Two features dominated my experience at the Gansevoort (Meatpacking) in New York:
- The bed. The bed and bedding are exceptionally comfortable. I’ve spent nights in 10 different hotels across the world so far this year and this was without question the most comfortable. I slept better than I do at home and indeed so well I even commented on it to one of the reception staff who informed me that quite a few guests ask where they can source the same beds and bedding.
- The pool. I was in New York in mid-May and it was a little cool when the wind blew, but the pool was nicely heated and perfect for an afternoon dip. It’s a real treat to be in a pool on a rooftop with great views in any city and this was no exception.
Other good points are the location with so many interesting places to eat, drink and shop a short walk away around Meatpacking. It’s relatively close to the red and blue lines at 14th street on the subway too if you need to go uptown / further downtown.
The atmosphere on Saturday night was a little rowdy / lively downstairs but that’s to be expected for the area. I found it fun rather than intimidating (the door staff were polite and in full control) and unlike other guests who have commented on here I found there to be no noise issue in my room on the 12th floor.
Aspects of the hotel which I didn’t like so much included:
- the size of the Superior room (also a bit odd calling it “superior” when it’s the smallest of the rooms so not really superior to anything) though I understand that’s common in NY,
- the limited range of equipment in the gym which only sufficed for a couple of days working out, and
- the unwelcoming reception we received upon arrival. That is down to one member of staff only though as the others were helpful, accomodating and knowledgeable. We found some good restaurants on their recommendation.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay and would gladly return.
12th floor superior room had no noise issues as described by other TripAdvisors
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
June 10, 2013
Dear Christopher K,
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for the in-depth review! We are so glad you loved our plush bed and the heated rooftop pool. Did you get a chance to take one of Exhale Spa's signature Core Fusion classes? It's quite the workout and a great complement to a productive fitness routine. Thank you for your feedback and we are looking into your concerns. We strive for seamless guest services that go beyond a client's expectations and we hope to see you again soon to do just that. For any questions or concerns, please contact digital@theGHG.com.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.