“Small and Clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #153 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Niteroi, RJ
“Small and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Very small rooms, but very nice and clean.

Travellin with my girlfriend I have to choose a two bed room because when I saw the bed for two it scared me, it was like a single bed a little larger. Bathroom ok too.

Very well located, near Grand Central and not to far from times square. The bar on the looby seems very cool.

I could say that I would like to be ther again, but I´ll have to check the rates..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

OK first off you must set expectations. This is a POD not a room so I didn't expect to stay there aside from bathing and sleeping and it is more than enough for that. Don't compare this to a hotel ROOM. I thought the place was young and energetic, the bathroom portion of the pod was decked out nicely and was great to wake up to. The hotel staff were friendly and engaging. I found the whole experience to be great cuz I wasn't in NYC to hang out in a hotel room (why would you?).

Definitely be back

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are way too small for one person let alone two. Bathroom privacy is minimal and small as well.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Roof top lounge was pretty awesome with breath taking views.

If you like postage stamp sized rooms, then this is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Padua, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

this is a very nice hotel, in the hart of mannhattan, just few steps away from the Grand Central satation. I think that the location is ecxellent, as well as the bar and the the rooftop terrace!
the only problem for me was the bathroom!!the room are really small and in front of our bed there was a glass the separete the bathroom....the glass is not totally seethrough...but you can still see too much in my opinion...so there is not much pivacy...
anothere problem was the very noisy heating but i'm a light sleeper so I guess that for other people wouldn't be a problem.
apart for this the hotel was very nice, modern, clean and with exellent service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Waynesboro Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I am very pleasantly surprised at the size of my pod at Pod 39! It is only slightly smaller than rooms in a number of the older, classic hotels in NYC. The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming. I called house keeping to get an iron and ironing board and it was there in less than 5 minutes. The location is great! Very close to Grand Central and the Chrysler building and it's a nice neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed at Pod39 for one night and it met all my expectations. You can see how small the rooms are going to be on the website when booking. I booked a single room, but was upgraded to a double on arrival (thank goodness, cos the extra space was helpful). Yes, the room is small, the bathroom is only partitioned off by opaque glass, not solid walls, and there is no room for your suitcase (except under the bed). But there is a comfy bed, lots of power points (and USB points) for phones, iPods and computers, a good shower with lots of hot water and it's very clean.

The only problem I had was with some really bad pipe-banging noises in the middle of the night that disturbed my sleep.

The bathroom sink has no hot water tap and no plug (not help as I wanted to do some washing)

I found the staff very helpful on check-in. However don't expect anyone to help you with your bags or with taxis or recommendations for local restaurants.

The place does have the feel of a hostel (although I joked that the stainless steel doors make it feel a bit Prison-like!) with the trendy bar and rooftop. I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone as a short stay alternative to a big name hotel. Although you might rethink this if you are a) really tall, or b) looking for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and a quiet room on check in!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Budget was in mind when I booked the Pod Hotel. I didn't want to spend more than USD 250/night for accommodation, and my days of hostels are long gone. I travelled solo in NYC for 5 nights and stayed in a double room. Yep it's really small but I had everything I needed and with some careful storage of stuff, had enough room for my luggage and daily shopping :-)
The front office stage are relatively friendly and helpful and the cleaners do a good job of sprucing the room every day. I love a dark room to sleep in and this little cave (with windows and shutters closed) work a charm - I slept REALLY well here.
With taxes etc it works out closer to USD 270/night but the location, quality of sleep, and filling the need of a place to lay my head at night after sightseeing the day away, it was just fine.
I do not know how people share a pod, even the bigger ones - I think you'd have to be really in love(!!) or know each other REALLY well. It would be way too cramped for me with any other people sharing. The bathroom is right there and all the reviewers comments are correct about privacy etc.
Would happily stay again when in NYC if I went solo. Good location.
My room smelt a little odd - a little damp - but i didn't notice it so much when i was in there, just when i came back at the end of the day.

Room Tip: I asked to be moved to a room away from the lift. Although a double room, the one i ended up with h...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Pod 39 Hotel? Share your experiences!