“Wonderful day for our daughter's 8th birthday!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of American Girl Place - New York

American Girl Place - New York
609 Fifth Avenue, at 49th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)
1-877-AG PLACE
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Pennsylvania, USA
10 attraction reviews
“Wonderful day for our daughter's 8th birthday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We took our daughter out of school on a Thursday (educational trip) to celebrate her birthday in NYC. We had promised to buy her Julie when she was eight. The store was very quiet and we took advantage of the coat check so we could walk around and enjoy shopping without the weight of our winter coats. We surprised her with a photo shoot and she absolutely loved posing with Julie. We didn't have to wait at all for the session and the photographer was very patient and took her time to get the photo just right. The New York store is really quite a sight and even as an adult I enjoy walking around and admiring all the outfits and accessories and the scenes for the historical dolls. We've been to the Boston store several times, but this was worth the trip.

Visited January 2013

Columbus, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
“Good experience for an out of place dad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I went to pick up the present that Santa had shipped for my daughter. I was out of place. I'm sure you could see it on this former hillbilly/firearm collector's face. However, the staff helped me out a lot, showing me what Santa had picked out in depth before finally taking her home. For dads with daughters, you'll do OK. There are plenty others of us around to make you look normal in this otherwise estrogen-filled place.

Visited December 2012
Philadelphia
35 attraction reviews
“Fun for little girls, but bring patience :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I will be the first to admit that I have tried for years now to steer clear of the AG doll experience I just dont see the value of spending $110 for a doll, when you can get a very nice looking, very similar doll (Madam Alexander sold at Walmart for $30) but low and behold, here we found our selves at the store with our two children (5 and 8) who were loving this place: every crowded, hot mess about it.
The major difference I see with these dolls vs others is the hair. Is it worth the price tag, time will tell, but this post is not about the doll but about the sopping experience so i'll stick wtih that.
The place is large, and a bit overwhelming so BRING PATIENCE. They have several cases of dolls that you can choose from, but dont get hung of there. Def go to the second floor to see the doll of the year (and past years) and the traditional dolls, which to me are much more worth the $$ considering you get a book and a much nicer outfit for the same price as the modern dolls. They have a salon that you can get some crazy stuff done, like hair styles, and manicures and facials (YES, for the dolls, not your child! Crazy, YOU BET!) bu these people were loving it! We opted for earrings at the cost of $14 but got five pair of earrnigs for it (the earrings sold themselves would have been $9). Be prepared to see a LOAD of spoiled kids with bags and bags full of stuff, and if that's not you, please have that talk with your child in advance becuase I can see how easily you can get sucked into this AG World!
We didnt see the third floor but understand that it's where lunch is served, as well as some of the smaller dolls. The place all in all was very overwhelming, and hot (it was Jan so we had coats, etc. on) but the look on my girls' faces were priceless.

Visited January 2013
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have never been to the american girl place in New York before, but I went in the summer and I got ivy! I love there products and there accessories are so cute! Everything is a bit overpriced, I think they can knock off a few dollars, but overall, I had a great time there, and I can't wait to go back there again.

Nashville
5 attraction reviews
“A must for young girls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This store is incredible and little girls wait in line clutching their dolls waiting for the store to open. It is right on Fifth Ave. and so easy to find. Plan to stay a while because it is large and has the entire catalog on display.