“Have people who stay here and written reviews ever stayed in a real 4star hotel ...?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Wyndham Midtown 45

Save Saved
You added The Wyndham Midtown 45 to your Saves list
The Wyndham Midtown 45
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East 45th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly The Alex Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #331 of 446 hotels in New York City
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just back from the Alex.....I have been to New York many times and stayed in some fab hotels....such as the Waldorf ....etc... However we decided to go on last minute treat and wanted little boutique number hoping to have wee cheapie break...Thomas cook had a three star but I chose to upgrade to a four star at additional cost of 500 quid ...hey ho of we go and arrived at the Alex on 6th Feb ....I was worried as I'd read some of the reviews on trip advisor so was mildly reassured when we arrived ....the foyer was small as quoted but bar was intimate tho tables dirty and badly marked with ring marks....our room wasn't ready but we happy to embrace a New York minute.....and have a drink....my partner had a drink while I decided to speak to reception and upgrade to a suite thinking if I paid more I'd get better .....my partners first time in New York I wanted to be special for him....The staff as quoted earlier were very friendly and she kindly took a further 200 dollars for a suite upgrade with a view ......we got to our suite....a kitchen which I didn't need and a great view of the Chrysler thru dirty curtains and I mean dirty ....the windows weren't much better ....carpets were stained and grubby yet bathroom and sheets very clean .....the hotel fairly central which was handy as we there due Nemo snow blizzard and could easily walk round, nite of snow storm we ate in hotel....very basic menu tho nicer than expected, but meal for two and a mediocre bottle of merlot 200 dollars......next morning pot of coffee and tea for two 29 dollars and 5 dollar tip.....I kid you not ....we didn't do tea in morning again.....atmosphere very nice tho and this redeemed hotels shabby and unloved rooms.....until we ask for a late checkout....they charged me 140 dollars plus taxes....for extra three hours ,we could stay in room for free to two pm ......actually was only 2hours I was stuck in the bijoux bathroom after the lock went on door...again maintenance men were apologetic and empathetic to my plight but a tired old hotel wasn't to be blamed on them....all in all a very expensive 4 nites in anything but luxury...grubby and tired.....sori ....staff lovely but that we're it stops ....could have stayed in five star for same price ....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheAlexHotel-NYC, General Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
It is truly disappointing to hear when a guest’s experience does not live up to their expectations. One of our associates is always available to discuss any issues and we apologize if we were not given the opportunity to clear up any concerns you may have had during your stay. We thoroughly regret that, despite your upgrade, your accommodations were not exactly as you had hoped they would be. Your comments will be shared with everyone here as we strive to create a positive experience for all. Thank you for your feedback.

976 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our stay at The Alex was the best. We were pleasantly surprised with the overall hotel: room, friendly & helpful staff...absolutely loved it. Best part of the room, the T.v. In the bathroom. We booked at the last minute amd didn't have time to research so again, we were very happy. We did not have the opportunity to check out the other ameneties but I'm sure they were nice too. Only downfall for our room...the remote was a little faulty.

• Stayed February 2013
TheAlexHotel-NYC, General Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
What a great last minute decision! Each and every guest that walks through our doors is very much a special guest at The Alex Hotel! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your accommodations to be so comfortable. It is regrettable that you had any trouble with the television remote, however. Please know that one of our associates is always available should any issues arise while staying with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for another great stay, thank you for your review.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, great location, but I really don't get what makes it a 4-star hotel. There was no coffee/tea in the room, 3 of the 5 lamps didn't work (2 were immediately fixed, 1 was missing a light bulb they didn't have on site), the phone didn't work (was fixed). No kitchenette in our room. So for the price and location it was OK, but more like a 3-star place.

• Stayed February 2013
While we are glad to know you found your accommodations to be so clean and comfortable and enjoyed our Midtown Manhattan location, it is disappointing that we could not impress you at every turn. Our associates are always ready to help should anything arise and we must apologize if you were still disappointed with your stay, despite their quick response and resolution to the matters you mentioned. Please know that our suite accommodations offer full gourmet kitchens and coffee and tea making amenities are available in all rooms upon request. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I live in miami stay at The Alex every-time i am in new york for 2years every time i stay here the experience gets better n better its been an amazing stay i never ever have any problems or complaints, the rooms are clean the Staff manger glenda is beyond amazing she accommodates everyone, she is aim to please she-made my birthday weekend truly perfect i am in ahhh

• Stayed February 2013
Your feedback is amazing! Knowing that you have chosen to stay at The Alex Hotel every time you visit New York warms our hearts! Our associates always desire to create a memorable experience for all of our guests and the ultimate retreat while staying here. Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had often stayed at The Alex with no problem. On my last trip when checking out I was told to leave my luggage in my room for the bellhop to put in the luggage room as my flight was a few hours later. When I collected my luggage later I discovered my iPad was missing.
The Alex management later told me they had filed a report with their insurer and I would hear from the insurance. I am still waiting two weeks later. Repeated phone calls to the management. produce no results. i am disgusted with this hotel and would advise strongly against staying there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
While we are truly pleased to know that you have stayed with us so often, we were disappointed when we received your call regarding your missing device. The safety and security of our guests is always a top concern and we appreciate that you alerted us right away so that the matter could be addressed as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and will continue to focus on resolving anything outstanding. Thank you for your comments.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

What a find this hotel is! The location is perfect, easy to get to most any where and the neighborhood is great after a long day of work. The hotel is wonderfully appointed with all you need plus a few extras that push it over the top...like fitness room and great lounge to unwind. The staff during our recent stay was fabulous. From doormen, to desk staff to housekeeping every one was friendly and welcoming...thank you to security who were polite and gave an extra feeling of comfort.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a suite for longer stays.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We love that you think our associates are so fabulous! Thank you for sharing your glowing review of The Alex Hotel. Everyone here hopes to provide the most welcoming and hospitable stay possible and we couldn’t be happier that you enjoyed your time. Our location, as you mentioned, is perfect for visiting all of Manhattan’s businesses and hotspots. It is our hope to welcome you back for another comforting stay.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Want to head to NYC but aren’t fussy about what hotel you are staying at so long it is clean and has comfortable beds? Well, The Alex is more than that: with views onto the Chrysler building, two blocks from Grand Central station and exceptionally pleasant staff this mid-town hotel doesn’t make you miss the hip designer hotels. I was gate-crashing my husband’s business trip and wasn’t involved in the choice of hotel. Unlike me, all my husband wants is to be as close as possible to his NY office and doesn’t care about the coolest hotel lobby or best view or bar. A comfy bed and proximity to his office were his criteria and I have to say this attitude gets you a lot in NYC. At least at The Alex. So, the decor doesn’t aim to win design awards but it is neutral, well thought through and comfortable. The hotel food is OK and not too pricey, but there are many nearby options, so you are not stuck with the hotel menu. Most rooms provide for an extended stay with in-built kitchens, dining table and lounge area. We were staying on the 28th floor but the wi-fi didn't reach up all the way, so the hotel staff gave me another hotel room on the 3rd floor to work from. For that i am giving them a huge golden star for resourcefulness and helpfulness. So my main point is, if you remove all your fussiness about style, design and 'where to be seen' attitude, then at The Alex you can get a nice sized suite for the price of a standard room in one of those hipster downtown hotels. Plus it has probably the nicest and most attentive staff in town.

Room Tip: if you need wi-fi access stay on the lower floors. Views onto Chrysler building best from higher flo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
What a lovely review, thank you! Hearing that our associates were, as you put it, the nicest and most attentive in town puts a huge smile on our faces. It is always our biggest goal to provide a comfortable stay with the very best in hospitality and we are thrilled to know you enjoyed just that. Our suite accommodations offer many amazing conveniences like full gourmet kitchens and separate living and bedroom space, perfect for the extended stay or when you just need some extra room. While we do regret that you experienced any issues with the Wireless connection in your guestroom, it is great to know that our associates were able to resolve it for you and that you weren’t inconvenienced too greatly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Been to The Wyndham Midtown 45? Share your experiences!