“Good stay on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Shanghai, China
“Good stay on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I spent one night at the POD 39 since I could not get an extension in my previous hotel.

The location is pretty good, in the heart of Manhattan and walking distance from Times Square. Check in was pretty smooth and quick.
The rooms are literally PODS! They are fine for 1 person but would get cramped for 2. 3 people is out of the question.
The facilities are pretty functional and the bar on the roof is pretty cool.
Dont expect any luxuries and you will not be disappointed.
the staff is pretty helpful and friendly.

All in all, recommended for the budget traveller.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have being at hotel POD 39 as guest between january 31 and february 2nd, 2014.

I enjoyed staying at POD 39 hotel but I am very disappointed that such a thing I will describe below, has happened.

By the time I have checked in I have paid US$ 100,00 cash for refundable incidental tax.

By the time I was checking out I’ve noticed that I had been double charged for the incidental tax. Another US$ 100,00 were charged at my debit pre paid card. So, I have paid total US$ 200,00 for incidental tax.

By the time I left the hotel, I got a refund of US100,00 cash but the other US$ 100,00 charged from my prepaid card has not been refunded yet, although I have signed a document that informs that it would be refunded. That's what describes the document (bill) I have got in my hands right now.

I have sent an email at 7th march, regarding what has happened, and have never received a reply yet.

I haven't had a refund yet. Maybe I would never have my US$ 100,00 back.

If you take a look at other reviews of this hotel in trip advisor you will notice that such a thing has happened to other guests already.

There are many nice hotels in NYC. I will never come back POD 39. I hope you do the same.

Room Tip: Os quartos são pequenos. Fique longe dos elevadores. Eles são barulhentos e os quartos perto deles a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tim L, Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Jonasgolfeto,

I can easily imagine how frustrating this experience may have been for you. I do apologize that no one has responded or contacted you back regarding this issue. I have provided you with my personal email address to resolve this matter personally.

Regarding the double charged incidentals that occurred, I have researched your reservation. It appears that there was no accounting error. I believe that you may require some explanation on how your charges were settled at check-out. I would be happy to email you another copy of your receipt and review the charges with you so that I can clarify any misunderstanding.

At the Pod 39, we do require incidentals upon arrival, $20 per day if using a credit card or up to $100 if cash. Our deposit incidental allows everyone the chance and ability to charge something to their room during their stay at the Pod 39, which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a simple cocktail at, Salvation Taco.

You may me contact me directly at tim.l@thepodhotel39.com so that I can further assist you on this matter.

Timothy Lau
Front Office Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I was prepared for a small room and small it was. I had reserved/paid for a single pod but given the bunk bed room at check-in. I admired the design of the room; very well-planned, smart. I did appreciate the extra space afforded by having a bunk bed, even if it made me feel like I was back at sleep away camp - Camp NYC.

The small quarters didn't bother me, although while trying to check out my outfit in the sliver of a full-length mirror in between the door and the wall, I hit the wall with my elbow. At least the wifi was fast and free. It was slightly Twilight-Zone like to have the wall clock with the date prominently display that it was January 3, 2014. The time was accurate. You could imagine a nefarious plot to disorient travelers locked in their pods. Water in shower - good pressure, good temperature control. However, there is cold water in the sink faucet which makes washing your face a less than pleasant experience.

It was fairly quiet, although my neighbor came home at 1 am and proceeded to watch TV - I could hear this and was mightily annoyed. The mattress was not comfortable - it creaked its coils every time I turned in bed and felt like Soviet-bloc grade. Maybe it was because it was the bunk bed? I'm not sure I understand the other reviews stating that the beds were comfortable. Compared to sleeping on the floor, maybe?

Still, the location was excellent, close to Grand Central. There's nearby gyms. (no gym in hotel!) For the price, it's decent and meets expectations.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ohio City, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Two-night stay for business. Room (queen) compact but completely sufficient, and certainly a great value for NYC. Nice touches that maximize space - such as drawer and storage space in base for bed. Frosted glass separates bathroom from bedroom so if you're sharing, better be with close friends. Location is convenient for Grand Central or the United Nations. It was very cold outside and the windows in my room had a draft but heating stayed ahead of it once I cranked it up. I had limited interaction with the staff, but was kept waiting for someone to show up to check me in. First floor bar/restaurant was noisy but only when you were in the lobby. Location is non-smoking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Staying 4 nights in the queen room which was small but very compact which is expected in New York. Location only 3 blocks from Grand Central Station. Fantastic value for money and has a real fun and hip vibe.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

ROOM - It is true that the rooms are small but clean and cozy. Our luggages barely fit the space beside the bed. The bed is fairly comfortable. Only a glass sliding door separates the bathroom and the bedroom. There is almost no privacy as you can see everything and I mean everything. If you are a couple, this may not be a big deal. Otherwise, toilets for guests are available in the viewing deck/roof top and the basement so that solves the problem.

LOCATION - The hotel is a 5 minute-walk from the Grand Central Station. A little bit further is Broadway Ave. Taxis often wait outside the hotel entrance. Supermarkets and restaurants can be found in the area. It’s so convenient my partner and I couldn’t complain. We could even come back to the hotel several times to drop off things we bought or freshen up for dinner.

SERVICE – Check in/out is fast and hassle free. They have a help desk for tourists which is a plus especially for first timers in New York. The bar on the ground floor is worth trying. I just wish they serve warm drinks especially when it’s minus 4 degrees celsius outside.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Holly Springs, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Pod 39 is at a great location (3 blocks from Grand Central). Affordable price. Clean rooms. Perfect for travelers with a budget! Lovely space on 17th floor to hang out if your room is too small (see picture).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Pod 39 Hotel? Share your experiences!