“Barnes Suite” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stay the Night Inc.

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stay the Night Inc.
18 East 93rd Street, Between 5th Ave. and Madison Ave., New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
New York City, New York
“Barnes Suite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I booked a staycation here a few years ago and it was adequate. The room was dark and slightly shabby, but it was spacious and had everything we needed.

Pros
- Spacious
- Safe and quiet neighborhood
- Large window with view into the garden

Cons
- Furniture was somewhat shabby and slightly musty
- Broken tiles in bathroom and didn't feel very clean
- At night the room is very dark. The lighting is very low.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

I just stayed the weekend here with my daughter and a friend. We absolutely loved it. Friendly and accommodating people, superb location, and rooms that exude character. If you need sterile, sound proof accommodations this is not for you. But I will be back again.

• Stayed March 2012
Stowe, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. The guest rooms are nice, and the suites are spacious and fully equipped wigth fridge, microwave. kettle, iron, t.v., clock, telephone.

You can't do any better for those prices in Carnegie Hill.

Room Tip: The suites are great.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
washington d.c.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I was desperate for a room under $125 in Manhattan over Veterans' Day weekend. Priceline had not even a one star for this price - including Brooklyn! Other websites had fleabag hotels that reminded me of the Bates Motel. Then i learned about Stay the Night via BedandBreakfast.com. I called and STN had a room for $75/night ($89.56 with tax) on the East side of town at a great location near the Met museum. This is a rooming house with NO SIGN on the front door - more like a speakeasy than a hotel. You have to call a cell number and meet the "super" (Frank) who will check you in. I booked Room One - and there were a couple catches: this was a 4th floor walkup with shared bathroom. Big deal - NOT. I was able to check in early (thanks, Frank!). I left my bag and Frank carried it upstairs so that when I came back a couple hours later it was safely tucked away. Room One was way nicer than the photo - it has a loft, coffee maker, desk with mirror, awesome cable TV service with many channels, and fridge. It is no smaller than rooms in the pricey NYC boutique hotels. Plus, it faces a courtyard with the sun streaming in and total quiet! Mattress was quite firm but I still slept fine. Linens were basic but neither threadbare nor dingy. Room and bathroom plus hallways were both very clean by NY standards (I grew up there). Self-checkout was a breeze. Frank is on call via cell phone if you need assistance. I am not sure Room One would be a great choice if you have loads of heavy luggage, but for me with my single light carry-on bag the 4 flights were quite manageable. And the savings were priceless. :))

Room Tip: Make sure you know which floor you're on. Prices vary and the other rooms and suites are more e...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed in the Madeline room - a wonderful, spacious (could appropriately call it huge) room with a king sized bed (that can be split into two twins) with a small refrig and microwave. Nice remodeled bathroom. It is a charming and (for New York) quiet room. Location is superb as it is walking distance to many great museums including the Met and Natural History and only 1/2 short block to Cental Park. Given current prices for hotels iyr room was reasonably priced. The owner was very helpful as we planned our visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland,Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Pros: Huge room. And anyone who has stayed at a hotel in Manhattan knows how teeny those rooms are. I've seen smaller NYC apts than this room.The bathroom was pretty with double sinks.The terrace was awesome. HUGE closet. Fridge,microwave,coffee pot,blow dryer,ironing board/iron,cups,glasses,plastic spoons/forks,paper towels all provided. Beds pretty comfy.
Cons: Room was 3 flights up and there is no elevator nor anyone to assist in lugging the heavy baggage up or down. Stairway very narrow and creaks horribly. Phone in room was broke-as in dead. If someone didn't have a cell phone and needed a phone they would be out of luck. A caretaker needs to live on site as I couldn't reach anyone by phone and they do not return calls. We were there 5 nights and saw an employee twice. Was able to get fresh towels during one of these meetings, but was not asked if I needed anything after that. It was not very cold out(by my standards) but the radiator heat was turned on (and our air conditioner was removed by staff-actually taken out of the window on our 2nd day) and there is no way to control the temp. I had to open the window,the door and turn on 2 fans because I was sweltering. Forget the muffin/orange juice if that's mentioned because that does not happen!!! There is no subway close enough to B&B (5-10 minute walk). Also the jets in the tub blew out nasty funk. Someone made noise one night for quite awhile ( it was 3 am and I'm still not sure he was actually staying there- seemed like he may have been a visitor) clonking up & down the stairs but who do you complain to?? No one is available to alert. No housekeeping services at all during the 5 nights.

As this is the Upper East Side, there are only a few lower priced diners nearby. Most of the restaurants are fairly expensive. There is a good diner (Marco Polo Pizza) on Madison and 92nd that serves really good breakfast and lunch/dinner and a larger grocery store on Madison and 88th. A few smaller groceries nearby as well.

If you want a large room in a quiet neighborhood near museums, and you don't mind no amenities or staff, then this is a great place. However, if you want a few amenities for your money and a location closer to Times Square, theaters, and main subway lines, you may want to look at another location (possibly upper West Side or Mid-town).

Room Tip: Fox Suite is the only room with a terrace.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Marrakech, Morocco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This seemed like the perfect home from home and I had even read Trip Advisor. There was a review that said that it was not possible to sleep on the sofa bed because it was so uncomfortable. The website of the hotel said that there was a new sofa bed so we didn't worry.
NOT TRUE the sofa bed was impossible to sleep on as it was lumpy even when put on the floor. When we complained we were offered a blow up mattress! Both my sons got bed bugs and we found other people's old socks left behind as well as mountains of dust. Not a happy experience. Left it a few days before writing this review as I left a note at the hotel and thought that they might have bothered to comment but no.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Robin H, Manager at Stay the Night Inc., responded to this review, May 22, 2012
The previous manager, Nick, died suddenly in December 2011, so I cannot speak to the way the room was for this guest, but I can assure you that currently the rooms are very clean (I do it all myself, so I know) and are regularly treated for bedbugs.

Been to Stay the Night Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Stay the Night Inc.

Stay The Night Inc. Hotel New York City
Stay The Night Inc. Hotel
Address: 18 East 93rd Street, Between 5th Ave. and Madison Ave., New York City, NY 10128
Location: United States > New York > New York City > Manhattan , Midtown , Upper East Side
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Suites
Ranked #41 of 96 B&Bs / Inns in New York City
The Bed & Breakfast is located in our 93rd Street Townhouse, between 5th and Madison Ave. A classic New York Brownstone, the building is over 150 years old. Fully renovated and very secure, the house is on a tree-lined block between Fifth and Madison Avenues just two minutes from the reservoir and running track in Central Park. We have four large Victorian suites with en suite bathrooms, three with Jacuzzi tubs and a full one-bedroom apartment with full kitchen and bathroom. All of our rooms have wireless internet access and premium cable.Carnegie Hill is a landmark historic neighborhood on the fashionable Upper-East Side. Our block on 93rd street is one of the quietest residential blocks in Manhattan. It is lines with trees and many of the buildings boast miniature gardens in front, and ivy-covered facades. A security guard patrols the block at all hours.Madison Avenue has many small, top-class restaurants and exquisite boutiques; while around the corner is picturesque Fifth Avenue. We are located in the center of the famous Museum Mile. Within a five-minute walk you can visit the Guggenheim, the Cooper Hewitt and the grandest of all, the Metropolitan Museum of Art. ... more   less

If you own or manage Stay the Night Inc., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later