“AVOID AT ALL COSTS!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Wanderers Inn

The Wanderers Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Wanderers Inn
You added The Wanderers Inn to your Saves list
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   179 East 94th Street, Upper East Side, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
slm323
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Unless you enjoy dirty filth, I would NOT recommend staying here. My friend and I (both in our early 30's and from Missouri) stayed here 1 night and we slept fully clothed as we were afraid to even touch anything. Yes, we are from the Midwest where everything is usually clean, nice, and reasonably-priced, but this was truly beyond what we could have even imagined as "slumming it" at a hostel in NYC. Trust me, we aren't "snooty" suburbanites who were mad that it wasn't like the Ritz. This was really really bad.

After paying for an "upgrade" to a private room, we still barely slept a wink. Every corner of the place had dirt. The bed and linens were nasty. The TV in room didn't work other a blue-screen. The bathroom was full of mold and filth. The air-conditioner in the window had no caulking, so all the draft came in and we froze. You get 1 sheet and no towels. No blankets. For $100, you'll get a dirty bed and a door to close. That's it really.

I would never, ever stay here again unless I was 18 years old and planned to go out and get so sloppy drunk that I didn't care what pile of garbage I put my head on. Avoid.

I would, however, recommend The American Dream hostel on 24th. Its very clean and reasonable as hostels go.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
South Bend, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

nice, clean, free breakfast, nice people, reasonable price, nice neighborhood, three blocks to subway

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I stayed in Tone on Lex over christmas 2008. The hostel is by no means a luxurious place to stay but I'm pretty sure people looking for luxury don't choose to stay in hostels. This place was a great base for exploring New York, just around the corner from the subway and a fairly short walk from the Metropolitan Museum, Guggenheim and Central Park.
We arrived late at night (about 11pm) and before we had even walked through the door we had received an amazingly friendly welcome from some of the staff and other guests, and were invited to go out with them. We had an amazing night out and because the staff knew New York really well we felt really safe.
The hostel was a really friendly and fun place to stay, and was really cheap too. We had a room on the ground floor and even though the heating was too high at night time the room was fine. The toilet and shower were small but adequate.
The staff were really knowledgeable about the city and gave us advice about the best things to see/do. Breakfast was pretty good - oatmeal/cereal, toast and juice/coffee - and set us up for the day.
Overall, I though it was great fun and a good place to stay for young budget travellers.

Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Upper East Side Manhattan (94th close to 3rd Ave), very safe area and within easy walking distance of shops, subway and Central Park. Very friendly staff and clean rooms. Bathrooms are a bit small. There is a well equipped kitchen with a fridge, microwave, toaster, wifi and internet access. Laundry can be done round the corner.

Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

In most aspects the hostel was really good, the staff is really nice and friendly. My only problem was that sometimes the heating was not on during the night and it would get pretty cold. Other than that I had a wonderful time.

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Taipei
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

When we arriving, the staff at front desk was not welcoming. He tried his best to discourage us paying with traveler's checks, even if there was a sticker on their window saying traveler's check is welcomed. He even used some *snobbish (sorry, this is my subjective feeling)* language like that nobody nowaday uses traveler's check. He even picks everything on the checks like the signature was not identical to the passport. But we never have such kind of problem when cashing money in banks in the US.

The heat in the double room was too hot. The sizzling sound due to steam emission was annoying at night. I opened the window to balance the indoor temperature, and there was no screen on the window. (If it was summer, opening the window may invite some insects into the room, I guess.) The walls between rooms were made in wood, so the sounds at the hallway or in the next room can be heard easily in our room. Moreover, the blankets and towels looked not clean.

There are two toilets and two shower rooms, shared by all the guests. They are kept clean and this is why I give them 2 points rather than 1 point.

By the way, if you are a foreigner, be sure you bring your passport even though you have your driver's license with you. They will not remind you about this in their confirmation email, or on the hostel.com websites. They said they put this info on their website, but I don't find it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Your Mum's House.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I recently stayed in this hostel during a trip to New York + Washington, and it didn't even compare to the Washington hostel. It was cold, dark, dirty and had very poor facilities. Didn't like it at all! :)

• Stayed October 2009

Been to The Wanderers Inn? Share your experiences!