“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Wyndham Midtown 45

You added The Wyndham Midtown 45 to your Saves list
The Wyndham Midtown 45
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East 45th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly The Alex Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #344 of 455 Hotels in New York City
newport, RI
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Based on the reviews that I read on here, I had mixed feelings about making a reservation here. My husband and I needed to stay close to grand central and you can't get much closer than this hotel. Check in was a bit slow, but we did get one of the renovated rooms so that made up for it. We were on the 21st floor. No view, but the room was quite adequate for us. The only thing puzzling was the lack of a coffee maker??? You would think they would have one since people rent these rooms out as part of a time share.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Terrence J, Front Office Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Wyndham Midtown 45. It's always a pleasure to serve you, our guest and receive great comments. Please make sure to visit us again at the Wyndham.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Not happy with the room for almost $400/night. I could've stayed at the Best Western or Hampton Inn for half the price and been happier. My room was dark, dingy, and cramped with stains on the carpet and upholstery. There was also broken furniture. I would not return to this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are truly sorry about the room condition but we encourage feedback from our guest while in the hotel so we can make things right. I would like to thank you for staying with us and hope you give us another stay. Thank you again.
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

we stayed here during a trip of 4 days in new york actually it was just the 4 days before the hurricane sandy, we stay in one of the two bedroom apartments they were fabulous , great view and vey nice organized good beds and kitchen area which was for us important as we traveled with a Baby, breakfast was not included but there are some small bakery's next to the hotel or even within the hotel, service was excellent , during next trip we would stay again, btw the hotel was called the alex at this time...

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback concerning the Wyndham Midtown 45. It's our pleasure to serve you, our guest. Please make sure you come and see us again.
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

This hotel I would give one or two star only. Two front desk agents were helping a show reservation for a guest when we arrived at 8 pm, and we were asked to wait for 10 minutes. Finally one of agent is available to help us, and it took 15 minutes to find a 'better room' for us. When we walk in the room, furniture are out dated, noisy street front, old carpet, no coffee maker, sofa with stain. However, room and bathroom size are good. When we came back from dinner, we found out there is no hot water from 10 pm to 6 am next day which front desk did not tell us at check-in. Bed linen is very thin and you can clearly see through the brand of mattress, and the mattress is kind of lowest quality which is light weight and moving all the time when you sleep with other person. We have set room temperature to 70F with 'auto' mode, but we found it was so cold in the middle of the night. I got up to switch air conditioner to 'heat' mode when actual room temperature was 64F , then I start to heard loud air conditioner started working. Until 7 am, the room temperature was still around 65 F which means the air conditioner was not working. Finally we walk to front desk to complain about hot water, street front noise, and air conditioner. Front desk a dark hair lady heard my complaint, replied me with cool face said she will switch the other room for me. No apology!! Next day, I got quiet room in the back of the building which is very good, but same type of mattress. Washroom is very very small. I have to close washroom's door in order to use toilet and shower. When I need to close washroom door, I have to move myself to beside of toilet. This quiet room's night light (beside the bed) and one of washroom lights were not working, and I just suffered without bothering housekeeping and front desk.
When we check out, the front desk was so busy. I see bellman was chatting on his cell phone outside on the street and laughing, and the concierge was happily chatting with the other coworker when there was long line up at front desk. I think this is a really poor managed property, and I will avoid to stay here again.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back side of the building
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
First let me apologize to you and your family. At our hotel the Wyndham, we try to accommodate every guest even before check-in time. Somehow we didn't react to your concerns in time and we truly feel disappointed. We thank you for your feedback and hope you give us another attempt to serve you better.

Been to The Wyndham Midtown 45? Share your experiences!