“Bad Experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Wanderers Inn

The Wanderers Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Wanderers Inn
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   179 East 94th Street, Upper East Side, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Northern Ireland
“Bad Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

Upon arrival at the Hostel we were informed that the hostel was now under new management and that are previous booking was no longer valid but they would try to accomodate us. This is not the perfect start to any trip. The result was that we were able to stay three nights and then we had to find alternative accomodation. In terms of customer service this was very poor. The hostel itself was extremely basic with breakfast (bagels) served at 9am. Mind you the other guestes were considerate which facilitated a better feeling towards the hostel. Mind you when we were packing to leave we realised that we had been sharing a room with an unexpected visitor (think rodent) and he was not even contributing towartds the cost of the room. That said the rodent problem seems to be a New York 'thing' and therefore we werent to surprised to learn of our visitor.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I stayed here for 3 nights with a group of friends. The facilities themselves are ok, but our visit was ruined entirely by the rude and unhelpful staff. Make sure you don't arrive in the half and hour before or after a shift change (midnight, 8am, and 4pm) because you'll be left standing around for ages while they get themselves organised. I booked over the phone because not all of our group was arriving on the same night, and thought everything was fine. And it was, until the second day when the staff moved all of my belongings into another room without asking, because they had made a mistake with the room allocation. They'd left all of my friend's things in the old room.

When we went to check out, the man at the front desk accused me of making a mistake in my booking, which meant that they "had six empty beds we could have made money on". It was in fact completely their fault, but the staff member continued to berate me for making this 'mistake'. I eventually just walked out, but it was not a good note on which to finish my visit to NY.

My recommendation would be don't stay here, even if the price is great. But if you want some more specific info:
The rooms are very basic, but serviceable - every bed has a lockable cupboard, and the 10 bed room we were in had a bathroom and toilet attached. Beds are terrible though; very creaky and noisy!

Breakfast (bagels, pastries, coffee and tea) is provided, but the kitchen is tiny; I ate standing up every morning. The kitchen's also the only common area in the entire place, which was a bit of surprise given how many people can stay in the hostel.

• Liked — The location and the price
  • Disliked — The rude and unhelpful staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

Needed an emergency place to stay in NYC when the hotel we originally were booked at wasn't what we wanted. With one week to go, I began checking for a hotel within our price range, with very little luck. Finally, found this one in a travel book, checked out the reviews, and booked a night there. They were very helpful. The rooms are small, but it was fine for the little time we were spending there, since it was only for one night. Had a shared bath, but, it was usually available. Did have our own room, so all was well.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — room was kind of small.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

I booked a 5 night stay at the wanderers inn this october after reading at their website that all dates were open for a double room. Just to receive a mail the next day (after having enterered my creditcard details and all) saying that, no room was available. That is crappy service and it doesn't feel very safe to know that they get people to enter their creditcard details just to bump them off afterwards, so dont go there or at leats be sure to check your creditcard statements closely afterwards...

• Stayed August 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kairo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

This hostel has everything you wish for: nice, but quiet location. VERY friendly and helpful staff and a great atmosphere altogether.
You can meet travelers from all around the globe at the breakfast table (bagels, muffins and coffee). There is a pizza night with free pizza every wednesday and a movie night with free popcorn.
Bathrooms are very well cleaned. You can always get fresh towels. There is a lot of helpful information on budget activities all around. Happy!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — no free internet access
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

This was my first time staying on the upper east side, so I wasn't quite sure of what to expect. When I arrived at 2:00 a.m. at the 96th St. subway station and walked the two and a half blocks to the Inn, I felt completely at ease. Plenty of shops nearby, including a Duane Reade Drugstore (they're on every block in Manhattan) less than a block away. Even closer is The Barking Dog restaurant, where I ate my real breakfast both days (gotta have my omelet and hash browns, ya know). Sex and the City fans may remember Aidan wearing one of their shirts. There are many very good to great restaurants within a few blocks of the inn. Walk fewer than two blocks, and there is Park Avenue in all its glory, then Central Park and all the museums. Study your subway and bus maps, and you will be pleased at how easily you can go anywhere in the city. I rode the #6 train and 103 bus at all hours of the day and night, and found it to be much cleaner, friendlier and safer feeling than public transportation in Boston.

I had a private room with a private bath for under $100 a night--woot!! It was clean, had no odors (good or bad), and the bed was firm and comfy--it had fitted sheets instead of the flat ones that always come undone. The temperature and lighting were fine, and it was nice and quiet between 10pm and 8am, so I slept well. I was bowled over by the satellite tv--it had just about every channel in the universe, and all very clear. I've stayed in a wide variety of accommodations in NYC, and this is the first time I've had more than 5 or 6 very fuzzy channels. On the downside, if it had a sleep feature, I couldn't find it. The toilet and shower were immaculately clean, there was plenty of hot water and the
water pressure was perfect. I'm afraid, however, that anyone with a pot belly or taller than 5' 8" would have trouble accessing the commode. When you sit on the toilet seat, your legs are under the sink (great for brushing your teeth at the same time!). Also, there is a step up to the bathroom facilities that I found a bit inconvenient, especially when stepping out of the shower. Oh, and there was no closet--just two hooks to hang things on. If you need anything beyond basic comfort, you won't be happy here, but if you can bear the lack of bedspread and down pillows, you'll be quite content. I found the staff to be very helpful, and they actually remembered to do things that they said they would. The breakfast featured wonderful muffins and bagels. Didn't care for the coffee--it didn't have much flavor. While I was there, a large group of students from France was occupying the rest of the Inn. They were ubiquitous, filling the common room, the halls, standing in line for the shower. A little much.

TIPS:
> Bring a couple of little plastic over-the-door hooks if you want to hang up your clothes.
> If you like to read in bed, bring your own booklight.
> I was very glad that I brought my own washcloth and hand towel (the kind you take camping) --the inn provided only a bath towel.
> I don't think that The Wanderers Inn is accessible. It has only stairs, and most of the rooms are on the second floor.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Small common room always crowded
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2007

We stayed here for a week in mid February 2007. We managed to book a private double room with private bathroom and shower in the room. It is a fairly old property but our bathroom was fine and clean. It was great to have internet access in the kitchen. The only fault I could pin on the place was that it did get noisy most nights when people were coming and going for the night - they didn't seem to have a curfew or quiet policy of sorts so that made it a bit annoying - one night two men decided to have a screaming match over a girl right outside our door which wasn't that pleasant. The staff seemed helpful to us though and were very flexible for us to stay in our room for a couple of hours after the prescribed check out time, even when we offered to pay an extra night. A great place for a budget conscious traveller who wants to feel how real New Yorkers live.

• Liked — the proximity to central park and the museums/galleries
  • Disliked — the noise outside our room at night
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Wanderers Inn? Share your experiences!