“Great location - but that's about it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

Save Saved
You added Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC to your Saves list
Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 9th Avenue, at 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly Hotel Gansevoort) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Get 10% off at Gansevoort
Ranked #182 of 454 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Great location - but that's about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I often try and stay in Meatpacking when I am over in NY as I'm a member at Soho House but can never get a room there (or - to be fair - afford their rates!)
This is a good place with a great location - really convenient for what I wanted. I love the meatpacking and being able to head to fab places for lunch, walk on the highline, do a little shopping there or the west village. It's what makes the difference for me when I am away from home.
For me it's all about location in cities whether work or play and this definitely has that.
I stayed in the Park Ave Gansevoort a year ago but I'd say in comparison with that I'd say this one feels just a little worn around the edges. Old & tired and a little past it.
It just isn't that welcoming - I get that the door men/bouncers need to be there because the top floor turns into a night club - but when I've stepped off a 7 hour flight I'd really like someone to open the door, offer to take my luggage and be just a tiny bit friendly (receptionist was trying to be too 'cool for school'). I don't think it's too much to ask when you're paying these rates.
I couldn't get up to the pool for a morning swim (it was already after 7am) because they block the elevators and everything just felt too difficult and too geared towards maintaining it supposedly "cool" reputation.
Perhaps I'm past it and don't 'get' it but I think it needs to cater to hotel guests in their mid 30s more and not a bunch of prom kids screaming down the corridors at night! I should like this hotel but I didn't!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear misselaneyous,

Thank you for the thorough review. We deeply regret your experience was not up to par and we apologize you didn't feel well-taken care of. You should have been pleasantly greeted when you arrived and we're disappointed you didn't feel well-attended. On another note, we're glad you enjoyed the Meatpacking District's attractions. We would love another chance to prove our devotion and provide a flawless trip from check-in to check-out. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My boyfriend I stayed here in April for 6 nights and had the most wonderful time. The hotel staff were impeccable. Well mannered, helpful, professional and gave us some great tips on where to eat etc. On our last night upon checkout, the hotel staff at the from desk where so kind as to offer us a free fruit platter and bottled water for being great guests! How awesome. The room was well designed and beautifully decorated. The hotel lobby was fun to be in, we spent a great afternoon drinking cocktails from the bar and playing pool. The rooftop boast breathtaking views and a cool atmosphere. What else could one ask for when visiting the greatest city in the world?! Thanks to the Gansevoort, for making our experience that much better. I have no doubt that upon our return in the future, we'll be staying with you again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle C,

Thank you for the fantastic review. It was a pleasure having you and we're glad you had an outstanding experience. It's the small details that can leave a significant impression and we're happy you enjoyed the complimentary snacks. It’s wonderful you had a chance to lounge in our lobby. You can never go wrong with playing pool, while sipping cocktails. It’s wonderful you had a chance to lounge in our lobby. We truly appreciate your kind words and we look forward to your next visit to NYC.

Ormond Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Pros:
Location, location location!
Fun people watching.
Fun rooftop bar, night club.
Great Concierge who can get you anywhere!
Cons:
Worn.
Grouchy night time "door men" who are there because the top floor turns into a night club. They do not show respect for those that are a paying hotel guests.
Horrible, small weight/cardio room. Fuzzy or no cable in work out area. Grouchy woman working area.
Loud noise in corridors that carries into your room. It is a party hotel. Not a glamorous hotel like a Ritz or Four Seasons but they charge more.
The upstairs club noise can be heard in your room as you try and sleep.
No bottled water or coffee for guests without a $5 or more charge.
Small rooms.

Room Tip: No good rooms. All loud.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear JPGTR,

Thank you for the thorough review. We deeply regret your experience wasn't up to par. We strive to provide impeccable service and we apologize for any misunderstanding with our security guards or gym team members. Additionally, we apologize for the noise disruption. Next time, our reservations department will happily book a room that better suits your needs. On another note, we're thrilled you enjoyed the Meatpacking District, as it is filled with delicious restaurants, energetic nightlife and more. We're also glad our concierge was able to point you in the right direction. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I has a date night and decided to stay at this hotel. We are coming from New Jersey so we ares very close so decided to go to dinner and stay over night. The ride is was a breeze. We arrived and were greeted by John who was fantastic. He welcomed us and answered and questions we had and also valeted our car for us. A great start to our day. We checked in which went smooths room was ready upon our arrival. We went to our room which was supposed to have a view of the Empire State Building. Yes we could see it but only the tip of it. So that was disappointing. My husband had ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and they were missing from the room. He called and they said they would bring them up at 3. That was fine since we were leaving for lunch.
We ate at plunge which was fantastic. Great view and food. Service was also good.
We went out to do some shopping and we got back to our room after 4 and still no delivery. My husband had to call back and see what was up and they apologizes and brought it right up. They did handle the fee for the mix up which was super nice.
We had a spa at 530 so I decided to call down to see if we could go early. When I called they said they did not have our reservation. When they went to see the problem they came back to tell me that we were booked for a spa at the park avenue hotel. They could not accommodate me at our hotel. This was very disappointing. When booking spa we calked the hotel we were staying in and even clarified that it was in the meat packing district. So when booking spa check and double check. We had to pay for a car to take us to the other hotel. Spa was great but very hectic.
When we went to get a car Raul who works at the hotel listened to our complaints and him and the other man working helped us get a ride. Upon our arrival back to the hotel Raul had told Valerie our issue and she apologized and gave us her card for anything we needed. Also gave us some vouchers for drinks. Super nice.
We ate dinner at scarpetta which is fantastic. We has dessert at the sugar factory which Raul told us about and again fantastic.
The next day we packed up and then went for breakfast at bubbys. Great food. We went to Chelsea market and as we were shopping we realized we had no idea what time check out was. I took out Valerie's card and called hotel. They told me no one by that name was there. Ok so I calked back again and it was an architectural firm. Really wrong number on business card.
We called hotel and they told me check out was 12 they said I could have until 1230 I asked for a bit more time they gave me 1. I was not impressed with this. We ended up leaving by 1215.
My husband and I laugh About how hectic our one night out was. We still had a great time. We are thankful for john and Raul and the offer guys working to greet you at the hotel if it was not for them we would never think about going back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Spyder625,

Thank you for the detailed review. We deeply regret your trip did not surpass your expectations and we apologize for any miscommunication. We aim to provide flawless service and we're disappointed you didn't feel well-taken care of. The chocolate covered strawberries and Champagne should have been delivered upon arrival and we deeply regret its tardiness. We also apologize for the misunderstanding with Exhale Spa. We appreciate your invaluable feedback as it will ensure all future visits are seamless. On another note, we're pleased John and Raul were helpful and we're glad you had a chance to enjoy the Meatpacking District's attractions. We'd love the opportunity to prove our dedication and provide an impeccable trip in the future. Please feel free to contact Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My party and I stayed one night in mid July. We spent the afternoon enjoying the pool - Good drinks, good food. The room was great too, with a large bathroom and amaaazing blackout curtains for sleeping! The location is key for dining out and enjoying the nightlife. We started the night on the rooftop, which was packed and a good scene. We then took a walk to the nearby lounges and partied til 4am, The next morning we took a quick walk to Chelsea Market and had lots of choices for breakfast.
We will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear 484Guest,

Thank you for the brilliant review. We're pleased you enjoyed your mid-summer getaway and we're glad your experience was nothing short of amazing. You made a great decision by spending the afternoon lounging poolside. We're also elated you loved our rooftop's ambiance day or night. We agree, waking up in a dark room after a long night out can make a huge impact on the rest of the day. We're happy you plan to return and we look forward to having you again soon.

Shelton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Gansevoort in the meatpacking district is an unreal time for anyone in their 20's and 30's looking to rip it up. The modern feel of the hotel was distinct and didn't make you feel like you were in one of the standard, stuffy overpriced NYC hotels. The rooms were clean, beds were comfy and the bathtubs were a perfect fit for two (wink, wink). Now we get to the rooftop pool, a fine little gem hidden on the 13th floor where the babes were plentiful and the drinks were heavy. Sipping on mojitos and basking in the sun almost gave me the impression that I was in South Beach... a thousand miles from Manhattan. Be expected to spend some money as this is NYC, but trust me when I say it was well worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Dellicious05,

Thank you for the phenomenal review. We're pleased you had an amazing stay and we're thrilled you enjoyed our chic yet contemporary vibe. We're glad you had a chance to take advantage of our enormous bathtubs and our comfortable beds. We agree, our rooftop pool is an ideal place to sun soak and lounge above the skyline and we're happy you loved the ambiance. We would love to have you again for another wonderful stay.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I hosted a bachelorette party of 11 guests at the Gansevoort Meatpacking. The level of care from the General Manager was outstanding - we spoke prior to my stay multiple times via email and between the upgraded suite and the bottle of celebratory champagne, I couldn't have been more pleased.

The bellhop was jovial and more than happy to help us unload our many bags and boxes.

Upon checking in, I was greeted by the on-duty manager, Valerie, and she was exceptionally sweet. She made sure I knew I could contact her with any issues or requests. She took her time to show me the upgraded suite before we officially checked in and she spent time chatting with me to make me feel excited about my stay. Many thanks to her!

We enjoyed our time at the pool (albeit small). We also enjoyed our lunch at the restaurant in the lobby. My salad was forgotten, then brought out wrong, and the host personally apologized, hand delivered the correct salad, and then removed it from the bill. A class act!

We had an issue in the suite with the air conditioning - we were way too hot. First an electrician came to assess the problem. When he couldn't remedy the situation quickly, two men arrived with multiple fans to help cool our room immediately. That did the trick!

Overall, our stay was great and the staff was VERY attentive to our needs during our stay.

Thanks!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear coko383,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We're sending our well wishes to the bride-to-be and we're thrilled your stay exceeded your expectations. We are dedicated to ensuring your experience is nothing short of amazing and we're glad you felt cared for. Valerie and the rest of our team will be pleased with your kind remarks, as we know they look forward to your next visit. We apologize for the inconvenience at The Chester, but we're glad they could quickly amend the issue. Additionally, we're happy we were able to provide a speedy solution for the air conditioning difficulties. It was truly wonderful having you and we hope you visit again soon.

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Been to Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC? Share your experiences!