“A steal off Times Square” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. James

You added Hotel St. James to your Saves list
Hotel St. James
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   109 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #295 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Saint Paul, MN
“A steal off Times Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

A great deal if you don't plan on spending too much time in your room. It's not the Ritz Carlton, but we were pleasantly surprised at how clean it was. Just a block off Times Square, you can't ask for a better location. $150/night + tax for a room with one queen bed, TV, AC, dresser. All rooms are now renovated, but we wish they would have added insulation to the walls! That's really our only complaint, but if you get good quiet neighbors it's a quaint little hotel. We would definitely return.
Pros: location, price, new bathrooms
Cons: no parking, thin walls

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

Just a quick blip to those in search of cheap digs in New York. I was almost gonna cancel my trip after every rate I was quoted exceeded my budget of $180 per night. One of the hotels I had called was sold out and recommended a place called Hotelconxions (yeah it's spelt that way)! They recommended the St James Hotel which they told me was the best deal in New York and clean. I really didn't expect much at a price of $159 for 2! Nice surprise. Spacious, clean, affordable and a midtown location. Would recommend Hotelconxions and of course the St James Hotel.

Burbank, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

The hotel isn's as bad as it used to be. The renovations are a definite improvement, especially considering that this is the same hotel that Tom Hanks' character in the movie "Big" moved into when he first became an adult.

• Stayed January 2006
Pine Knoll Shores, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

My daughters and I spent 3 nights and had no problems. Had read the reviews, so I took my own wash cloths, coffee maker, shampoo, hair dryer etc. The radiator heat was sort of noisy but warm and after the first night we didn't even notice the sounds. Plenty of clean towels every day, the daily housekeeping was fine-we were careful to leave tips each day! We asked for and got a "refurbished" room, but the carpet was not refurbished-very worn. There were rolls of new carpet in the lobby, so perhaps that is coming next. The room and halls smelled fine-we were on the 7th floor. The TV had no remote, but we could get several stations. We were looking for a clean place to sleep near the theater district, which is what the St. James is-less than one block from Times Square. Not fancy, but cheap for NYC.

Stayed March 2006
Layton, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

We're looking at a return visit to New York in a couple of months, and I couldn't believe there were so many negative comments on this hotel. We were there with our daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandsons in May of 2004 (just noticed my daughter wrote a review about the 15th of May 2004). It is an old hotel, but the price was so great. The big name hotels can be $300-$500 a night on Times Square. Hotel St. James is just a few short blocks away, and I agree with one of the reviewers about the deli next door. They had excellent food and we just took it back to the room. We had lots of other places to see, and the subway is just around the corner. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and adequate. Not great, but totally adequate. Sure the elevator was slow, but who was in a rush? Not us. As we were checking out they were getting new air conditioners delivered, so that has to make it better for the summer visitors. If we really do make it to New York the end of May, I certainly will be looking at staying at the Hotel St. James again.

• Stayed May 2004
Beckley, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

WOW, I am shocked to see good reviews of this hotel. It was truly a DUMP. We had a large party so we rented 3 rooms, I didn't get to jsut see one DUMP.

My first impression wasn't so bad. the lobby looked like any other hostel you'll stay in, clean and kinda neat. The clerks were behind glass, for their safety. Typical in NYC.

I headed to the room and oh my. The first room I went to we couldn't get the door open. We tried using the key and it wouldn't work. As we pulled the key out, well teh door knob came off as well. Once inside the room it looked as if someone had been murdered. It was nasty, stained on the walls, floors and the blinds. The blinds were ripped to pieces and hanging there, no privacy thorugh them at all.

The second room was just as bad. Stains everywehre and the biggest problem a LARGE whole in the ceiling that was stuffeed with plastic bags!!!

THe third room "appeared" to be ok. Until about 3 am when a loud banging started happeneing in the floor in the bathroom. As I got up to inspect the floor was so hot it burnt your feet. Im shocked I didn't have shoes on anyhow, it was nasty. The floor was so hot to the touch you ahd to put on shoes. NOt sure what that was about, btut aht tile was HOT. When the lights were turned on BUGS scattered acrosst he room and even out of the bed.

I will never return to this place, it is terrible and I do NOT reccomend it to anyone looking for a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed March 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

I stayed at St. James Hotel last week and I must say I can highly recommend it. There were three of us on a shopping trip so we weren't looking for luxury as we weren't planning on spending too much time in the room! On arrival we were met by a friendly receptionist and checked in quickly. I had requested a renovated non smoking room with 2 double beds (most rooms seem to be renovated by now, but request one just in case)
The room was fine, spotlessly clean, new beds, comfy pillows and the bathroom with powerful shower was also in pristine condition. It was on the 7th floor and very quiet at night despite the fact that Times Square was a 30 second walk away! The location cannot be beaten and neither the price. We paid EUR330 in total for 3 nights, EUR110 each! Got to see 2 shows as we were so near the ticket booths to queue for half price tickets. There are 2 deli's right next door to the hotel for breakfast, huge choice and very reasonable.
When we checked out, the staff allowed us to leave our bags until 7pm when we returned....at no charge! I have been charged alot for this service in other hotels. I am definitely returning to St. James, already booked it for our Christmas shopping trip.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Hotel St. James? Share your experiences!