“Clean and cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Marks Hotel

You added St. Marks Hotel to your Saves list
St. Marks Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 St. Marks Place, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #352 of 457 Hotels in New York City
“Clean and cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel has a great location, clean rooms and is dirt cheap. Rooms are small and worn (but clean), street is noisy and comfort is not really a big priority. However, the price is the lowest of any NYC hotel we checked, and for the price it was good value.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the street. The view is worth little anyway, and the noise is less of a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here will working the TriBeCa Film Festival located near by. My friend and I got one room for the night for $140. Great price for the expensive NYC. It's located in a interesting area, filled with tons of different types of restaurants, a bookstore (St. Mark's Bookstop) that's open until midnight, and a movie theatre. We went to the bar below (St. Mark's Bar) and the food was great also.

The hotel room was small yes, but not that small for New York and not uncomfortably so. I thought it was cute. We had two twin beds and a TV (slightly messed up and with a random assortment of channels but who goes to NYC to watch TV anyway?).

I would stay here again but do note the hotel only accepts cash.

• Stayed April 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at an inexpensive $150/night (for NY) hotel called St. Marks in the East Village. The only good thing about this place was its location. The room was furnished with Goodwill rejects, no dresser, no chairs, no desk, only 1 of 2 phones working, only 1 of 2 TV remotes working, no windows, a total of 2 towels in the bathroom, no hairdryer, and the room was infested with 2-inch roaches. When I complained, the only thing they did was send someone up with Windex to kill the roaches - WINDEX!!! To be fair there was a skylight that made the room so bright, I needed a blindfold to fall asleep. The only electrical outlets that held a cord were the ones in the bathroom. There were no ice machines anywhere on the property nor anywhere to purchase a cold bottle of water. There was no elevator which meant I had to go up 3 narrow flights of winding stairs to get to my room with my luggage, plus an additional flight just to get to the front desk. My TV satellite signal died after two hours. The water temperature in the shower (no bath) would turn cold for no reason every single time it was used. None of these things were ever addressed by the hotel staff nor was I given any compensation. In fact, when I asked for a late checkout, I was told in no uncertain terms they "don't do this". Did I mention the inside lock on the hotel room door was completely missing?

I could have overlooked many of the things wrong at this hotel had the staff made any attempt to fix them, but the huge roaches crawling in and out of my things and on me when I picked something up was the proverbial icing on the cake. I waited two days to open my suitcase when I got home, a can of RAID at my side, just in case.

Room Tip: NYC is not a cheap place to stay. If you can afford $200/night minimum, then you have plenty of pla...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I would stay here again but do note the hotel only accepts cash.

• Stayed April 2013
Murrieta, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Clean hotel in old historic bldg on tree lined street. Great Greenwich Village neighborhood, near NYU, Soho & Little Italy not to mention near great places to eat. Great location for seeing the real old New York with all the old historic bldgs kept up & in use. If you're a "Friends",fan, you'll love it. Only minutes to Times Square & Central Park by subway with station nearby, however an inexpensive fare by taxi.
The staff was friendly & I felt very safe in an area that I had previously not stayed.We were a family of 4 so it was great to have 2 bathrooms & with a wall between the 2 queen beds, it was like having 2 bedrooms. There is no elevator, but didn't expect one in an old blg. At the end of a long day of NYC sights & theater I have to admit the sight of the 2nd flight of stairs was daunting, however I'm a 72yr old woman and could handle them. The staircases did have an old world charm about them. There was street noise but not enough to keep me awake.
Little cafe on corner of lower floor had reasonable prices & good food.

Room Tip: If you traveling with more than two, chose the suite that has the two bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

People complaining about small rooms have never stayed in New York obviously. Want a bigger room, pay $400 to $1200 a night! It is a historic hotel in Greenwich Village, the East Village. You can walk to restaurants, subways and Washington Square to name a few. Night life is great. New York University is right down the street. Who visits Manhattan to stay in a room and watch TV?

I own a business. I understand why they do not take credit cards. Fees can be over $5000 yearly. Sammy and his staff were always polite & helpful. Our plane was late, but I called to let them know that we would be there after 10pm. (bad experience with NAMED hotels giving away our room, even after we had paid with a credit card and a reservation)

People who complain about this hotel don't travel very much or think they are entitled to everything for nothing. I wish the beds were softer, but when you go to plays on Broadway, shop in SoHo, great dining (Jack's on 11th Street) and the night life, I slept pretty good. New York city is loud no matter where you go. Want quiet, stay in the burbs. Wish there was an elevator, but it is an older hotel. After a long day, who wants to walk up stairs.

If you have read this far, you will need to bring our own wash cloth. Most people do not use them. This is another cost they save on. They do not have hair dryers as well. Not sure why some were complaining about no amenities. They supplied shampoo, rinse and soap. I hate hotel soap so I always travel with my own shampoo, cream rinse and soap.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Small Rooms, Broken Blinds, Tiny TV, no hot water at night, see thru curtains & I couldn't figure out the heat/a/c. However, I would stay here again. The staff was nice, it's an excellent location and I was able to pay cash upfront for my entire stay. Loved the cafe/pizza place beneath the hotel, breakfast was $5 for pancakes, bacon and coffee.The only thing that really got to me was the noise. It's so loud you think the window was open and there is no elevator.

Reception will hold your luggage for you after you check out. They are very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to St. Marks Hotel? Share your experiences!