“Yet again a fab stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. Marks Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
St. Marks Hotel
2 St. Marks Place, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #343 of 451 hotels in New York City
Leicester
“Yet again a fab stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

I have stayed at St Marks twice before and have just got back for the third time! The staff were polite and extremely helpful. Our rooms were beautifully cleaned daily!!! Location is amazing!!! I left my handbag in a cab with money and passport and the desk staff could not have been more helpful. Yes the hotel has no frills but is wonderful!!!! I ordered a taxi at the desk to JFK which they advised would be $55 +tips!!! that was fine as its only the yellow cabs that are $45!!! Thank you again for an amazing, clean and wonderful time!!!!! Definitely a truly authentic NYC experience!!!! I got my handbag back with everything in it even the $300!!!! This would be unlikely in the UK.... Keep up the work St Marks........

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

great location, great price for downtown Manhattan, clean and comfortable. however, at check-out they offered to call us a cab assuring the best price (45 bucks to La Guardia) and promising that it was an ordinary cab: instead, they called a car service which, as we found out, was way more expensive. better to go hail one for yourself.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I knew that I wasn't in for a luxury stay when I booked a room at St Marks. My friends had stayed and I knew it would be a no-frills place to sleep.

The reservation noted that our room had a skylight! When we got there, I realized that was another way of saying that there weren't any real windows other than the skylight -- as in no fresh air at all. There was however an air conditioning unit cranked to the 'ice cold' setting. It was hot outside so a/c was good, but the air conditioning was so freezing that I actually got the flu while I was staying there. HUGE BUMMER.

It was a pretty awesome area, lots going on, so you needed the air conditioner on to drown out the sounds from outside... and within. When it was off you could hear the creepy sounds from within. The carpets made a strange crunching noise when you stepped on them so I can only hope that the loud scratchy crunching sound that I heard at all hours was from our neighbours next door. I don't think it was rats but that's what it sounded like.

When we asked the hotel staff if there was any way of adjusting the a/c temperature the two dudes at reception were very quick to inform us that there were "no settings to adjust", it was either 'off' or 'on'. SO UNHELPFUL. Luckily, my boyfriend was able to craft up a makeshift ladder out of the furnishings to hoist himself up into the skylight and turned down the knob to adjust the temperature. They just lied because they were too lazy or didn't care.

The location was undeniably phenomenal. The cleaning staff were super nice. But I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Excellent location in the Lower East Village, hotel staff extremely helpful and friendly. Great shops/restaurants everywhere as soon as you step out onto the street, couldn't really fault the place. On arrival we were informed that the room was actually $10 a night cheaper than we had been quoted, bargain! Not luxury but excellent value for money!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Can't believe the superlatives this place is getting in reviews. Yes, it's an awesome location if you're an East Village/Lower East Side kind of person. Which I am. But damn, the door is open to St. Mark's Place all the time, staff behind plexiglass (and some guy with no shirt on was screaming at the clerk when we returned one evening then sped off), no AC in the building itself and super old fashioned AC unit in our room that clangs and bangs all nite (ear plugs helped the 2nd nite, but that was one super loud unit), ratty old blanket, shower that got warm at the best times and went cool at other times. Which in the sweltering heat of that weekend wasn't that bad but if it were winter, I wouldn't be psyched. $130 for 2 twin beds including tax is a decent price but I'll continue trying my luck with Priceline where I usually can get two real double beds in a real hotel for $120 pre tax. This is okay for a back up and I'd only recommend for location or if you really don't care about comfort at all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

This hotel was recommended by a guy who is a frequent visitor in NY and comes to town to play and to listen to music. St Marks is great for that purpose: centrally located in East Village, lots of little restaurants around, very close to Astor Place and 8th St./NYU subway stations. Excellent breakfast at Stage Restaurant, Veselka or a Vegetarian Deli all close to each other on 2nd Av. nearby.
For the price (we paid 150 dollars with tax for 3 people) you only get a very basic room: 2 beds, 2 chairs, 2 open cupboards, one little night table, shower with poor water-pressure and water changing between cold and hot (hardly ever nice and warm...).
There's no elevator and the stairs are very narrow and steep. Not for the old and weak! Our room (number 29) was facing another building so we didn't get the street noise (or a view from the window...) but there was a constant noise from some machine. They told us it comes from the restaurant downstairs. Ear plugs are a must!
All in all: great location if you like to hang out, not so great if you want a bit more quiet surroundings. Hotel is very very basic but we felt safe and it was clean. Anyhow, next time in NY I'll probably go some place else - unless this is the cheapest I can find...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is the best hotel i could find in new-york! It's cheap, near of everything and the people at the hotel were nice and friendly. The room was very small, but clean and comfortable and anyway, we were just sleeping here! I was travelling with my 13 years old cousine and she loved it too ! At the next door it was the coolest place ever : trash and vaudeville. You have to visit this shop! We came back to our hotel at midnight and feel very safe to walk in the streets. The subway is at 2 streets from the hotel and goes everywhere. I recommand it to everyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to St. Marks Hotel? Share your experiences!