“April 2014” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Wyndham Midtown 45

Save Saved
You added The Wyndham Midtown 45 to your Saves list
The Wyndham Midtown 45
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East 45th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly The Alex Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #346 of 453 Hotels in New York City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

This hotel I would give one or two star only. Two front desk agents were helping a show reservation for a guest when we arrived at 8 pm, and we were asked to wait for 10 minutes. Finally one of agent is available to help us, and it took 15 minutes to find a 'better room' for us. When we walk in the room, furniture are out dated, noisy street front, old carpet, no coffee maker, sofa with stain. However, room and bathroom size are good. When we came back from dinner, we found out there is no hot water from 10 pm to 6 am next day which front desk did not tell us at check-in. Bed linen is very thin and you can clearly see through the brand of mattress, and the mattress is kind of lowest quality which is light weight and moving all the time when you sleep with other person. We have set room temperature to 70F with 'auto' mode, but we found it was so cold in the middle of the night. I got up to switch air conditioner to 'heat' mode when actual room temperature was 64F , then I start to heard loud air conditioner started working. Until 7 am, the room temperature was still around 65 F which means the air conditioner was not working. Finally we walk to front desk to complain about hot water, street front noise, and air conditioner. Front desk a dark hair lady heard my complaint, replied me with cool face said she will switch the other room for me. No apology!! Next day, I got quiet room in the back of the building which is very good, but same type of mattress. Washroom is very very small. I have to close washroom's door in order to use toilet and shower. When I need to close washroom door, I have to move myself to beside of toilet. This quiet room's night light (beside the bed) and one of washroom lights were not working, and I just suffered without bothering housekeeping and front desk.
When we check out, the front desk was so busy. I see bellman was chatting on his cell phone outside on the street and laughing, and the concierge was happily chatting with the other coworker when there was long line up at front desk. I think this is a really poor managed property, and I will avoid to stay here again.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back side of the building
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Terrence J, Front Office Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
First let me apologize to you and your family. At our hotel the Wyndham, we try to accommodate every guest even before check-in time. Somehow we didn't react to your concerns in time and we truly feel disappointed. We thank you for your feedback and hope you give us another attempt to serve you better.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I stayed for ten days at a room on the 10th floor. The room was cold and dark, poorly appointed, with a small window looking into some back alley, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I would have been ok with this place if the folks behind the reservation desk could pretend to care about guests at all. A meeting on my last night kept me out working till 8 am. I asked for a late checkout, and despite having stayed at this hotel for ten days, was told I absolutely had to check out by noon. A colleague was able to secure a 1pm checkout, so this was clearly not standard. I called again around 11.30, feeling really groggy and was told that I could not extend checkout any later. I rushed to pack and leave. When I realised a few hours later that I'd forgotten my toiletries (and who knows what else!), I was invited to inspect the room (which was still empty, so why could I not get even another hour of sleep?!) only to find out my stuff was thrown away. Would it have killed Wyndham to hold on to my kit for just a few hours in case I turned up to reclaim it?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Terrence J, Front Office Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
The importance of a good night's sleep is essential and we can appreciate your frustration. We want you to have the best possible experience and hope that if you stay with us again that you won’t hesitate to reach out to our manager's for assistance. As a goodwill gesture we would like to refund your lost items. Your feedback is welcomed and we hope to have the chance to meet your expectations in the future.
New City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed here on a Tuesday night due to a snowstorm we had coming the next day. Received a great rate on their website and it's a few blocks away from Grand Central. You could walk right by it and not even know it's there. Nothing about this hotel was special, nothing was horrible either. But I would stay here if the rate is right. I checked back a few weeks later for the same reason, and the rate was over $100 more. The closeness to GCT, some good steakhouses and the Perfect Pint Bar next door is definitely in it's favor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
We are always pleased to hear that The Wyndham and our staff have lived up to the high quality of service we continuously aspire to provide our guests. Thank you for the wonderful review and the recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Wyndham.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

In fairness to this property my observation is based on the stay of good Friends. We all spent the weekend in NYC. This hotel was used by the majority of guests at a wedding. We stayed at our preferred hotel.

The hotel is going through some renovations to possibly become a time share property. This is based on the fact that a kind man in the lobby tried to "sign me up" for a free breakfast if I would take a tour. I guess his motives became clear as I politely passed on the offer. The lobby of the hotel is small and very uninviting to guests. Waiting in the lobby was an exercise in sitting on hard cushioned benches pushed up against the wall. Our Friends who checked in had to wait until nearly 7P to get a room, this on a confirmed reservation. On check out day the staff was insistent that rooms be cleared by noon, interesting given that rooms are not ready at designated check in time. The concierge is a grumpy man who clearly has better places to be than tending to his guests. The hotel staff was indifferent to making a wedding weekend a special event and seemed to only be concerned with getting guests in and out of the property. Transportation to airport was not handled in a pleasant manner, in fact was not handled at all. Cabs not called on time or often not at all.

The room was dirty and in very poor condition. I presume the newer rooms will be of good quality and decorated in accordance with good taste. Stains on the couch made it impossible to sit without the use of a towel and the cabinets that house television and other amenities had been worn bare. When asked to have an ironing board brought to the room it was so filthy that I was afraid to iron a white shirt on it.

Location is a plus with this property as is the small store on the corner near the hotel. It offered late night good quality snacks and drinks.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to Friends or Family. NYC has many wonderful hotels in the local and price range of this property. Look around, after all its your money and holiday. You can do much better than this Wyndham.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has even a small view. Some guest rooms have blocked view. You want to see more...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
We are committed to providing an exceptional experience for all of our guests and it is regrettable that we did not have the opportunity to address your concerns during your stay. I'm sure that a member of my management team would've made a difference if made aware. Please if you decide to give us another evening I would like for you to contact my management team directly. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Been to The Wyndham Midtown 45? Share your experiences!