“Great location, zero customer sevice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast

and 1 more site!
You added Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   18 East 93rd Street, Between 5th Ave. and Madison Ave., New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #33 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
denver, Colorado, USA
“Great location, zero customer sevice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I'll start w what everyone wants to know.. Should u consider staying here?

Consider this: it's an affordable place right off Madison Ave. near Central Park. Will it be the best place ever? No. But is it good enough for the price? Yes.

No breakfast. (Which we knew)
No customer service - didn't expect in this city w lots of competition.

If you are going to book this place, I'm not sure if u can, but try to make arrangements with the man who owns/ runs it to meet u and let u in. Because otherwise like us, you would be standing outside a locked building, in the middle of a work day, with him not answering any of the two phone numbers he lists, wondering: I paid for this, how the heck am I going to get inside?!

Apparently we are also not the only ones he's done this to. The people who were in the unit below asked us if we were locked out and if there was no one to let us in.

By some miracle, the man painting on the upper floor was coming down to get something and saw us.
He got the other guy, who apparently had instructions to let us in and show us our room.

We also were staying in the city past our check out time.
Calling and asking whether we could leave our bags outside the room didn't yield anything. He didn't answer the phone. Again.

There are reviews that rave about this place and the service. Maybe we were unlucky?

Anyway, I am all for affordable. But not again.

Stayed December 2014
Robin H, Manager at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the level of service. That being said, I feel I should clear two things up. Fist, upon your arrival you did not call either of the two phone numbers provided; but called instead a number that had we have not used for over three years, and one that is not listed on our website, nor posted in the lobby, in the hallways, on the bill, on the welcome sheets, on the refrigerator magnets in the rooms, or an all correspondence. Second, since this is not a hotel proper, we have no front desk, nor do we have the financial resources to hire a full-time receptionist to answer the phones, as is reflected in our extremely reasonable rates. Although there is always someone near the phone whenever a guest is due to arrive (provided that said guest uses the actual phone number provided) the same cannot be always said at other times; as I may be washing linens or cleaning rooms or any of a hundred things that I perform myself to keep our prices so reasonable. In such circumstances, the majority of my guests leave a voice mail, or send an email or a text message, or write a note or knock on my office door, or make some modicum of effort to initiate a communication. I am not hard to find: I live and work in the building.
Finally, the following is copied from the longer email I send to all guests after I have confirmed their reservation; "If you want to come early and drop off your bags or if you wish to leave your bags past check out on your last day, please contact me the day before."

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

Typically a B&B serves breakfast thus the name. This one does not! That's ok because there are plenty of places to eat in NYC. The place is an old brownstone on the upper east side at 93rd and Madison close to Central Park.

You are given a key and then you are on your own. The room was huge as was the bathroom but it was tired. The carpets needed to be redone as did the jacuzzi bath tub which I wouldn't have used even if I was covered in mud. The heat doesn't go on until October 16th so if it's cold out too bad.

Unlike most inn keepers I've seen, stay the nights inn keep is not warm and welcoming, he is rather harsh. He doesn't greet you at your arrival and doesn't always answer the phone.

The best thing I can say about this B&B is that it's quiet up in the 93s and it's close to some excellent neighborhood bistros. If your looking for good Don't stay the night it comes up short.

Stayed October 2014
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

We had a great five days staying here. we loved the large room, and outdoor deck (the main reason we booked). A bonus was the great location in walking distance to Central Park, bus, rail and good restaurants. Not a traditional 'B&B' though, so don't expect breakfast.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
From your room to the location, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to know you enjoyed your stay with us, Helen! Thank you so much for your kind recommendation, and I hope to welcome you back the next time you're in New York.

Kind regards,
Puebla, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

We stayed at the Madeline suite, which can accommodate up to 4 people, the room was everything we expected and more, it´s equipped with coffee maker, mini-fridge, complete set of silverware and everything else you may need while travelling. Beautiful room with high ceilings and chic furniture, windows face the street. From this B&B you can walk to central park, bus station, metro station and up to the Museum mile, perfect location in Manhattan. Can´t get better than this, quiet and safe neighbourhood. Definitively would stay here for my next visit to New York.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Erika, thanks you for your kind words. Your compliments on everything from the room to our location have truly made my day, and I'm very much looking forward to having you stay again!

'Til next time,
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Our family stayed in the larger room on the third floor. Very quaint. For those with difficulty climbing stairs, I would recommend a second floor room. Very convenient to Central Park, the subway, restaurants and a very good wine store.

• Stayed July 2014
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your kind review, Susan. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you and your family will be back to visit us soon!

Dakota Dunes, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

This inn is located in the land of the nannies and dog walkers, an excellent neighborhood! It was within walking distance to the Museum Mile and Central Park. There are many nearby restaurants and shops if you want to do some upper east side shopping. If you are looking for the tourist hot spots (which we were), there are subway stations within walking distance and taxis everywhere.

We stayed in the smallest room and, while it would have been awesome if one of the larger rooms was available, we were perfectly content! There was even a loft bed for my son (14 years old) which was perfect for him. The room was also VERY inexpensive! The window air conditioner was great as we could control our own coolness and not be reliant on a central air system.

If you stay, I recommend Sarabeth's for breakfast and Famous Famiglia's Pizza for lunch or dinner; both are within walking distance and have amazing food!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for the rave review, Mandie! We always want our guests to be comfortable and happy, and it's wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay. And your dining recommendations are on-point! Sarabeth's especially is a well-loved neighborhood spot. Please come back and visit us again soon!

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This charming apartment is in New York's upper east side, between Madison and Fifth Avenues, immediately across from the Jacqueline Onassis reservoir within Central Park. It is within a safe, quiet residential neighborhood with several small restaurants, grocery stores and within an easy walk to the subway on Lexington and 96th. It is well within walking distance to Museum Mile, Central Park and upper Park Avenue. We stayed in the Fox apartment which has a charming outdoor patio and a jetted tub. Flatscreen TV and WiFi were nice although we spent little time in the room, other than sleeping and preparing to go out. There is a mini-fridge and microwave within the apartment. Be aware that the units are up flights of steep, narrow stairs and there is no elevator. While somewhat "rough around the edges", the units are comfortable and the manager was always available to answer questions and address concerns. We were able to store our luggage at the apartment prior to and leaving NY. Be aware that this is NOT a bed and breakfast (there is no coffee or breakfast on-site, but notable restaurants in the area are Yura on Madison, Sarabeth's, and Gina la Fornarina. There is a Starbucks on 96th and Madison and other coffee shops nearby. Overall, a nice alternative to high-priced, noisier accommodations in midtown or downtown. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The Fox unit is on the back side of the building...absolutely no street noise and a nice outdoor pat...