“Celebrating NYC Gay & Lesbian pride w/ an IGNORANT/NASTY employee” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

Save Saved
You added Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC to your Saves list
Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 9th Avenue, at 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly Hotel Gansevoort) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Get 10% off at Gansevoort
Ranked #189 of 452 hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Celebrating NYC Gay & Lesbian pride w/ an IGNORANT/NASTY employee”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My friends and I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last several years and more specifically my family and I have either come to visit or stayed at this location for the last 3 years. I have nothing but good things to say about the hotel staff including the front desk staff, the greeters at the door, the daytime cocktail waitresses and the housekeeping staff. However, after being treated the way I was yesterday I don’t anticipate any one of my friends or family will return. I find myself still mortified by the inappropriate behavior of one particular security staff member. My friends and I who occupied 3 hotel guest rooms as well as one suite had planned to stay for the New York Gay Pride weekend as we have done in years past. Saturday (6/29), the pool area was packed with people, but had a great vibe. On Sunday morning 6/30, the pool had only about 1/3 of guests at the pool from the day before. The pool staff included a young woman and taller young gentlemen and at some point in time there was a bouncer in a dark suit. I was already at the pool with my wife and my friends who were all staying at the hotel. 4 friends had then come to the door of the entrance to the pool when I noticed that they were not being allowed in. Which is completely understandable given that the staff had identified a rule that only hotel guests and friends are allowed up at the pool; however, I want to note that the day before people were simply showing up to the pool in large groups as there were several bachelorette groups in town for the weekend. Once I arrived to the door to speak to the bouncer and attendants I am told that the rule is that only ONE guest is allowed at the pool per room. Again, this was not the case in the previous years I have stayed here and now the bouncer is enforcing this rule. That said we could easily satisfy that rule as we collectively had 3 separate hotel rooms and a suite that included 2 adjoining rooms (1105 & 1106) which could be 4 to 5 rooms in total. The bouncer refused to hear that we were able to satisfy his explanation of the rules and I was told that I needed to speak with the front desk. I was fine to go to the lobby, but I wanted the bouncer to clarify why it was that we were being told to go to the front desk when we had 5 rooms to justify the four friends we were bringing in. He then proceeds to say,”because you already have friends here”, then proceeded to point to the round couch at the southwest of the pool where a woman was seated and said “she’s one”.
Before he spoke again, I notified him that the woman he pointed to was my WIFE. She and I are a lesbian couple that had paid to stay there along with my other gay and lesbian friends. I had high hopes of celebrating Pride weekend at this hotel (as we have done in the past) and this ignorant bouncer chose to count her as my guest. I was still made to go to the lobby and it was taken care of.
My friends and I all live and work in New York City and planned a stay-cation because we’ve had nothing but phenomenal things to say about the hotel. However, I will not tolerate ignorance and abuse of “power”. The frontdesk staff apologied but the bouncer did not even after I informed him of his “mistake”. (As a side note the evening of 6/29 he could be heard screaming profanities at an individual as many hotel guests, my group included, were re-entering the lobby.) Possibly the same person identified in a previous post.

Either way, the last day of my stay was marred by the actions of this individual and it is completely unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Leilani F,

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences. We are looking into the incident and providing the appropriate measurements. We agree such behavior is not tolerated as it goes against our fundamental values. We are glad to hear that the issue was resolved by our front desk team, however, we are disappointed that it has deterred you from visiting again. We would love the opportunity to transcend your needs in every aspect of service if you choose to stay with us again. It's always a pleasure having you and we truly hope you will give us a second chance to help create amazing new memories like this trip should have been. Please contact digital@theghg.com with any other questions or concerns.

1,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I'll start by pointing out the great points to this place:

1) The location was excellent
2) Clean

All the bad experiences in chronological order, most of them aren't terrible things, but collectively, it just ruined our whole experience:

1) We walked into our non-smoking room and it stunk of stale smoke, after requesting a different room, the initial reaction was that they never had any rooms available to change to, which was clearly a lie as the manager eventually offered us another room immediately. We waited in the smokey room for the porter to bring us the new key and then left without offering to help us with our bags to the new room (I guess my $5 tip wasn't enough, I'm from the UK, tipping isn't in our nature)

2) Everytime we had a shower, the smoke alarm went off. Every time.

3) I needed to make an outside telephone call from the room, and it wouldn't work, so my telephone had to be reset.

4) We were given complimentary continental breakfasts, which couldn't be used for in-room dining.

5) Everytime we wanted to walk into the hotel, we were met by a big intimidating rude bouncer blocking the entrance to ask if we were staying in the hotel.

6) We requested ice from in-room dining, after 30 minutes, we didn't have the patience to wait anymore and cancelled it.

7) On our last night, we left the room just before 7pm and came back at 11:30pm, our room had not been turned over. We had no fresh towels, I was unable to shower first thing in the morning (we had to leave early and I had no time to wait for housekeeping)

8) After explaining all the little problems we experienced on check out, he just gave an insincere apology, gave the standard "oh this never happens" which is hard to believe that it was just me and my partner that only ever set off the smoke alarm when showering or got questioned by their rude jobs worth bouncers on simply entering the hotel, or maybe it just never really bothered other people and I'm just pedantic.

Either way this hotel really does suck. The drinks in the bar are overpriced (2x vodka sodas $32), the pool was too small and too busy to ever use, the place had a cold atmosphere and a tacky style (they sell underwear in your bathroom, which I can only assume is for the one night stands that happen after visiting the club), and the beds were tiny.

The hotel was insanely noisy all night on the Friday and Saturday, although it's really the only problem I can forgive, seeing as I knew we were staying in a hotel with a popular club on the top.

Nothing felt luxurious, there were no "little touches", it was essentially a glorified motel. And it's not like I'm not used to staying in hotels with noisy bars/clubs in NY, I had previously stayed at Soho House and Bryant Park, and both were very good experiences.

This is the perfect place if you're single, visiting the club and planning on finding an easy girl to utilise a room with. Apart from that I'd avoid this place

Dear Matt G,

We sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We strongly value quality hospitality in all areas of our services and are looking into your incident with the utmost deligience. You can be assured that all technical difficulties that ensued, have been corrected and are no longer a concern. Should you choose to stay with us again, our reservations team would be happy to situate you in a more secluded room for your comfort. Again, we are disappointed with your negative experience, and appreciate your feedback. Please contact digital@theghg.com with any further concerns.

St. Simons Island, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked this hotel for our family of three and though we felt like we might not be cool or hip enough to stay there, we were never treated that way. This place is gorgeous, roomy and lavish. Anyone who complains about the rooms is just too finicky. I couldn't find anything to complain about. The decor is pleasing and the amount of space you get is more than any we've seen in our five stays in the city.

We did not visit the bars or lounges as we do not drink very often, so we cannot review those aspects, however, I think it may be a bit unfair to grade the hotel on their bars when you are in NY and can go to so many other places and have libations. And to not have stayed at the hotel and review the lounges isn't fair either. These should be separately rated.

I would go back anytime and maybe every time!

• Stayed June 2013
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear bbqrulz,

Thank you for the great review. We’re pleased to hear your wonderful compliments - the feeling is mutual. If bars aren’t your scene, our concierge team would love to point you towards amazing dining options in the area. We suggest a trip to Chelsea Market for shopping at Anthropology or maybe venture for a bite to eat at one of its well-renown eatery options such as Sarabeth's Kitchen and The Lobster Place. The possibilities are scrumptious and endless. We hope you stay with us again soon!

bay shore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at gansevoort this past weekend 6/22. When we first walked in we were like wow this place is amazing! When we got to the desk to check in our room was not ready which okay was not a big deal. So they asked us would we want to down grade our room to a roof without a terrace which was why we paid the extra money for a terrace. And still charging us the price of the higher room. That was the first thing. Then within 10 minutes our original room was ready. The roof top pool was beautiful and the waitress by the pool was great. The wait staff at the bar and bartenders on the other hand were not. We wanted to go up to the club that night and it took us 30 minutes to get into an elevator for our floor. They were packed the elevators because they let people in from the outside to use the lounge upstairs. We had to take the elevator down to go back up that's how bad it was. The bartenders that night were absolutely so rude and the wait staff that night were yelling at you to get out of your way and throwing your drinks around. Not respectful at all, the bouncers were rude as well. We did not feel like we were treated as well as we should have since we paid a good penny to stay. So nice hotel, great location, don't recommend going anywhere near upstairs at night.

• Stayed June 2013
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear ctice29,

Thank you for the detailed review. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you had during your stay. We are looking into your concerns regarding our rooftop management, and will be passing along the information to the rooftop team. The suite with a private terrace is a wonderful choice, and we are glad you experienced the secluded cityscape view. Should you choose to stay with us again, we would love the opportunity to surpass your needs in every aspect of our services. Please contact digital@theghg.com with any questions.

HotelGansevoort
Boca Raton FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our total experience in Meatpacking was great, and great service from individuals like Omar made it even better. The location of the Gansevoort is perfect.
Why do you require 200 characters? Please don't answer this question, but you should give some thought to deleting the rule.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for the review. Omar will be pleased to know he made your stay memorable. Our Meatpacking hotel is in a prime location for a plethora of restaurants fit for foodies and of course the sought after Soho shopping experience. If you stay with us again, our concierge team would be more than happy to introduce you to even more activities and sights in Manhattan. We hope to see you again soon.

Pelsall, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Excellent service from the reception to housekeeping. Excellent views from the rooftop pool and bar, room lovely and with an upgrade on arrival even nicer with a terrace to relax on at the end of a long day. Excellent restaurants in very close proximity which meant after a long day out it was great to be able to go back to the hotel and relax before dinner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Gansevoort_HG, Digital Assistant at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Coopersollom,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your upgraded suite, complete with a private terrace. Our dedicated Gansevoort team will be pleased to know that your stay was positively memorable from check-in to check out. Were you able to walk the historic High Line or explore Chelsea Market for fresh delicacies? There are so many new discoveries to be made in NYC, that one trip just isn't enough. We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

HotelGansevoort
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Gansevoort in the meatpacking district. From the valet who graciously greeted us to Jonathan and Jenny at the front desk, the staff was superb. Even the life guard at the pool was extremely professional and courteous. I had my daughter and some of her friends with me - and reserved two connecting rooms. They were spacious and very upscale. Best part was I didn't hear much from their room in spite of being on a low floor. The breakfast the next morning sitting outside was wonderful. But far and away the best part was relaxing atop the hotel at their pool. It's next to their bar, yet separated and gorgeous. The view is amazing - and the Freedom Tower greeted us each morning. The ONLY negative is the police decided to have a checkpoint outside the hotel until the wee hours - so their sirens were definitely not following any rules of quieting down. Welcome to NY . . . nothing you can do about it from the hotel's standpoint - but ask for a high floor to make it a perfect experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear travellady0613,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re glad you are pleased with so many aspects of our hotel! NYC is the city that never sleeps, however, we'll provide just the right ambiance for your night time needs. We will be sure to let Jonathan and Jenny know that they helped make your trip wonderfully memorable.For even more amazing views of the city, check out the historic High Line next time you visit. You won’t be disappointed with the art, landscaping, and gorgeous sights. We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

@Hotel Gansevoort

Been to Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC? Share your experiences!