We stayed at the Affinia Dumont for four nights in February and thought the hotel was a perfect place to explore the city.
We landed at JFK about 9:00pm and used the air train to Jamaica Station then switched to the LIRR for a train to Penn Station. The trip took about 40mins and cost $11. Very quick, cheap and clean.
Penn station was only about 20 min walk to the hotel.
We got a room on the 36th floor and the view of down town Manhattan was superb. Great big room, handy kitchen and good sized bathroom. Maids came everyday and kept the room immaculate.
We were disturbed on the second night by some noisy neighbours and had a word at reception in the morning. The front desk manager (Miss Trang Phan) was called and she was extremely apologetic and concerned. She gave us free breakfast in the "Barking Dog" and $100 off of our bill. A very nice gesture and unexpected.
The "Barking Dog" diner next to the hotel is excellent value, great choice, good quality but beware the portions are huge!!!
The hotel is in a brilliant position for sight seeing. Empire State is 2 mins walk. We got there at 7:30 am and were the first up to the top. No queue and long delays through security. Grand Central Station is 10 min walk and is a great place to visit. Loads to see from the whispering gallery by the oyster bar to markets and the incredible main concourse (check out the Apple Store). Times Square is only another 10 min walk from there.
For excellent shopping go to Jersey Gardens Outlet centre. The best way to get there is to catch the bus 111 from the 222 stop at the Port Authority Bus station on 42nd street by times square. The ticket was about $12 return and the bargains at the centre are really worth it!!!!
For a good pint of Guinness and a cocktail try the Mercury Bar close to the hotel. There is a handy supermarket opposite the hotel.
Overall very good hotel, good staff, great location.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Dumont Hotel New York City
- Affinia Dumont New York City
- Affinia Hotel
- Affinia Dumont New York
- Affinia Dumont Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in vibrant Midtown East, Affinia Dumont has a little something for everyone. As one of the top boutique hotels in Midtown East NYC, business travelers admire our big desks and convenient location. Leisure travelers like our family-friendly suites with extra room for the little ones, and cruising around the neighborhood on our Republic Bikes. And everyone loves our Skyline Suites, with inspiring views of the historic Chrysler Building and tranquil East River. Join us nightly in our Midtown East hotel for a glass of red or white at our complimentary Wine Hour, located in the lobby from 5-6 p.m. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel and Venere so you can book your Affinia Dumont reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.