“VERY DISAPPOINTED. DON'T STAY HERE.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Wyndham Midtown 45

You added The Wyndham Midtown 45 to your Saves list
The Wyndham Midtown 45
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East 45th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly The Alex Hotel) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #354 of 463 Hotels in New York City
“VERY DISAPPOINTED. DON'T STAY HERE.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Booked the hotel through Expedia based on its 4 star rating for $265 per night. Horrible conditions. First room the bathroom was not cleaned, furniture in poor shape. Called the front desk to speak to them, to only have the phone ring for 5 minutes with no response. Went down to talk to the manager who was already dealing with another very angry customer. They put us in a different room that had detached drapes hanging, cloth headboard stained pretty badly, nightstands in a pretty bad shape and stained, dressers had the doors removed. Website pictures are deceiving. I wish I could post mine to replace. Called Expedia to complain. I don't think we will ever go back to a Wyndham again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked this through Shell Vacations. It cost me 33,000 points which computes to $6,600 for 2 weeks or $470 per night. When checking out the hotel's website, they showed their 1 & 2 room suites. All looked fantastic. Being Manhattan, Wyndham was going to charge me THREE TIMES THE POINTS. Okay, I figure, it IS Manhattan, and it looks pretty swank. I call Shell Vacations Club, they tell me Wyndham will only let me book the KING SUITE. Okay, the place looks pretty classy, and it is expensive, so I book it. WELL the room they put us in is AWFUL!!! It looks like a prison cell. Dirty, grimy, the furniture looks 30+ years old. I called Shell, but they can't do anything. I talk to the Wyndham AGM the next day, Evan. After several minutes of well practiced sidestepping, he offered to show me an alternate room in the same category. It appears slightly bigger, I say okay, because anything is better than the prison cell they put me in. I go back to move my stuff. I go to get a new room key. "Oh, that room was rented out while I was showing it to you. But I have one one the 7th floor with the same kayout." Okay, I go back up to move. I SWEAR the new room is not nearly as big as what Evan showed me. Besides all that, the room quality is what I have experienced in well known budget chains at $80 or less per night with old furniture and tired carpet and paint. Places like Hampton Inn are far better. I've stayed at a hotel in Murray Hill and Lex that was fantastic. One by Javitz Center that was $150/night that was as bad as this Wyndham. But this place is costing $470/night. Hey, "its Manhattan," expect to get screwed.

Oh, and don't bother inviting me back to "show us you're improving". You have already failed to make it right and I won't ever book at a Wyndham property again. I paid a PREMIUM PRICE for an AWFUL ROOM. Wyndham should refund me the difference (in points) between $470 and your lowest rate. Their deception has already broken my trust so I have low expectations.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
JJLewis14, Resort General Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear John M:

Thank you for your very informative review. I am very disappointed to hear of the issues that you experienced during your visit and most importantly they weren’t resolved prior to your check-out. Please accept our apologies. I would like for you to contact me at 212-867-5100 to review further.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Rooms are merely functional, certainly not worth the price! Furnishings are dated and not well maintained. Not even a glass in the bathroom. No clock. Even the cheapest motel has more immenities.
No attention to detail.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear SunnyKobeCook:

Thank you for your feedback. We are definitely concerned about your mentions and ask that you accept our sincere apologies, We are in the process of not only renovating our rooms but working on our service. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to prove that we are worthy of your business.

Clemmons, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We recently spent a week at the Midtown 45 in a renovated studio. We were very pleased! Our room was on the 14th floor with a beautiful view of the Chrysler Building.
The room was cleverly designed to maximize space, and the furniture looked fresh and modern. Our room had a comfortable king bed, small couch, 2 flat screen televisions as well as a very functional small kitchen area that was quite nice. I can only think that the people complaining about this facility are not Wyndham owners (we are) and therefore not getting the renovated rooms. The staff that we interacted with were all friendly and helpful. My only (minor ) complaint was that it WAS difficult to regulate the temperature in the room; the air in the building wasn't on so we had to open the window to cool the room off, then close it when it got too cool.( Having portable fans available for guests would help). WiFi was free in the room and worked well for us.There's also a very nice rooftop deck on the 33rd floor with fabulous views!
The location here is wonderful. We walked to Broadway, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center and many restaurants. The Comfort Diner is across the street (great breakfasts) and the Perfect Pint is right next door. There's also an Amish Grocery store close by. When we wanted to venture further out the subway at Grand Central Terminal is only a couple of blocks away and is easy to negotiate.
I think this hotel will only improve as Wyndham completes their renovations. We had a great week here and look forward to coming back in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a view of the Chrysler Building!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
JJLewis14, Resort General Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear DebfromNC:

Thank you for your awesome review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your room and our location. Your comments are like music to our ears. But, I do need to apologize for the air not being on in the hotel. As the weather starts to change from snow to rain and shine, it may be a little challenging to determine the best time for transition. However, we will work on it. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Warm Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. It is perfect! 2 minutes walking to Grand Central Terminal. That is the biggest perk of all.

I called for some information ahead of time asking if they had a luggage service since Check-in is at 4:00 P.M and we were arriving early, the person on the phone was also having a conversation with someone else which made her stutter over the phone, and kept answering the person they were talking to instead of us on the other side of the phone line. (Don't pick up the phone if you are busy, I can wait to have a full, attended conversation)

When we arrived at check-in, the front desk clerk had some serious attitude, this is one thing I dread on vacation, when you go to relax and the people who are helping you are the one's who ruin your vacation.

This is how our conversation went:
I approached the check in desk, "Hi"
Clerk: "Last Name?"
I gave her my last name along with handing her my confirmation paper.
Clerk: Types away and says "Room __" and hands us our keys.
Turns around and starts talking to her co-worker.
No "Hi", "Welcome to Wyndham" or "Thank you"
Please work on your people skills.

I just wanted to get to our rooms, put our stuff away and tour the city. I was not about to let her ruin our vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jastine D:

Thank you for your review. I deeply apologize that your stay was not satisfactory and you experienced several issues with customer service. I know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties and you did not receive this. Please be assured we will have our operations manager address these concerns to avoid any future occurrences of this nature. Thank you for making us aware.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here as a guest of an owner. Very clean, very nice. Had a 1 bed room which was spacious. Didn't use the kitchen we were only there for 2 nights, but would have been nice if we were staying longer. Lobby very small, said that they were expanding it. Top floor had a nice room/terrace, would have been nice if they had a bar up there. Good location, close to the subway. Not a residential area so not too many places near by but worked out well. Good deli right down the street. Free wifi was great.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of just a wall, but maybe higher up it would have been nicer.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
JJLewis14, Resort General Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Beth R:

Thank you so much for your review of the hotel. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your very nice clean room, and found our location very accommodating to the subway. We hope to see you again soon for another weekend trip.

Warm Regards,

Norwalk, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Positives- not many. Hotel is clearly pocketing every penny and not putting anything back into it. Location is good because it is steps away from Grand Central so you can arrive and immediately drop off your luggage. But, poor value and you can get something better at the same or lower rate. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. Doormen were very professional. We saw several doormen and they were great except one that was working at 8:15pm on March 28th that told us that we could get our own cab and he could do it but he would have to stand out in the cold for a while. All the furniture in the room was falling apart. The three cubby-like armoires clearly were falling apart so they simply took off the doors. Curtains were ripped down and could have easily been fixed but they didn't bother. The girls at the concierge desk were dressed inappropriately and clearly not trained on how to approach guests. In fact, nobody seemed trained except the doormen (minus that one doorman) and the cleaning staff. When calling to confirm our reservation at 8:49pm on Mar 27th, the woman hung up without saying goodbye and I was in mid-sentence asking about arrival times. The rest of the trip was great! Go see An American in Paris on Broadway!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Sarah B:

Thank you for your very informative feedback. We are happy to hear that you liked the cleanliness of your room and the professionalism of our doormen, but it seems that we have a lot to work to do on our overall standards and appearance. The incidents you describe and the quality of your room is in no way examples of the Wyndham standards. We ask that you will accept our sincere apologies. We will be using your review as a training tool to prevent any future occurrences. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show that we are better than what you encountered.

John J Lewis
Resort General Manager

Been to The Wyndham Midtown 45? Share your experiences!