“Noisy and cold water at most times” 2 of 5 stars
Review of East Village Hotel

You added East Village Hotel to your Saves list
East Village Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   147 1st Ave, Entrance on 9th St, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #44 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
New York, New York, United States
“Noisy and cold water at most times”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My daughter lives in East Village so I found this convenient. But there was no hot water in the morning or al night....and it's winter in NY right now. It's a noisy neighborhood and you can hear everything, plus the people in rooms above (no carpets).
This is not a cheap hotel...considering the inconveniences.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
mpls
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our daughter lives in the East Village, so this hotel is quite convenient. Rooms are nice (NY small), well appointed, very clean, good shower, free WiFi, etc, a fair value in NY. We had a corner room, nice, but the street noise woke us up several times each night. The mattresses need to be turned, or replace. Also, there is no elevator, so you need to carry your own suitcases up one or two floors depending on your floor.. There are no rooms on the first floor. We may stay again, but my wife will bring ear plugs. Last time we stayed at the Standard in the East Village, and that was very nice, but further from our daughter.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was a great stay for my first time trip to NY. A very innovative, self sustaining way to travel and lodge. We were emailed the check-in info, and all necessary codes. Arrived a little early, called the number at the lobby, and someone came over to let us put our luggage in the room while we roamed around till the actual 3PM check in. Accommodations were clean and new. Felt like we were temporary residents to the East Village neighborhood. Subway was a coupla blocks away allowing access to everything.
Stumbled across this deal on Travel Zoo, saw some of those questionable reviews due to the prior grand opening initial concerns...nothing doing. This was a fine stay, and a wonderful trip to NY that will remain a wonderful memory.

Room Tip: Keep the air running, cuz the city street sounds may wake you up.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is really not a true Hotel but more like a vacation rental. There is daily housekeeping and a daytime clerk, who is a great person, but at night there is no one. The East Village is located over a super good coffee shop called "Bean." Bean has excellent pastries and coffee and pay as you go WiFi, its a Hipster Place with young college students with big horn rimed eye glasses and Frank Sinatra fidoras. East Village has free WiFi included in the rooms with an access code. Don't miss the benches in front of Bean they are perfect for enjoying a cup of java and people watching; its a neighborhood congregating spot with a variety of locals.

The best part about the place is the efficiency apartments themselves. One large room with a bed and a full kitchen, with coffee maker, dishes and dishwasher; excellent and tastefully appointed with Ikea cabinets and a white marble counter. Buy your supplies and you can cook and serve a full meal. If you want coffee bring it with you with number 4 basket type filters, its a Mr. Coffee system. The entire room is Ikea coordinated and I really enjoyed it. I slept well but my daughter complained of loud music from the street, I have no doubt that was true. The room is really and efficiency with beautiful hardwood floors. Warning there is no elevator so large luggage is a challange in the narrow stairway and hall.

The bathroom was excellent with a shower stall and marble tile, towels are provided but face towels were not; the towels are first class though. Shampoo, conditioner and bodywash were provided with a first class hairdryer.

Our room had two full windows with a view of 9th street and its active street scenes. There is a pretty good Pizza / Sub place accross the street, East Village Pizza, that delivers; look out of your window and the sign gives you the website and phone for delivery. The individual AC / Heat unit cooled our room easily, sort of noisy though.

We loved the neighborhood and the shopping is great, the prices will gag you but there are hundreds of small shops in romantic old New York style apartment buildings with just as many resturants and specialty shops. This is a pedestrian bohemian paradise.

There are several subway stations within a 3 minute walk and taxis are all over the place at reasonable prices. Our cab took us to the Amtrak Penn Station for $8.45.

My suggestion, espically since the owner has somewhat of a suspect reputation, is to book your stay via Bookit,com. This will ensure proper documentation and a level of legal recourse. Bookit also has some more reviews of the property that may be valuable. The price for this place was great espically for the location. This area is for people that like a true New York experience and may not work for a large group with small kids.

My 17 year old daughter really loved it and truely enjoyed exploring on her own, its that safe. The location was the best part of our stay.

We will return, check it out.

Room Tip: I would suggest a corner unit if possible
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights during the grand opening of the East Village Hotel in NYC. This is the first time I have stayed in a hotel like this concept. I come to NYC four times a year to visit my daughter who studies at NYU and usually stay at hotels like the W or Sheraton... hotels with full service and with amenities. I was blind-sighted when upon my arrival at 11pm, there was no sign of the hotel name (just the address # 147 on the glass door along 9th Street); there was no Bell service to help me with my luggage; and there was no front desk service. In other words, there was absolutely no human being to help you check in. The Hotel will text you a code to open the front door. Once you are in, there is an iPad that you check in, which will then give you the room number and another numeric code on a keypad to open your room. There is no elevator on this 4 story building. All the hotel rooms start on the second floor. Lucky for me I got the second floor room #4. If for whatever reason the iPad check in does not work, there is always a phone number you can call 24 hours a day.

The room itself is very clean with a nice bathroom with shower (no tub). And it also features a complete kitchenette (microwave, stove, fridge, utensils, pots, pans, etc). No carpet, but nice laminated wood floor. Queen size bed, nice lighting, flatscreen tv with cable, and the air conditioning was really strong. I was on the 2nd floor and with the window closed, it was very quiet. The room also featured crown moldings and a nice base board, and the walls had a nice soothing beige color. The room size with my estimate is about 175 square feet (or 17 square meters).

Some of the things I didn't like about the room is that it didn't have a desk. I wish the management would put one because everybody has a laptop or some kind of electronic gadget. Even a small desk would suffice. Another thing is that while you can't hear the outside noise, you can easily hear the other rooms. The walls are very thin. There is also no door sign for the maid that says "Privacy Please" or "Please Clean Room." The maids don't know if you are sleeping through the afternoon, which I did. So the maid just kept on ringing the door bell. (Management: please buy these signs. I'm sure it won't break the bank, but will help your guests communicate with the maid service).

Other things I liked is that if there is something extra you need like pillows or towels, you can just shoot a text or make a phone call and leave a voicemail, and your request will be taken cared of. Also, I liked the ambiance of the whole building. The owners did an excellent job renovating this old building to looking new and classy.

At first I wasn't too crazy about the whole new concept of not having any human beings to service my stay. But on the second day when I realized that I can come and go anytime, security was good with the front door and hotel room with no keys or card to carry, I began to like the whole concept of this new and innovative hotel. It is definitely not for everybody, especially for disabled people who needs an elevator and those who want a pool, tennis courts, restaurants in the hotel, lobby, and all the other big hotel amenities. The other thing is when checking out, there is no free storage for your luggages in case your flight is still several hours away. The hotel has a charge of $25 per hour to store your luggages. I hope management eliminates this charge as an incentive for guests to stay with them again in the future.

The location of this hotel on the corner of 1st Av and 9th St is excellent. It is near all the subways and is only a couple of blocks away from St. Marks, and close to so many other attractions. Taxi drive by every other second. This is a good place to stay. I hope the management can keep their prices low, especially since their overhead is low. I will definitely come to stay again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and all rooms start on the second floor. Rooms 1 through 6 are on the second fl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

East Village Hotel Part 1

This review is for the first week of a two-week stay: iPad check in does not work so you will need to call to get into the building and into your room.

The first room assigned to me had a door that would not lock. I didn't discover this until the next morning. I called the 24/7 number to ask for the lock to be fixed and the number was temporarily disconnected. Eventually the housekeeper arrived and moved me to another room. The second room was not as clean or new-looking but at least the door locked. The second room also had a television that only worked intermittently. It was fixed once, but after that I didn't bother reporting the issue since there is no staff on site at all and someone has to come over to the building to deal with any issues that come up. After that no major problems.

AC works well but is super loud.

Can smell cigarette smoke from people on the ground floor – seeping in through the windows.

This hotel is a great value if you can get a rate under $150 a night. Not so great if you pay much more than that.

East Village Hotel Part 2

This is part 2 of my review – a second reservation and a second week at the East Village Hotel. I was moved back to my original room with my second reservation. The original room was definitely newer and fresher.

Beyond the initial check in and door locking problems, the second week of my stay involved a lot of noise. One night there was extremely loud drilling and hammering from 3am to 4am. I couldn’t tell where the noise was coming from, but it seemed to be coming from below. Maybe the coffee shop on the ground floor was doing some work? Another night, an alarm went off and rang from about 4am to 6am. I have no idea where that noise was coming from. Needless to say that by the end of my stay I was exhausted from getting no sleep for 2 of my 5 nights there.

There was also very minimal housekeeping. My sheets were never changed and although my towels were changed (sometimes) there was no actual cleaning. And for some reason, they took away my face towel after the first night and never brought another.

With no staff at all on site, when something goes wrong there is no one around to help.

Finally, there seemed to be a problem with people leaving the front door (leading to the street) open. Surely we need the extra door of security in the East Village! Well in fact I’m pretty sure that the swanky leather couch that sat in the lobby area was stolen during my stay. The staff put in a wooden table and a couple of plastic chairs in its place, but they really looked out of place.

In all, lots of bumps and hiccups during my two-week stay. I paid a rate of $119 per night so I could deal with the problems. If I had paid much more I would have felt swindled.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a corner room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our train rolled into NYC earlier than planned and we were allowed to check in as soon as we arrived at the hotel(11:00am). We had a corner room that allowed us to see out 9th St and 1st Ave. I loved sitting out on the fire escape and people watching at night. The subway entrance was in close proximity. The room was more like a studio apt with a kitchenette (fridge, stove, utensils etc). There was a coffee shop and a lil grocery store right below us. The assistant manager, Jose, was very helpful on several different occasions. We were there for a week and I could have easily stayed, even live in there - it was truly awesome!!!! Thanks for a great experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to East Village Hotel? Share your experiences!