“It was amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

Save Saved
You added Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC to your Saves list
Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 9th Avenue, at 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly Hotel Gansevoort) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Get 10% off at Gansevoort
Ranked #181 of 453 Hotels in New York City
“It was amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was amazing, we celebrated our anniversary and service was great,we had a great time at the rooftop, the rooms were excellent.Plenty to do in the area, it's a hot spot. We will go back soon!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Eknb,

Thank you for your wonderful review and congratulations on your anniversary. We're thrilled you were able to take advantage of our rooftop. The view from the top is quite breath-taking. It was truly a pleasure having you and we hope to see you again soon.

@HotelGansevoort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Lakewood, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last time I was in this area, I stayed at the Dream downtown. Being underwhelmed by that place, I decided to try a different spot in the same general location - Meatpacking District.

The Gansevoort had an excellent package whereby you could get a bottle of premium liquor, 2 VIP passes to a local nightclub, and a discount on spa services along with your room.

I was met by a friendly doorperson upon arrival in my cab. They whisked my bags away while I checked in. Although it was only 11:30 a.m., the front desk was happy to check me into an available room, or I was free to wait until another room became available. As the immediately available room was a smoking room, I was concerned it might stink like motel smoking rooms. The woman at the desk immediately offered to bring me up to the room to make sure it was to my liking. I decided to take the room sight unseen and was pleased to find it clean and fresh smelling.

The room was large by NYC standards - certainly larger than a more expensive room at the Dream. And, as the front desk woman excitedly pointed out, it had a balcony! While it was great to have some fresh air, "balcony" is a relative term. Don't try and fit more than one person out there! It had a great view and I did enjoy it.

The room had great linens, nice robes, a decent bathtub - though the temperature controls were a bit confusing, as I don't usually gauge my water in degrees Fahrenheit. The giant woman on the shower curtain was a bit disconcerting however.

There are two bars that I am aware of in the Gansevoort. One is the rooftop bar, which was pretty and bright and sunny. The drinks were delicious, albeit expensive. Fortunately, the package included 2 drinks at the rooftop bar. The smaller bar, Toy, is downstairs and very intimate, although it is open to the lobby. The bar itself is small and the bartenders are very friendly and happy to chat.

At night the lobby becomes something of a nightclub in and of itself. That would be great if I were in my 20s, it seemed like a lot of fun. As an old person of 40 however, I preferred to head back to my room late night. The doormen check to make sure you are staying at the hotel before allowing you in, and one doorman actually removed a drunk guy who stumbled into the elevator after me. Glad to know they are looking out. Despite the club like atmosphere in the lobby, the room was peaceful and quiet.

The only slight problem we encountered was that instead of sending up the bottle of vodka we ordered, they sent up Patron. No big deal at all and I have no doubt they would have promptly fixed it if I had bothered to call down, which I didn't since I like Patron.

My only other comment is that on checkout day, we requested a late check out from the front desk. The woman was accommodating but firm that 12 pm was the latest should could give us. Only later when she realized that we had a package that allowed for 2 pm check out did she amend that. My feeling is that she probably could have given us the 2 pm from the get-go, but all's well that ends well.

The staff at the Gansevoort encourage people to write reviews on Trip Advisor. They are confident in their service and they should be - I will definitely be staying at this hotel again. It is now my #1 hotel in the Meatpacking District.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear CaitlinMagner,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted to be your #1 hotel choice in the Meatpacking District. We will do everything in our servicing power to keep this title for future visits. We apologize for the bottle request confusion, however it's wonderful news that you enjoyed our Patron even if it was sent by mistake. It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This Hotel is perfect for New York. The Lobby bar is a great place to hang out for a drink. Hotel staff was so nice. It starts with Security at the door (Kerry) for one could have not been any more nice to deal with. Front desk made sure our room was ready. I felt as if I was back in Miami being treated like a VIP. Housekeeping did over and above. Who folds clothes for a guest....when left on a chair in a pile...

The area around the Hotel is awesome. Rooms are real clean. The views from the room are just breath taking. Roof Top made it more than perfect. Worth every penny to stay here.

The roof top night club made this the 5 ***** star place that it is. (see my review for the roof top Night Club) I know that I am an FOB on the client List ...but still, this hotel has so much to offer except one thing that was a 0 and it had nothing to do with the Hotel.

TOY restaurant and nightclub which rents space from the hotel on the backside of the hotel. I had one of the worst experiences i have ever witnessed at a restaurant/ nightclub anywhere in the world that I have ever been and promise to never go back to TOY again... EVER and who knows it will be out of business soon enough. If they can treat others the way they did...word will get around. The Hotel should not be associated with Toy... or take anything away from going to this hotel. The food was not good the first night and then on saturday night what I saw and heard made it worst.

This hotel is on the top of my list for New York City.

Jerry Ehrlich from the Great City of Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Jerry,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. We will be sure to let Kerry and our deserving staff know that they helped make your stay more enjoyable. We're delighted you were able to visit our rooftop and experience the "high life" and take in the NYC skyline. Hopefully you were able to take a dip in our heated rooftop pool as well. Although we do not manage TOY Bar and Grill, we will look into the issues you experienced to ensure the best possible service for future guests. It was truly a pleasure having you and we hope to see you again soon.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

When we booked our travel through AX business Platinum via phone, we were told about the benefits that we would receive. AX BP actually used Orbitz (who knew). When we arrived at the hotel, we asked about an upgrade and the breakfast vouchers plus credits. Bottom-line, they told us that it was booked through Orbitz not AX. However, they understood our confusion and disappointment. We did receive an upgrade and the staff was terrific. Raul did a great job handling our situation. When we spoke with AX, they said oh they are not part of our fine hotels, well they should be. You have a great staff and room service was delicious. The hotel is very chic and has a lot of energy. The location was great for us and did I mention the staff was amazing! Omar helped us with our bags when we left and once again he said thank you for staying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear SASnowflake,

Thank you for sharing your story. Your initial predicament was unfortunate, but we are thrilled that we could help resolve any issues upon check-in. We will be sure to let Raul and all the deserving staff know how they helped make your stay more enjoyable. It was truly a pleasure having you and we hope to see you again soon.

Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Booked hotel for a single night stay when I had a meeting in NY. Full disclosure - intended to stay at the Park Avenue South location but my travel department booked the wrong location. At check-in I had to initial a document 4 times basically promising I would not smoke or destroy property etc. I get to my room which had a strong cigarette smell and ashtrays in the room. Since I was concerned about being charged for smoke remediation, I asked the desk about the smell and ashtrays. Apparently they put me In a "smoking optional" room. Not sure why I needed to sign a waiver then. They explained that they had no other king room. They did manage to find a room with 2 doubles. I was very surprised that they did not tell me. I did check out the penthouse lounge but it seemed populated with 20 something's hiding in corners. At over $500 per night for the room, I was completely underwhelmed.

Room Tip: Be clear if you do not a smoking room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear naomi18,

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed that your stay was underwhelming as our number one priority is to exceed all expectations. It seems as though there was a misunderstanding and we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences incurred. Should you choose to stay with us again, we would love the opportunity to surpass your needs and change your mind. For any questions, feel free to contact digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Great location fun neighborhood friendly staff. Loved John at the door.

I will stay here again

We had a Room with a terrace was awesome. Beautiful weather to sit outside.

Close to everything. Shops restaurant. Easy access.

• Stayed March 2013
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear LCHOLLAme

We are delighted that you will be coming back. John will be pleased to know that he made your experience positively memorable. We’re glad you took advantage of our private terraces overlooking the NYC skyline. Thank you for your review.

See you again soon,
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We met a friend from England in NYC and stayed in a suite ! the service was wonderful. The room was amazing. The hotel is very chic. Front desk staff was extremely helpful in all aspects of our stay. The pool seemed like a fun hang out spot in the summer. IT was a bit cold while we were there. Location is ideal with plenty to walk to including the high line and Chelsea market. Swanky music playing throughout the hotel which added to the experience. Who said New Yorkers aren't friendly? They are here!

The noise from the club was a bit of a problem if you wanted to go to bed before 3am, but other than that it was a great stay.

Room Tip: Select a room far away from the dance club.
Dear las0311,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re glad you enjoyed our rooftop. Did you know our heated pool is open year-round? Our staff will be pleased to know they helped make your stay more enjoyable. If noise from the Meatpacking District’s busy nightlife is not ideal during your trip, our Park Ave location may also be a good fit for you (it's much quieter). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com.

@HotelGansevoort

Been to Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC? Share your experiences!