“it's all about location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Marks Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added St. Marks Hotel to your Saves list
St. Marks Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 St. Marks Place, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #362 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Ottawa, Canada
“it's all about location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a bunch of friends. I think we got the suite which the reservation email referred to as the "deluxe double" - so there was a little inconsistency there, and it was also a little vague regarding the details of what a "suite" or a "deluxe double" gets you. What we ended up with, was a 2 double, 2 bathroom room.

Note that during the week there is construction near by - you won't be able to sleep in due to the noise.

The room itself was pretty adequate. For the price in NYC and for the location, you cannot really complain. The hotel is within walking distance from several metro stops and IN Japan town with a 24hr grocery store on St Marks St and plenty of pizza and other food near by. The truth is, the room had very little by way of flat surfaces. We made due without it, but it drove me crazy. I didn't have a place to put my cup of water! Again, these are minor things, when all you need is a clean place to sleep in the busy city. As well, the toiletries were not so great, so I would recommend that you bring your own (or if you forget, then walk down to the 24hr walgreens). Also, if you're sensitive to air conditioning, then you will not like this hotel. The window units are used, and it's difficult to get the right setting. Bring a small blanket and you'll probably sleep better.

I gave this hotel an average rating because the hotel itself is average. I've stayed in 4 star hotels in Manhattan, near times square and in the financial district, and I would recommend this hotel over the others solely based on its location close to many metro stops and great food! It is clean, but a little old. There are zero amenities, but the location is what saves this hotel.

Room Tip: Consider all your options by asking for the rates for all the rooms available that would suit your n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was expecting them to charge by the hour by the looks of the place. This is just an amazing location with a real east village feel but it's tiny rooms, seedy guests, hallway bathroom, and no reservations necessary. I'm thinking it's used for unsavory purposes more than for tourism.

• Stayed October 2011
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I can't agree more with other reviewers here about the Hotel's great location (my fave spot in NY) and the room (clean and airy with window overlooking the bustling street). But I wasn't fortunate enough with the staff. The men at the reception were okey but rather indifferent. Perhaps the busy summer bug? I stayed with my partner here for two separate nights only as emergency (we didn't like our bnb) before we moved to another. There was a rather unpleasant incident (someone literally burnt his/her bed) which sent us hurriedly to the streets at wee hours - firemen everywhere and the sirene! And none of the staff apologised or said something about it. But all in all, we'll come back if we have to simply and purely for the location, the room and value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Clean rooms, one block from the subway, in one of the best neighborhoods in New York for only US $120.00 (one twin bed and a bathroom). What else could you ask for? Maybe an elevator and credit cards accepted? But then it wouldn't cost so little (for New York standards).

• Stayed April 2012
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is definitely a no frills hotel but aside from that the entire place is unbelievably clean, has a great price for NYC and is in an excellent location. You could spend almost all your time in NYC just in the blocks surrounding this hotel and be completely entertained for days. The area surrounding the hotel seems to be cheaper than the rest of the city and extremely safe.

Another plus is that there are multiple subway lines that run within a block or two of the hotel which make it easy to get to LaGuardia, Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn, Central Park and just about any other area you'd like to visit during your stay.

If you are looking for cheap eats try Mamouns for falafel next store. It is $2.50 for a pita with felafel but I would stay away from the hot sauce as it is unbearable.

My only problem with this hotel was that is was very hard to control the water temperature in the shower. It seemed like just when you got it at the right temp it would suddenly become boiling hot or freezing cold. Also, if you don't like stairs this isn't the place for you along with most other places in NYC!

I will definitely stay here again next time I go to NYC.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We normally stay in midtown area .this time we decided to try lower Manhattan .after a taxi driver told us about this hotel and the location, we were planning to spend $250.00 a night in another hotel but that driver saved us a lot we felt bad after that we didn't tip him good .it was excellent choice .you are in the middle of everything you may need ,Restaurants ,Bars ,clubs ,metro station ,shops .....easy check in and check out .rooms are little bite small But Supper Clean bathroom and Shower with White and black Tiles very clean .and shiny for the price of $140.00 including taxes we got a room with Queen bed you can not beat that price .the area is very safe the staff are amazing .very friendly and answering any question you have .rooms in front are little bite noisy the first morning we asked for quitter room the gentlemen in the office changed our room with no problem and he sent someone to move our luggage .
in general if you looking for a clean and affordable place st marks hotel is the right choice .definitely i will go back

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great location ,nice and clean .in the middle of everything ,very safe ,subway is one block away .cleaning service every morning ,staff very friendly I asked few times for a direction the man was very helpful he even offered and hold my bags after check out so we did spend few more hours in the city before getting home .
This is my first time in this hotel and I am so happy to find it ,definitely no more 4 or 5 stars hotels why to pay much money for a hotel while you spending all day outside .
St marks hotel is definitely my place in New York clean,safe,good service ,good location in affordable price .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to St. Marks Hotel? Share your experiences!