“Don't expect the works but great for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. Marks Hotel

You added St. Marks Hotel to your Saves list
St. Marks Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 St. Marks Place, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #353 of 458 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Don't expect the works but great for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here will working the TriBeCa Film Festival located near by. My friend and I got one room for the night for $140. Great price for the expensive NYC. It's located in a interesting area, filled with tons of different types of restaurants, a bookstore (St. Mark's Bookstop) that's open until midnight, and a movie theatre. We went to the bar below (St. Mark's Bar) and the food was great also.

The hotel room was small yes, but not that small for New York and not uncomfortably so. I thought it was cute. We had two twin beds and a TV (slightly messed up and with a random assortment of channels but who goes to NYC to watch TV anyway?).

I would stay here again but do note the hotel only accepts cash.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Murrieta, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Clean hotel in old historic bldg on tree lined street. Great Greenwich Village neighborhood, near NYU, Soho & Little Italy not to mention near great places to eat. Great location for seeing the real old New York with all the old historic bldgs kept up & in use. If you're a "Friends",fan, you'll love it. Only minutes to Times Square & Central Park by subway with station nearby, however an inexpensive fare by taxi.
The staff was friendly & I felt very safe in an area that I had previously not stayed.We were a family of 4 so it was great to have 2 bathrooms & with a wall between the 2 queen beds, it was like having 2 bedrooms. There is no elevator, but didn't expect one in an old blg. At the end of a long day of NYC sights & theater I have to admit the sight of the 2nd flight of stairs was daunting, however I'm a 72yr old woman and could handle them. The staircases did have an old world charm about them. There was street noise but not enough to keep me awake.
Little cafe on corner of lower floor had reasonable prices & good food.

Room Tip: If you traveling with more than two, chose the suite that has the two bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

People complaining about small rooms have never stayed in New York obviously. Want a bigger room, pay $400 to $1200 a night! It is a historic hotel in Greenwich Village, the East Village. You can walk to restaurants, subways and Washington Square to name a few. Night life is great. New York University is right down the street. Who visits Manhattan to stay in a room and watch TV?

I own a business. I understand why they do not take credit cards. Fees can be over $5000 yearly. Sammy and his staff were always polite & helpful. Our plane was late, but I called to let them know that we would be there after 10pm. (bad experience with NAMED hotels giving away our room, even after we had paid with a credit card and a reservation)

People who complain about this hotel don't travel very much or think they are entitled to everything for nothing. I wish the beds were softer, but when you go to plays on Broadway, shop in SoHo, great dining (Jack's on 11th Street) and the night life, I slept pretty good. New York city is loud no matter where you go. Want quiet, stay in the burbs. Wish there was an elevator, but it is an older hotel. After a long day, who wants to walk up stairs.

If you have read this far, you will need to bring our own wash cloth. Most people do not use them. This is another cost they save on. They do not have hair dryers as well. Not sure why some were complaining about no amenities. They supplied shampoo, rinse and soap. I hate hotel soap so I always travel with my own shampoo, cream rinse and soap.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Small Rooms, Broken Blinds, Tiny TV, no hot water at night, see thru curtains & I couldn't figure out the heat/a/c. However, I would stay here again. The staff was nice, it's an excellent location and I was able to pay cash upfront for my entire stay. Loved the cafe/pizza place beneath the hotel, breakfast was $5 for pancakes, bacon and coffee.The only thing that really got to me was the noise. It's so loud you think the window was open and there is no elevator.

Reception will hold your luggage for you after you check out. They are very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shelton, Ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here just to sleep after hitting the NYC nightlife. It's just a old basic hotel. We had to go up many sympathies to get to our room. I don't think there was a elevator. The room was VERY small. Bathroom had only a shower stall no tub. And only enough room for one person. Our bed didn't have a bedspread. Only a blanket. It was ok with us because it was pretty warm in the room. Like I said, it's a good clean place if you aren't looking for much more than a place to crash.

Room Tip: No pool or restaurant. This is a rooms only hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hello all! My husband and I had an enjoyable stay at the St. Mark's Hotel. Beyond the descriptors in the title, staying in the heart of the East Village was a blast! Conveniences and fun places to visit (i.e., parking, Panya (a great little breakfast and coffee house), Little Italy, Chinatown, and the shops of soho) are just a few blocks away. I doubt that a hotel offering a better value for your dollar exists in NYC...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had a bad experience at the St. Marks Hotel due to their unconventional way of doing business. They don't make reservations and you are required to pay one day at a time by cash only. I had planned to spend 4 nights there but was kicked out after 3 nights because I didn't make it to the front desk in time to pay for the 4th night even know they knew I was planning to.
Staff was rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to St. Marks Hotel? Share your experiences!