“Carpe Diem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

You added Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC to your Saves list
Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 9th Avenue, at 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly Hotel Gansevoort) (West Village)   |
Ranked #165 of 463 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Carpe Diem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I'm all about seizing the moment. At times we have had the "I don't want to be a bother" feeling & that's exactly how my friend felt on her birthday this week. Granted we were only 6 days into 2014 and it was the coldest night that the city has seen in over almost 100 years; She's one of my closest friends so I chose to brave the weather & book a room at Gansevoort in the Meatpacking district for a night of fun. Being a native of the NYC I've seen the hotel in passing & have always wanted to have an experience there. In no time she was convinced & we were on our way.

Upon arrival we were welcomed by the most respectful staff that I've encountered in a while. We were shaking from our 30 second walk from the car to the lobby but since my information was already in the system the thought of the weather quickly faded due to the expedited service. The ceilings are high, the lighting is soft and the doorman is on point. We really didn't have to wait for entry. It's a very quiet controlled environment. I found it peaceful. We weren't accompanied by significant others so the 1 room was great. I'm a stickler for cleanliness and I have absolutely no complaints. You can tumble down their hallways and while I don't suggest it you probably won't have a spec of lint on your person afterwards. The bedding is so comfortable and the view oh wow. The view is incredible. From the high rise skyline to the cobblestone on the sidewalk you can see everything. It's totally worth every dollar and it was even worth the cold.

We spent the night celebrating at a nearby lounge, so much fun. A couple of friends drove us back. We were able to sit in the hotel lounge for a bit and chat. I'm a creative artist and the drinks were flowing all night. I was on a different wave & truly able to appreciate the space. It's opulent. The different textures made me feel as if anything were possible. Needless to say we over slept a bit. Woke up 20 min before check out and immediately called the front desk. We were greeted graciously and even offered help. I couldn't have asked for a better stay and I know my friend is appreciative as well. As long as you have some respect I'd recommend Gansevoort. It's modern and classy. Check out was just as easy as check in and I can't wait to book again this summer.

Sometime we have that "I don't want to be a bother feeling" fight it and book a room at Gasevoort, it's be worth it. 5 stars all the way.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear hervision,

Thank you for the detailed review. We were thrilled to provide you with a luxurious shelter away from the cold weather. We loved having you and will continue to provide the highest quality service every time you visit. We adore helping our guests create everlasting NYC memories. Aren’t the views from our rooftop breathtaking? There’s nothing better than taking an afternoon to sit back, relax and sip on a refreshment while looking out onto the Hudson River. We hope you return soon for another celebration or simply for a quick getaway!

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a great few days at the Gansevoort Meatpacking. Despite the snow and wind we were very cozy in our suite. Room was great and quiet, tons of space. Chris Richardson at the desk was great, and all the staff were very helpful. Love how easy it is to get cars and cabs and location is great for downtown!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear 727ZIL,

Thank you for the wonderful review. It was our pleasure to keep you warm during the frigid New York temperatures. As you mentioned, our location is ideal and close to plenty of renowned shopping and eateries. It’s great you took advantage of this aspect. Very much looking forward to taking care of you again!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The party was awsome! The place, super cosy, with different types of drinks, beautiful people, bathroom super clean, and a wonderful view of NY. The only think I didn´t like was the space...maybe because was a looooooooot of people.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dayana G,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We’re delighted you took comfort in our luxurious rooms. Aren’t the views from our rooftop stunning? It's an ideal spot for celebrating or relaxing above the skyline. Sounds like you found yourself amongst quite a night on the town! Please contact digital@theghg.com with any further comments or questions. We look forward to your return.

Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Wow what a treat, Chris Richardson the front desk concierge really made our trip enjoyable. This hotel is so lovely and in a wonderful location. Super close to a lot of activities and I would highly recommend it

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Mariahdee,

Thank you for the lovely review. Your compliments are truly valued and we’ll be sure to pass them along to Chris. You’re right, there is an abundance of opportunities steps from our front door, and it’s our pleasure to point you in the right direction. We look forward to your return!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am not the type of person who makes reviews on hotels; however, after my experience at the gansevoort hotel in the meat packing distinct I felt implored to reward quality service. I am a frequent traveler for business, and as such, hotel rooms can often blend into each other. But what often stands out from hotel to hotel is customer service. Chris Richardson was both extremely friendly and helpful to my demands. He helped me get my room early knowing I needed to make a business meeting. I can not begin to explain how important this was to me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear R K,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We always appreciate feedback and are glad you took the time to share your thoughts. Chris is an important member of our team and he’ll be thrilled with your compliments! We pride ourselves on ensuring that each guests needs are individually met, and are grateful to you for reconfirming our high standards. We’re looking forward to having you back.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I dont really usually write reviews but I was really well looked after during my stay- its in a great location, great vibe at the hotel and I was helped out of everything I needed by the staff- a guy called Chris Richardson sorted out everything I needed and was very professional. I will be staying here on all business trips to NYC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Laurence K,

Thank you for the delightful review. We agree that the hotel is perfectly suited for your business needs, and we’re thrilled to become your home-away-from-home during these work trips. We will continue to provide you with the ultimate in service and comfort every time. See you soon.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed at the Gansevoort on a family trip for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years. It's a fantastically designed modern hotel located right in the middle of the Meatpacking/Chelsea district. The surroundings are beautiful, and the Chelsea Market - a must visit - is literally a block away. Great place to head down for breakfast in the morning.

The rooms were perfectly adequate with all the right amenities, and compared to some other New York hotels I have stayed in - they're huge! We booked a 1 bedroom suite with an interconnecting double bed room and it was like having your own apartment, just without a kitchen. The decor is very interesting and "hip" - one of our rooms had a full length portrait of a fashion model spanned across an entire wall! You feel like you're in New York even when you're in the hotel room.

Service was quite mixed - while we didn't run into any rude employees, generally it's all a bit flat. Would be nice to see the staff give some more personality and go out of their way just that little bit extra to match the amazing energy of the property itself.

One incredibly frustrating aspect we encountered had to do with the key cards. I don't know what was going on - but it seemed every 10-12 hours our key cards would simply expire. This happened for the first five days of the trip and it drove us INSANE. We would have to go down and get new keys made twice to three times a day, and because we had interconnecting rooms - sometimes the front desk would mix the keys up and only allow them to open one room etc. I believe it was an issue with the batteries in the door handles, because once they called an engineer on the fifth day the problem stopped.

One of the biggest recurring critiques of this hotel is the noise. Let me tell you - ask for rooms ending in 16, 17 or 18 on each floor. These rooms are nestled away in the corner of the hotel, far from the elevators and the main street where most of the partying happens. It's definitely worth it - we had family staying in a room directly across from the elevator and they didn't get one night of good sleep.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Gansevoort. It's a great property located in a great area. With a little more attention to detail and personality from the staff, this could be one of the best hotels in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms ending in 16, 17 or 18! The noise is far less of a problem on this side of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear BH_Perth,

Thank you for the detailed review. We truly value your feedback and are constantly striving to become the best we can be. We’re glad you enjoyed our trendy New York ambience. We want our service to exude that same sense of quality and luxury. We will pass along your observations to our team. We regret to hear your family was kept up at night. Our reservations team is always more than happy to accommodate guests by moving them to a room better suited to their needs. We loved having you this holiday season and hope to exceed all of your expectations upon your next visit. Please contact us at digital@theghg.com with any further comments or questions. Thank you.

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Been to Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC? Share your experiences!