“Comfortable, Relaxing and Quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast

You added Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   18 East 93rd Street, Between 5th Ave. and Madison Ave., New York City, NY 10128 (Upper East Side)   |
Ranked #32 of 88 New York City B&B and Inns
Belleville, Canada
“Comfortable, Relaxing and Quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We just spent four days in New York and, with five of us, I wanted a place that was not too expensive yet could accommodate all of us easily. We had the pleasure of renting the Mackenzie Room at Stay the Night. This is a beautiful brownstone full of character. The room, really an apartment, had everything we needed, including two pull out couches. We really made ourselves at home. Everyone slept well. I started to feel like a New Yorker after a couple of days. I would recommend this place to anyone. Thanks Robin for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hey there, Jeff. I really enjoyed reading your recommendation today - thanks for your kind words for everything, from the brownstone itself to the Mackenzie room. I'd love to welcome you back soon.

Take good care,
Robin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2015

We had a great stay in this Upper East Side guesthouse/ b&b. We had a very spacious street facing room, with a high ceiling, shutters and air-con and free wifi. The room had a sitting area around a hearth with comfortable sofa and armchair. Also TV, a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, crockery, cutlery and lots of fluffy fresh towels. We have been travelling for several weeks, staying in hotels, it was relaxing to have the space and we feel more like guests in a home.

The East-side location is great - right by Central Park and on the Museum Mile. Our room was more spacious and less expensive that nearby hotels. It is close to the 5th Ave bus routes into the city, and a short walk to the Green train line, close to restaurants and grocery stores.

Robin met us when we arrived, and we have enjoyed the homemade biscuits in the jar on the front hall table!

Kate and Steve

Room Tip: Chose a room from the web-site as some face the street and others, the rear of the building. The gue...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 31, 2015
Kate, thank you for your amazing recommendation! I'm really happy to read that you had a great stay, and I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. I'd love to welcome you back when you're next visiting the city.

Thanks again, and take care,
Robin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2015

My mom, my best friend, her 4 year old and I rented one of the rooms at Stay the Night this week and it was fantastic. On the Upper East Side near the Reservoir and within walking distance of many of the museums. Check in was a breeze and our room was HUGE! Robin was very accommodating with providing us with extra towels and even offered to move some of the beds around to make things more comfortable. We all appreciated the fact that there was a coffee maker, tea pot, microwave and mini-fridge in the room as well as a set of dishes and silverware.

I'd definitely stay here again. Thank you!

Room Tip: quiet, spacious, affordable, good for families, accommodating,
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 20, 2015
Anna, thank you! This was so wonderful to read. I'm really happy you and your whole group had a great stay, and I appreciate you sharing that here. Looking forward to welcoming you all back next time. :)

Take care,
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2015

Visiting New York in October, it was difficult to find a good place to stay, so we were happy to find Stay the Night had a vacancy. Our room was on the top floor of 3, and required climbing stairs with luggage. We were prepared, so it wasn't so bad. Our room was simple, though nothing special. And Stay the Night isn't really a B&B, at least we weren't offered breakfast ... though it wasn't a big thing because we wanted to explore New York anyway. And what a great location to explore from! Nice, safe neighborhood (we passed by Michael J. Fox as he was getting out of his car to go home!), just a half block from Central Park.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 12, 2015
Bob, I'm so glad you had a good visit! I'd love to welcome you back when you're next in the city, and please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything I can do to make your next visit even better. I can't promise another Michael J. Fox sighting, but I'm happy to do what I can! :)

Best,
Atlanta GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2015

Imagine that your bachelor Uncle Carl rented his place in New York to you for a few days. Carl is not much of a connoisseur of design or interior furnishings. The apartment is a bit worn. Carl hasn't updated his furniture, carpets, mattresses, etc. for quite a while. But it's a big suite, lots of room, it's clean, and the location on the Upper East Side is fantastic (quiet, near Central Park). Plus, the cost is lower than a hotel for the same space.

That pretty much describes the large suite on the top floor, where we stayed for a week.

Overall, we came to kinda like the place, once we got used to it. And the staff was friendly and helpful. The one problem we had that probably would prevent us from coming back was the Internet service. The wifi connection was sometimes great, sometimes not. For us that is a rule-out, because we often have to work for a few hours while we travel, and a dropped Internet connection is a killer for us.

Would we recommend the place? Well, it depends on what you are looking for. This is not a hotel. There is no lobby, no doormen or bellmen, no dining room, no front desk, no daily housekeeping service, no elevator. It is not a bed and breakfast by definition (no food). If you would happily rent your bachelor Uncle Carl's apartment for a few days, and you want a great location and a lot of space, this just might be your thing.

Room Tip: We were there in the winter. Heat in the suite comes from always-on old fashioned steam radiators. Y...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 12, 2015
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here, Fritz. Though I'm bummed we didn't make more of an impression, I'm really happy that you were pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms, the friendliness of the staff, and the location of our brownstone. I do apologize that the internet wasn't as reliable as it should have been -- I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back another time, as I can assure you that won't be an ongoing issue.

All my best,
denver, Colorado, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2014

I'll start w what everyone wants to know.. Should u consider staying here?

Consider this: it's an affordable place right off Madison Ave. near Central Park. Will it be the best place ever? No. But is it good enough for the price? Yes.

No breakfast. (Which we knew)
No customer service - didn't expect in this city w lots of competition.

If you are going to book this place, I'm not sure if u can, but try to make arrangements with the man who owns/ runs it to meet u and let u in. Because otherwise like us, you would be standing outside a locked building, in the middle of a work day, with him not answering any of the two phone numbers he lists, wondering: I paid for this, how the heck am I going to get inside?!

Apparently we are also not the only ones he's done this to. The people who were in the unit below asked us if we were locked out and if there was no one to let us in.

By some miracle, the man painting on the upper floor was coming down to get something and saw us.
He got the other guy, who apparently had instructions to let us in and show us our room.

We also were staying in the city past our check out time.
Calling and asking whether we could leave our bags outside the room didn't yield anything. He didn't answer the phone. Again.

There are reviews that rave about this place and the service. Maybe we were unlucky?

Anyway, I am all for affordable. But not again.

Stayed December 2014
Robin H, Manager at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 9, 2014
I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the level of service. That being said, I feel I should clear two things up. Fist, upon your arrival you did not call either of the two phone numbers provided; but called instead a number that had we have not used for over three years, and one that is not listed on our website, nor posted in the lobby, in the hallways, on the bill, on the welcome sheets, on the refrigerator magnets in the rooms, or an all correspondence. Second, since this is not a hotel proper, we have no front desk, nor do we have the financial resources to hire a full-time receptionist to answer the phones, as is reflected in our extremely reasonable rates. Although there is always someone near the phone whenever a guest is due to arrive (provided that said guest uses the actual phone number provided) the same cannot be always said at other times; as I may be washing linens or cleaning rooms or any of a hundred things that I perform myself to keep our prices so reasonable. In such circumstances, the majority of my guests leave a voice mail, or send an email or a text message, or write a note or knock on my office door, or make some modicum of effort to initiate a communication. I am not hard to find: I live and work in the building.
Finally, the following is copied from the longer email I send to all guests after I have confirmed their reservation; "If you want to come early and drop off your bags or if you wish to leave your bags past check out on your last day, please contact me the day before."
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

Typically a B&B serves breakfast thus the name. This one does not! That's ok because there are plenty of places to eat in NYC. The place is an old brownstone on the upper east side at 93rd and Madison close to Central Park.

You are given a key and then you are on your own. The room was huge as was the bathroom but it was tired. The carpets needed to be redone as did the jacuzzi bath tub which I wouldn't have used even if I was covered in mud. The heat doesn't go on until October 16th so if it's cold out too bad.

Unlike most inn keepers I've seen, stay the nights inn keep is not warm and welcoming, he is rather harsh. He doesn't greet you at your arrival and doesn't always answer the phone.

The best thing I can say about this B&B is that it's quiet up in the 93s and it's close to some excellent neighborhood bistros. If your looking for good Don't stay the night it comes up short.

Stayed October 2014
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 7, 2015
Amy, I'm so glad you were such a fan of our location! Having said that, I'm disappointed not everything was what you were expecting. While I understand that the rooms may not be as up-to-date as some other hotels, they are all clean and well-maintained. As for your impression of me, I apologize if I was anything less than kind and professional. I always want guests to feel welcome and well taken care of, so I'm sorry if I did anything that made you feel otherwise. In addition, although I may not always be able to answer my office phone, I will always answer my cell.

I hope you'll consider staying with us again the next time you're in town -- I know we've got what it takes to impress!

Kind regards,