too many aromatics for my taste. Sometimes simple is better - but in NO way did this hamper our meal. It was very good. My wife & I each ordered an App and we each had an Entree, then we shared a dessert.

Due to the Speak Easy feel, my wife had 2 cocktails and I had 3 (we knew we were taking a cab home, so why not?) The signature drinks were fun, my regular mixed drinks were strong.

Overall, the night cost us $245. including my unappreciated tip. This didn't include the price of the show, but overall it wasn't a very expensive night for a NYC Night Club. Without cocktails the bill would have been about $80. to 85.oo less.

We will certainly be back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Show and Dinner not worth the cost”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I bought a Goldstar discount ticket to see a show at 54 Below and because it required a $25 minimum per person for food or drink we decided to dine here beforehand. I had read the other Tripadvisor restaurant reviews which led to this decision. We were the second couple to arrive at the venue as we got there very early and we were seated to the right of the stage. At first the hostess wanted to seat us so my husband's back would be facing the stage and she made a big deal of it when we requested for him to face the stage. When the act started we couldn't see the entertainers which took away from the show. We figured because we weren't locals or were using the discount that we got such poor seats.

As for the meal, it was overpriced and nothing to write home about. We both ordered their fish dinner and it was basically tasteless. I have had a better fish dinner for half the price at Bonefish.

Since our time in New York City was limited as we were on vacation there, I would have rather spent more for a show and no doubt could have spent $75 at a restaurant that would have been better.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bronx, New York, USA
“The Shows are FAB the food is good too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

While I go to 54 Below mainly for the shows with a $25 food & drink minimum – the specialty drinks are always good and I LOVE the Mac & Cheese and the Yucca Fries

• Visited November 2013