“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #281 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. Had family room for our family of 5. Room for this number of people was a bit on the small side, but the staff were so friendly and helpful. Cheapest place we found with a family room in the location we wanted and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014
sohotel, Public Relations Manager at Sohotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Our Superior Family rooms for five are pretty unique to NYC and we are glad that we can give the option for Families and Groups. Our goal is to give as much value as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Warm Regards,

The Sohotel
info@thesohotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel is value for money esp in the peak season.
Main points - convenient location, near 2 main subway lines, CLEAN modern new bathrooms, comfy bed. I liked the toiletries and toothpaste PLUS complimentary bottled water.
Friendly staff. NO lifts, small rooms. The linen was clean but there were minor stains. The room was serviced daily but maybe with the construction going on downstairs - there was dust ++. Free Wifi was good. I would recommend this place for the price, location and bathrooms. MAKE SURE u try to get top floor and Broome st side rooms, i reckon the lower floor and Bowery side would be a lot noisier.

Room Tip: Top floor. Broome st side.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Our value and location is definitely the best in town and we are happy you shared this with others.

We are glad to report that our efforts to improve our product will be completed within the next weeks. We are almost complete with installing brand new high grade sound resistant windows in every room. They really do the job! As you know, NYC is quite loud but this will reduce the outside hustle and bustle immensely!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon.

Warm Regards,

The Sohotel
info@thesohotel.com
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel in April 2014 over the Easter period. We choose it based on price ($1200 for 5 nights ) its location bordering on Little Italy and Chinatown and being reasonably close to subways.

We were initially disappointed upon arrival due to being put in a long and narrow 6 ft wide room with two single beds, despite having booked and paid for a standard room with two twin beds thinking we would have a larger room as shown on the website. The font desk staff however were sympathetic and after a chat with the manager we were moved to the correct room, which, whilst suffering some street noise, was satisfactory and had a good bathroom and the most comfortable beds and pillows.

This is a boutique style Hotel and is tastefully decorated, but do not expect too much in the way of amenities. The lobby and lounge areas are basic and there are no breakfast facilities, but there are plenty of good local restaurants so no problem there. There is no bar in the Hotel but there is The Randolph right next door, but it doesn't open until late afternoon. The free Wi Fi was OK and the flat screen TV was good.

A point to note is that there are no lifts or elevators so beware if you are on the upper floors and there are no safes in the rooms.

In generally it was a cheerful Hotel with helpful and friendly staff, and is centrally located for lower Manhattan.

Would I stay here again? - yes I guess I would.

Room Tip: Make sure you understand what room you are getting and note that the back rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Hamilton, Bermuda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The good:

The price of this hotel was quite good and we were excited when they offered a triple room as there was three of us. The hotel is well-located. Staff are helpful and pleasant. There is free coffee in the morning and free wifi (which is quite slow).

The bad:

When we arrived they were doing construction in the lobby but we couldn't hear it from our room. The room was extremely small (I'm talking even with NYC standards) and the room had no window, save for a skylight, which had no blind. So at sunrise every morning, the room became so unbearably bright you wouldn't be ablet to sleep anymore. Also, the setup of the light switches is ridiculous. The bathroom light is operated by the master switch which powers the entire room (outlets and all). So if you want to charge your phone overnight or turn on the AC you have to leave on the bathroom light. There's no elevator so be prepared to walk a lot of stairs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was staying at the Sohotel NYC in early March, with my husband and daughter. It's a lovely little boutique hotel conveniently located between Little Italy and Chinatown. Subways are located just minutes walk away, making transportation to Uptown very convenient. Food is not an issue as there are many decent and very reasonably-priced restaurants nearby.

There were many good reviews about that little Italian restaurant just next to the hotel (I think it was Piacere). But, don't go there. They have very few choices on the menu, food was expensive and comes in very small portion and a little tasteless, unfortunately. Walk a little further and explore Little Italy for more choices, cheaper and better food, if you want Italian.

We love the quaint set-up of the hotel. They gave us a room just behind the reception which was convenient, clean and very cosy. I would have given this hotel a 5-star rating except that 3 days out of the 5 days we stayed there, they did not replenish the lotion and shower gel even when we asked repeatedly. One of the beds were a little slanted, so it gave an uneven feeling when sleeping but comfortable, nonetheless.

If you don't mind minor inconvenience like this, the hotel is a great place to stay. I would go back there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I work in Tribeca and live in Connecticut and had an early morning meeting so needed a place to stay without heading home. Budget was an issue so wanted something on the inexpensive side. I've stayed at the Nolitan, which is very nice. It was booked and my travel agent recommended this. The rate was $80 higher than the night before - $319 - before taxes fees. Arrived their around 10:30pm. Lobby area had some construction going on. Receptionist was nice and helpful, and she told me I had been "upgraded." Didn't realize it was a walk-up hotel, but that's fine I suppose. Walked up a few flights, and expected to get a decent room. Room was tiny - I didn't expect big, so that was no big deal. Decor was pretty weak. No thought, and obvious chintzing everywhere, but amazing thing was THERE WAS NO WINDOW!. Just a little skylight. Frankly, I'm surprised it's legal in New York to have a hotel room without a window. All in, it cost me nearly $400 for a bad, walk-up room with no window. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Or at least, ask if your room has a window.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Williston, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have not stayed in too many "value priced" boutique hotels so we do not have a lot to compare it to. I had messed up my reservations by choosing the wrong date but they were able to give us a room for the night and adjusted the price accordingly. While we asked for a room towards the back of the hotel, they gave us one on the street front that was quite noisy. The room was very small (about 10 ' X 10') but clean.

The front desk asked me for my passport ??!! Even if I did have it with me I would not have given it to them and then they asked for my wife's I.D. ??!! Which I certainly did not give them. But they were nice about it and the security guard/bell captain was also very friendly as was the cleaning room person, so friendly service all around. It was also good to get a little discount at the parking lot around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask if you can see thee room before they assign it to you and try to get one that is not on the stre...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sohotel? Share your experiences!