“Disappointed - just plain underwhelmed.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

You added Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC to your Saves list
Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 9th Avenue, at 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly Hotel Gansevoort) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
The Gift That Gives More
Ranked #178 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Annapolis, Maryland
“Disappointed - just plain underwhelmed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Booked hotel for a single night stay when I had a meeting in NY. Full disclosure - intended to stay at the Park Avenue South location but my travel department booked the wrong location. At check-in I had to initial a document 4 times basically promising I would not smoke or destroy property etc. I get to my room which had a strong cigarette smell and ashtrays in the room. Since I was concerned about being charged for smoke remediation, I asked the desk about the smell and ashtrays. Apparently they put me In a "smoking optional" room. Not sure why I needed to sign a waiver then. They explained that they had no other king room. They did manage to find a room with 2 doubles. I was very surprised that they did not tell me. I did check out the penthouse lounge but it seemed populated with 20 something's hiding in corners. At over $500 per night for the room, I was completely underwhelmed.

Room Tip: Be clear if you do not a smoking room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear naomi18,

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed that your stay was underwhelming as our number one priority is to exceed all expectations. It seems as though there was a misunderstanding and we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences incurred. Should you choose to stay with us again, we would love the opportunity to surpass your needs and change your mind. For any questions, feel free to contact digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com.

@HotelGansevoort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Great location fun neighborhood friendly staff. Loved John at the door.

I will stay here again

We had a Room with a terrace was awesome. Beautiful weather to sit outside.

Close to everything. Shops restaurant. Easy access.

• Stayed March 2013
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear LCHOLLAme

We are delighted that you will be coming back. John will be pleased to know that he made your experience positively memorable. We’re glad you took advantage of our private terraces overlooking the NYC skyline. Thank you for your review.

See you again soon,
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We met a friend from England in NYC and stayed in a suite ! the service was wonderful. The room was amazing. The hotel is very chic. Front desk staff was extremely helpful in all aspects of our stay. The pool seemed like a fun hang out spot in the summer. IT was a bit cold while we were there. Location is ideal with plenty to walk to including the high line and Chelsea market. Swanky music playing throughout the hotel which added to the experience. Who said New Yorkers aren't friendly? They are here!

The noise from the club was a bit of a problem if you wanted to go to bed before 3am, but other than that it was a great stay.

Room Tip: Select a room far away from the dance club.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear las0311,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re glad you enjoyed our rooftop. Did you know our heated pool is open year-round? Our staff will be pleased to know they helped make your stay more enjoyable. If noise from the Meatpacking District’s busy nightlife is not ideal during your trip, our Park Ave location may also be a good fit for you (it's much quieter). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com.

ialwaysbluff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had the rooms on the corner with the walk out balconies and everything was spectacular! The rooms are clean and beautiful with outstanding views. The club upstairs was absolutely perfect and the staff was top notch from start to finish! Can't wait to do it again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ialwaysbluff,

We’re thrilled that you had an amazing bachelor party. Hopefully you were able to take in the beautiful NYC skyline on your wrap-around balcony. If you liked Plunge, our sister property's Gansevoort Park Avenue Rooftop will also blow you away. Whether it is another celebration or just a getaway, we hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

What a great hotel! Far exceeded my expectations, which are very high. Excellent staff, decor, and amenities. Hands down best hotel experience ive had in NYC. Luxurious rooms with incredible views and a close proximity to night life, restaurants and shopping make this hotel a no brainer when choosing a place to stay

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Ahelou02,

Thank you for this wonderful review. We are flattered that we take the cake for your best hotel experience – next time you'll have to let us know what types of activities you're interested in around NYC so that we can also strut our stuff off-property. It was a pleasure having you and we hope to see you again soon.

@HotelGansevooort
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I want to thank the staff of the Gansevoort for an outstanding experience. From my initial arrival at which time Ben upgraded me to a Manhattan Suite at no cost, to the prompt, courteous, and friendly service provided by Stefanie and Jenny, to the amazingly fast drinks provided by Heather at the rooftop lounge despite the crush each night, I could not have had a better stay. On Saturday night as I was wading through the crowd in the lounge which was packed to near capacity (great vibe and scene, though the DJ needs to up his game), one of the numerous employees I had met a day and a half prior at checkin remembered my name and asked me how I was enjoying the night. I'm returning at next opportunity.

Room Tip: For those who'd understand, the shower in the suite comfortably accomodates two!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Paul,

Thank you for sharing such a great review. It was truly a pleasure having you from check-in to check-out. We will let our deserving staff know of the wonderful service they provided you. We hope to see you again soon.

Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I splurged for my 25th birthday with a deal on a suite here from Jetsetter. Could not have been happier! The room was beautiful, with two balconies and amazing views. Walking distance to a bunch of great bars and restaurants. Since my suite was a corner room, it was the perfect place to have a bunch of friends drop by to celebrate the evening - I was worried about noise, but let's just say this is not the hotel where people bring their kids and are asleep by 10 on a Saturday. While there was a long line to get to the rooftop bar, the doormen and front desk staff were very polite to my guests and let them up promptly, once I gave them the green light to do so.

But really, I am writing this review to praise Penny, who works at the front desk. Upon arrival I told her I was there for my birthday. We dropped our bags and went for a walk on the highline; by the time we got back, there was a happy birthday cupcake (candle included), a bottle of prosecco, and a nice note from Penny. She was so sweet and made our stay very special!

At one point we did venture up to the rooftop bar - it had potential, but was jam packed. Seems like word of the great view has gotten around. If you're just looking for a good bar, I would imagine there are better places, just based on how packed it was. Also, if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing stay, this probably isn't it. But for the purposes we were there, we had a blast! Would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Meagan,

Happy Birthday! The Meatpacking District can get busy because of all the restaurants and nightclubs in the area, but it sounds like it was a perfect place for your celebration. We will be sure to let Penny know how she helped make your experience positively memorable. If you’re ever in NYC and would like a quieter hotel, our Park Ave location fits that criterion. Thank you for your wonderful review and hope to have you back soon.

@HotelGansevoort

Been to Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC? Share your experiences!