“Value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #157 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I read lots of people saying it is so so small. I don't know what they are used to, this place was big enough for me and my giant suitcase. Clean and friendly. Close to the central station as well. And the roof top terrace, awesome! If you dont stay here, come for a drink to the roof top!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My daughter and I stayed her while on a long weekend in NYC. It was a great price and great location. The room was small but well designed and had great furnishings and finishes (love the overhead rainshower showerhead!). Perfect for our needs and the location is wonderful - easy walking to many sites. We had a great time. Staff was helpful and friendly. Downstairs restaurant and rooftop bar draw alot of folks (mostly a 20s-early 30s crowd) but the room was quiet (even located near the elevator). Will definately stay again - or try the Pod 51.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
nh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My cousin and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights a few weeks ago. The place portrays itself very honestly in terms of room size and level of service. It is awesomely located - walkable to just about every where.
The staff was genuinely friendly and helpful at every turn.
Rooftop bar is extremely cool with great staff and inventive drink menu.
It gets packed by all manner of well-dressed yahoos as dark approaches.
Our room was right next to the elevators and we heard zero noise from that.
Having Salvation Taco on the premesis was an added plus.

Expect to stay in a reasonably priced POD in midtown and love it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My best friend booked two rooms in Pod 39 in July. They ended up being double rooms and my husband and I preferred a queen room. The front desk easily moved us to a queen room when we checked in. All of the staff was great and very attentive. Even the rooftop bar had great bartenders!

Speaking of the rooftop, what a view!

The room was very clean and perfectly organized for it's space. Very modern and fun. We literally only showered and slept there so it was the perfect home base. The only thing I would say was a little different was the fact that the bathroom is close proximity to the bed and it is just sliding glass. So my husband and I actually went up to the roof restrooms when we needed certain bathroom privacy.

A few blocks walking distance to the Empire State Building and Grand Central Station and close to Lexington Ave that has many restaurants and bars.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

...they close the roof terrace for private parties, which when you travel to NYC for July 4th to watch the fireworks from the snazzy roof terrace of your kitsch hotel is more than a little irritating. I guess someone with more money than me decided to hire the rooftop, but they don't mention this is a possibility on their website, beyond saying the roof is open 'seasonally'. Don't factor in the roof terrace as part of the reason you stay here as it may well be hired out to the highest bidder whilst you're staying.

Back to the rooms - I stayed in the sister hotel Pod 51 a few years back so knew that small is the name of the game and I have to say it was just fine. I had a double pod and I think if there had been two of us we might have got cabin fever, but then who goes to NYC to stay in their room all day? Staff were all young, hip and friendly. Great location, much more of a neighbourhood than tourist area feel which is great. Five minute walk to Grand Central, fifteen or so minutes to Port Authority, near lots of diners and cafes etc. Lovely spot (just don't pick it for the roof terrace!). Wifi was excellent too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
NY/NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I guess I was spoiled from my first stay here when I had a room that was decent sized but my last two says were in much smaller rooms. I understand that is the nature of this hotel, but after explaining exactly what I was looking for and mentioning my ealrier stay, I guess I was expecting the same. But the room was clean, the bed comfy and check-in/out efficient. If you're staying in the city on your own nickle, this is a great option.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The best thing about Pod 39 is the location. It is within walking distance to Grand Central Station, Bryant Park, the Empire State Building and many more. There are plenty of shops and restaurants around the hotel which was a great convenience for us.

The rooms are small, but when you are in New York you only need a place to sleep and shower. The rooms were cleaned daily. The bed was comfortable, the air conditioner worked perfectly and the TV, although small, worked well.

The room we had had a double bed, a small desk and a corner for storage. There was additional storage drawers located under the bed.

Although there was a window in our room, we could not open it and sometimes when we got back to the room there was a stuffy smell in the room, but using the air conditioner this quickly disappeared.

The bathroom was separated from the bedroom by means of frosted glass. This may not be ideal for some people but we didn't find it a big hassle. The shower was lovely and toiletries were provided daily.

It would have been nice if a small bar fridge and coffee/tea making facilities had been provided, but according to the Pod hotels they remove all the unnecessary items to provide travellers with what they really need - a good place to sleep at reasonable prices. Although reasonable compared to other New York hotels, the Pod 39 hotel rates were still higher than hotels in other cities, but still far below the average rates of other New York hotels.

The (3) lifts sometimes took a bit long, but considering the number of rooms in the hotel this was to be expected. The decor of the hotel was quite funky and modern.

Breakfast at $3 for a coffee and croissant was on offer, but we never used this. There was also a rooftop bar and small restaurant on the hotel premises which we never used. They seemed popular as they were quite busy at night.

We found the staff extremely helpful and friendly. They were efficient as well. Checking in and out was quick and they even offered to e-mail me the invoice for the room without me having to ask. We also asked them to arrange a shuttle to the airport for us and this was done quickly and efficiently as well.

In the hotel lobby there is a staff members that offers advise on tours and sights to do. We also appreciated the free ipad use opposite the lifts. We were able to print from the ipads for a travel pass we had booked.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Pod 39 Hotel? Share your experiences!