“Cute, Upbeat Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Wyndham Midtown 45

Save Saved
You added The Wyndham Midtown 45 to your Saves list
The Wyndham Midtown 45
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East 45th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly The Alex Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #346 of 452 hotels in New York City
Minnesota
“Cute, Upbeat Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This unique hotel is a part of the Wyndham Resorts portfolio. The presidential one bed room and two bedroom apartments are located on the lower flours. They have exceptional appointments, gourmet kitchens, lavish bedrooms and living rooms. The upper floors are part of the main hotel. The apartments are satisfactory, if not slightly overpriced, with kitchenette, living room, dining area, and entertainment center. What makes this worth the stay is the stunning views of the East River or downtown. Try to get one with a patio and you will never regret it. Best for longer stays.

Room Tip: Book higher floors. Request East River facing room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Michael M, Guest Relations Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for your great feedback on our well appointed suites & city views, we really appreciate it. I see that you have also mentioned our presidential & 2 bedrooms suites were located only on lower floors. However, all of or suites are actually only located on UPPER floors. Again, thank you for taking the time in reviewing Wyndham Midtown 45 & we look forward to welcoming you back!

331 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bloomington, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at this hotel during a recent business trip to NYC. The room was terrible.

The elevator smelled like someone had relieved themselves in it. When I got to my room, I found it poorly lit with several burnt out bulbs. The curtains had stains on them and the furniture was pretty beat up.

Outside, there was a whine from the exhaust fans at the restaurant below that made it seem like I was on the tarmac at the airport.

I left and went out to dinner with my colleagues.

When I returned, I found that the television did not work and when I tried to call the front desk to report it, guess what…there was no dial tone on the phone. I figured I would just go to bed rather than trekking down to the front desk to ask for another room.

The next morning, I start getting ready for my meeting and found that the shower did not work. Water only came out of the bath spout forcing me to adopt a "praying position" to wash my hair. I will spare you the details.

When I related all of these failures to the desk clerk at checkout, he responded with an offer to upgrade me the next time I stay there. That, of course, is unlikely to happen.

Hopefully, I just pulled a bad room. If you stay there, tell them you will take any room other than #706!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
I am sincerely disappointed to hear about your recent experience here at Wyndham Midtown 45. I apologize for you having to had spent even a minute of your stay dealing with these issues. I know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties and you did not receive this. Please rest assured I have addressed these concerns with our housekeeping staff in order to avoid any future occurrences of this nature. Thank you for making us aware. If you have a chance, please e-mail me at mmcdonnell@wyndham.com so that I can take a look at your reservation. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to rectify this matter. Once again, I thank you for notifying us & hope you would consider giving us the chance to make it up to you.

mmcdonnell@wyndham.com
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I am an owner & I stayed in a one bedroom presidential suite for 5 days/4 nights. It was very spacious (by NYC standards) for 3 adults & the room was laid out nicely. The kitchen was well equipped. We ate breakfast daily & occasionally ate dinner there as well. My only complaint was the knob to operate the shower. You have to pull very hard & at the same time making sure that you don't slip. It was a fantastic trip.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Nicole, thank you for your great feedback. I am pleased to hear that our one bedroom presidential unit worked out perfectly for you & your guests. I am also happy to hear that you were able to have the opportunity to enjoy our Atrium restaurant. Again, thank you for staying at the Wyndham Midtown 45 & we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a wonderful time staying at the not-yet-renovated studio for two nights. Although the carpet is dated, everything is nice and clean. Liked the refrigerator even though we didn't cook anything. Easy walking distance to the Grand Central, Empire State Building and subway. The lobby is really small, but the staff was very helpful and answered all questions. Hope to be back again and stay in the newly renovated room!

Room Tip: Higher floor to have better view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you, Jianyuan for taking your time to review us, we appreciate your great feedback! I am happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location & that our staff was able to meet your standards as a Wyndham owner. Again, thank you for reaching out and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Sebastian, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at the Wyndham as a timeshare owner, this time a studio apartment. Layout of room was spacious and bright. When we arrived on the train from CT we went right to the property to drop our luggage as it was around 1pm. Short easy walk from Grand Central. To our surprise we were able to check in, that was nice. When arrived to the room discovered the room cleaned but not completely set up. Called to housekeeping for bath towels as we had one for a three night stay. Had to call two more times before three towels were brought up, told the man we needed the kitchen set up as the dishwasher had dishes in it and we had no paper towels or coffee set ups for am, assured the problem would be addressed. We had left for the evening but nothing was new when we returned. Spoke with front desk also but gave up and didn't let it bother us. Had a great time in NYC. Many restaurants and food stores within one block, small restaurant downstairs with bar but we never tried it, was usually empty. The room was comfortable with new bedding and blackout drapes, quiet, able to sleep well.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great view of the Chrysler building.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Michael M, Guest Relations Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Cindy,

I am genuinely sorry you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with unit preparedness . I know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties and you did not receive this. Please rest assured I will have our housekeeping staff address these concerns moving forward to avoid any future occurrences of this nature. Thank you for making us aware. Please reach out to me directly when you are planning your next NYC trip so we can make this right.

mmcdonnell@wyndham.com

Been to The Wyndham Midtown 45? Share your experiences!