“Characterful budget accommodation.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 102 Brownstone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
102 Brownstone
You added 102 Brownstone to your Saves list
102 W 118th st, New York City, NY 10026 (Harlem)   |
Ranked #38 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Characterful budget accommodation.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

My partner and I stayed at 102 Brownstone for seven nights. This was our first visit to New York.

We stayed in the Chalet Room, which is about the same size as a standard hotel room, with a small private shower room (no bath), plenty of storage for clothes, an iron, hairdryer, TV, DVD player, microwave, fridge, a couple of mugs and dishes, and a few knives, forks and spoons. It's certainly not luxurious accommodation, but it's not without its charm, and it's a comfortable place to crash after being on your feet all day.

Plus points: Cheap, comfortable, two minutes to the subway, pharmacy and supermarket right across the road, ATM machine just around the corner, busy community feel in the surrounding location, you get your own external key so don't need to be in by a certain time, landlady leaves you to your own devices so plenty of privacy.

Minus points: Lots of holes in the bed sheets which wasn't a deal breaker but seemed strange because the rest of the room was well looked after, no view out of the window except on to backyards and adjacent apartments (but if you're out all day it doesn't matter), we had to ask for fresh towels and for the room to be cleaned (but cleaning was thorough when it eventually happened and the holes in the sheets disappeared), bit stingy with the toilet roll(!), no coffee-making facilities.

All in all, a comfortable budget hotel, well worth the money, and well located for easy access to the city, but don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Thank you for a lovely stay, already recommended to friends
Me and my daughter had a great vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I received a friendly welcome from Lizette upon arrival at 102Brownstone, there was complimentary wifi - that actually worked 100% of the time! The cafe room was spacious enough for me and the bed comfortable and clean.

I liked the details:
In the bathroom -complimentary toothpaste and lotions
In the bedroom -plenty of clothes hangers, iron and ironing board, microwave, fridge freezer and obligatory free coffee

There wasn't a view to speak of (a back yard) but let's face it, you're not in New York to stay in your room all day right!?

The area
Mention the name Harlem and your friends take a deep breathe and warn of dangers lurking in the shadows, I have to say I felt completely safe at all times even when returning home via the subway late at night. Just act responsibly and don't advertise your new camera or state of the art electrical equipment and you'll be fine (the same as most of New York actually). The 2&3 subway is two streets away so you can be on your way to the action in downtown New York in under ten minutes.

Get the unlimited metro card and you'll pay $8.25 a day - good value if you want to explore the city and aren't staying 5 days or more.

Overall I would recommend 102 Brownstone to anyone who is independent and happy to venture out a little further from the heart of Manhattan and save big bucks when compared to typical midtown hotels. Good value - I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
El Paso, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I had read reviews on how wonderful this place was and only a few poor reviews. I decided the good reviews outweighed the poor ones and e-mailed my reservation on May 20, 2010. I called back and spoke with a gentleman with a French accent who told me he had received my reservation and that I was "on the schedule". When my credit card had not been charged according to what was specified on the reservation form I called to see if there was a problem with my credit card and less than two weeks before my trip I was told that they had never received my reservation and that their establishment was completely booked, but that if anything opened up they would give me a call. The young lady I spoke with was cordial or I would have given this place a terrible review. It seemed like a nice place to stay and I would have liked to stay there, but found a less expensive alternative with a full hot breakfast 10 minutes outside the city with shuttle service to Times Square. I read at least one other review where 102 Brownstone lost another traveler's reservation as well, in the same fashion. It was very stressful to try and find a place to stay that met my same budgetary needs less than two weeks before my trip, but thank goodness I did!! 102 Brownstone needs to keep better records!! I thought all the good reviews outweighed the bad ones until this happened to me.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

My friends and I spent three nights during the Labor Day weekend there, and fell in love with the place. We had two adjoining rooms and a private lobby: everything was nicely decorated in a warm, inviting and cozy style.

Our rooms were equipped with microwave, bar fridge and some utensils: and a supermarket within walking distance meant we could keep freshs snacks and breakfast. The beds were large and comfortable, and the shower was spacious.

The hotel is within walking distance of the 2 and 3 subway lines, and a short walk away from the Northern tip of Central Park.

While some parts of the rooms showed wear and minor damage, it was overall a great stay.

Make sure to BOOK IN ADVANCE! While we did plan on our trip on a busy weekend, we made reservations all the way back in March or April, and ours were the only rooms left.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I found this hotel on this site and contacted them direct. It was located in an area close to what I needed. The host was very accomodating but at the same time offered plenty of privacy. She greeted us warmly and was happy to see us. The apartment was very clean, had enough room for the 3 of us and was exactly as pictured. I would stay again and again. I had no problem getting to where I needed to go, check in easy, check out easy. Loved it! May daughters (adults) loved it also.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I was afraid that this hotel was not good. But my apprehensive was set. The hotel not big, but very cozy and nice. The manager was very kind and tried to help us in all things. The position of the place is very good: not far from subway and Central Park, but enough removed from touristic places so it is very quietly nightly.
The one minus - not enough clean. We stayed there for 10 days and the linen wasn't changed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to 102 Brownstone? Share your experiences!