“We Love this place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. James

Save Saved
You added Hotel St. James to your Saves list
Hotel St. James
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   109 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #289 of 449 hotels in New York City
marco island, us
“We Love this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The location is perfect, the rooms are very clean and the staff is excellent. They supply lots of pillows and towels. Its located a half block from Times Square. The front desk staff was friendly and seemed to actually enjoy their job. I would highly recommend staying there. Oh ya, the rates are very reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

2,033 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled to NYC for 4 nights on Feb. 6 and got a fabulous deal on the St James Hotel in Times Square. I had only moved away from NYC 3 years ago. We were excited to see old friends and family. When first arriving to the hotel there was construction being done inside and out, which we thought explained the great deal. It seemed clean, but just a much older building in need of serious updating. The room was a decent size with large windows that opened (a nice bonus because of how high the heat was). Although, when we open the window there was the crazy sound of generators for the two connecting buildings (somewhat unavoidable in NYC lol). The carpet was extremely old and in dire need of being replaced. The bathroom was clean and seemed like they had replaced the tile walls fairly recently. There was a nostalgic nonworking fireplace in the room which was nice for aesthetics. The location was perfect! On W 45th Street in the heart of Times Square. On our last night at the St James hotel I was attacked by bed bugs!!! Ruined the entire Hotel for me. I had bites on my side, arm, neck, and covering my upper back!! At first I did not know what the bites were, but after googling it found out they were indeed (as horrifying as it is) BED BUGS! I have informed the Hotel, and the website we booked through. They have still done nothing about it! Save yourself and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Impressive the position, so close to Times Square.
Just in the heart of Manhattan, from there it takes only 15 minutes of walking to reach Central Park and even lesser to reach the Empire State Building.
The perfect location if you want to talk Manhattan up and down.

Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is as close to Times Square as you can get. Its literally a 1 minute walk from the hotel. Next door is also an excellent Deli where you can grab a cheap breakfast.
The hotel is very good value for money but the decor is very dated and basic. Our room was small, which can be expected for the money we paid and the location we had but the wallpaper was shabby and the TV aerial was hanging off the wall. To be honest, once we started exploring New York this wasnt an issue as it was only a place to lay our heads at night. The room was clean and tidy so would definately use again. The close proximity to Times Square was fantastic.

The staff were very helpful and couldn't be faulted. Would recommend to anyone wanting good, cheap hotel accommodation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my second time to stay at this hotel and because the 2nd experience was a fantastic as the 1st....it is now my ONLY place to stay in NYC!

Excellent staff, location and service. It is easy walking distance to Times Square, Broadway, Restaurants, Shopping and the subways. It's not the Ritz but I don't expect that. I expect clean rooms, great service and friendly staff. This property exceeds those expectations!

There are no coffee pots in the rooms so the first trip we went to the Deli next door (which is fantastic and has an awesome $6 FULL breakfast) but this time we took a small travel size coffee pot. Worked perfect. You are within steps from O'Lunney's which is awesome and just around the corner from Tony's. I recommend both! O'Lunney's is the perfect place for dinner or a nightcap after a long day of shopping!

Ive heard others complain about the noise...what the heck? It's NYC. There is ALWAYS noise. That's part of the atmosphere! If you want peace and quiet, I guess you need to go to small remote island somewhere!

There is a very reasonably priced shuttle from the hotel back to the airport. It can all be set up in the lobby area. I haven't checked on the price from the airport to the hotel but will do that on my next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Firstly, if you're expecting all mod-cons at under $100 a night in midtown Manhattan, you need to start lowering your expectations! I booked here mainly due to the location, but also due to the price - I couldn't quite believe how low priced this hotel was, considering where it was based.

I was a bit apprehensive given some of the reviews on here, but it's absolutely fine. Sure, it's a bit old-fashioned, and it's showing some signs of wear & tear. But my room was pretty large and reasonably clean, and its major selling point is its location. On West 45th Street, you're literally 3 minutes walk from Times Square, right in the heart of New York City - it's still reasonably quiet, depending on where your room is. If you're at the front of the hotel, you'll hear some traffic noise but this is surely to be expected, staying in New York.

The hot water system is a bit bizarre - on my first night, it seemed to take forever to warm up - and the walls are very thin (I could hear literally every word the couple next door was saying, and they weren't shouting, just speaking normally). There are a few improvements that the Hotel St James could make, the most obvious being a breakfast. This was the first hotel in NY I've stayed at (and I've stayed at a few) where breakfast wasn't provided. It wasn't particularly a problem as there are plenty of diners around, and also a Cafe Europa about 2 blocks away, but it does make a difference to your budget when you're not shelling out $10 every day for a breakfast. There's also a nice Starbucks just over the road, which is handy as there's no coffee/tea making facilities in your room or in the hotel as a whole.

The staff were friendly and helpful, especially with the transportation back to the airport. The flat rate fee to and from the airport has recently increased, and I found, as a solo traveller, that the hotel shuttle bus was a much more affordable option. The concierge was very helpful when I booked this in the morning, and even found me in the evening when I came back to refund me a dollar which she'd accidentally overcharged me.

If you're willing to spend a far bit more, the Casablanca about 2 blocks away may be a better bet for you. But if budget is your main concern and you still want to stay somewhere very central, the Hotel St James is worth a punt.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel may have some noise from Times Square. Ask for one at the back if th...