“great space for family” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Wyndham Midtown 45 to your Saves list
Hotels.com Booking.com
The Wyndham Midtown 45
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 East 45th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly The Alex Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #332 of 447 hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“great space for family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed in a two bedroom suite October 13-18 with my two children (9,12). We had a fantastic corner room with a nice view of the Chrysler building.

When we arrived, we were disappointed to see there was no television in the second bedroom as was indicated on the website. When I spoke with the manager on duty she agreed to give us free internet for our stay since there was no tv in my son's room.

As other reviewers have stated, the couch is quite low to the floor - but since I am just 5' tall it was perfect for me and the kids:) I thought the furnishings were fine, unlike some previous posters commenting on "worn" items.

I loved the kitchenette - we were able to eat breakfast in our room daily and purchased food from the Amish Market one night to eat in (highly recommend the market).

The staff was great, the location was nice - being so close to Grand Central and many good restaurants near-by.

We will stay here again when we all return to NYC for a visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TheAlexHotel-NYC, General Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Suites accommodations at The Alex Hotel are just perfect for a family getaway to Manhattan! Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit as well as sharing your appreciation for our location and spacious accommodations. We do regret if there was any confusion regarding the televisions in your suite but it is great to hear that we were able to provide you with some additional amenities to accommodate your stay even more. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

981 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Indianapolis, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The staff, all of them were great, very helpful, but that didn't make up for the disappointing room. I had never stayed there before so I checked it out on the web. The site showed a very impressive place but the actual standard room was very cramped.

We had to wait 45 minutes to get the room (we arrived at 4:30 pm) because they were defeathering the room (I am allergic). This fact had been communicated during the reservation process, weeks before, and should have been taken care of.

The couch was crammed into a space between the wall and the bed, with no place to put your feet. The room lighting was very poor. The internet service (not free) was slow. The worst part was the plumbing in the bathroom. You had to push the button behind the toilet very, very hard to get it to flush. I even had to call the engineer to help. You also had to pull the button on the bath very hard, to divert the water to the shower.

Overall, not worth the price of the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TheAlexHotel-NYC, General Manager at The Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
While we certainly appreciate your kind words for our associates, it is extremely disheartening to learn that your experience did not reflect the standards of service that we have set on every level. While it isn't clear as to the particular circumstances surrounding your request for an allergen-free guestroom, we regret if there was any confusion and if your room was not completely ready for your arrival or if you experienced any difficulty in operating the bathroom fixtures. Your comments will be shared with our management staff. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
Lisboa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great location, the size of the studio was great however there are aspects that this hotel should improve:

First set back - At the front desk, upon my arrival, I was trying to check in - all was paid for in advance- when, to my surprise the lady at the front desk, Johanna, informed me that my VISA was not working. Strange I thought, since I used it a couple of hours earlier at the airport. I told her that it was strange but she insisted and told me right away that I should call someone to fax over a credit card number or else she couldn't check me in. I told her my husband was in Algeria and if she could try it again because it was a valid credit card. Second time around and still no...Only after I insisted a 3rd time and showing i wasn't amused whilst trying to call my husband she tried again...and wouldn't you know it worked!! Like I said from the beginning! Really after an 8 hour flight I wasn't in the mood for incompetence. So not a great first impression. Costumer service lesson: try a number of solutions first then when you're sure that it really doesn't work inform the costumer that another credit card is needed.

Second set back - on day 2 i found cigarette ashes on the window sill and on the floor near the window...it seemed housekeeping didn't clean it properly and it was a non smoking room!. On my way out I wanted to inform front desk so they could send someone to clean it up. Again miss Johanna was no help at all, just looked at me as if it wasn't a big deal...well it is a serious issue. Luckily another member of staff overheard it and realised it was serious, specially in a non smoking room. So that was taken care of straight away.

Third set back - The water pressure in the shower was very weak...very weak.

I will say that apart from that one person mentioned above, all of the other staff were extremely friendly and helpful, they even printed out my boarding pass. Maybe you should give Johanna a lesson about costumer service, because she did stand out from the rest of the staff for all the wrong reasons.

It was a good stay but it had potential to be better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
We are truly disappointed to learn that your experience at our hotel was not more accommodating. Exceptional guest service is our top priority as we hope to create a memorable experience for all our guests so it is deeply troubling that your experience was anything different and we will share your comments with our management team. It is our hope that you would accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I m very happy with the Alex choice, we booked (two persons) from October 19 to October 24 a beautiful suite with two bedroom , a kitchen and a dining room, absolutely spacious in comparison with the NY standard. We asked for a smokers room, no problem with that, there is a special floor dedicated to the ...last addicted as us and the smell in the floor and the rooms is really not so strong. Staff in the lobby are very friendly and helpful, the suite is re-done more than once par day. Very nice view to the third av. and the Chrysler, maybe next time I' ll ask for a room in the upper floor if available. Perfect location for all mini trip by walk and near to the Central (we prefer walking or taxi experience :), it is possible to eat at any hour in the Alex restaurant (ringo), or very close there is a 24 h deli if you want a quite snack in your kitchen. I only find that maybe the shower in the bathroom could do for a renovation? Gym in the third floor to work out and stretch after hour walking in this truly amazing stunning city. I'm posting right away during my stay here at the alex, because I m truly enjoying the stay (sorry for my English ...) and I recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for the suite and for the Chrysler building view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We think your review is well done! Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay at The Alex Hotel. It's great to know you couldn't even wait and have taken the time from your trip just to let us know what you loved about our midtown hotel, from the views and location to your guestroom and dining experience. Your gracious comments are greatly appreciated and we would love to welcome you back again.
Easton, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great convenient location, but VERY tired interior. Photos of hotel make it seem much more spacious. Lobby area was tiny, reminded me of checking in to a European Hostel. Some rooms have a great view of the city but I doubt the windows have ever been cleaned, so we kept the shades drawn. Both Expedia and Hotwire had this hotel listed as a 4 - 4.5 star hotel, but that's a joke. Some issues include: sloppy tile work, trim in bad need of paint, 1 wine glass, no ice machine, very low bed (no box spring). The room was 'misaligned' so typical amenities didn't line up correctly...only one person in the bed had a full view of the t.v., mirror in the bathroom was up against a tight corner so very difficult to get a full view when blow-drying hair etc. These and other details would earn this hotel a 2.5 stars in my book. No need to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
It is never our intention to have guests leave us feeling disappointed. While we are truly glad to know that you appreciated our convenient midtown location, we regret that your accommodations were not what you expected and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope you'll reconsider giving us another try in the future.
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Hotel is an ideal base for exploring the city, particularly for families. If you are looking for a francy, stylish and luxury hotel, this is not your place. If you require a central base which gives you good value for the money, this is it. The hotel is located near Grand Central station, so Downtown and Uptown is in good reach via subway and a lot of attractions are in footwalking distance. The bus M42 on 42 second street gives you a ride to the West, particularly Pier 83 & Time Square.
Dining & breakfast locations and a nice beer bar (Perfect Pint) are around the corner.
The staff of the hotel is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and well equipped. We shared a double king-size room with 4 persons (2 adults + 2 childred) which fitted our requirements. Only downside is that there is no free wifi neither on the rooms nor in the lobby/bar.
I would not hesitate to recommend to friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
There is nothing we like to hear more than feedback from a guest who has enjoyed such a great stay at The Alex Hotel. From the location to the value and your comfortable guestroom, it is great to learn that you appreciated so many aspects of our boutique hotel. Our associates will love to hear that you appreciated their hospitality and we will share your review with everyone. As you mentioned, we do charge for Internet access but hope that it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. Thank you so much for the recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Silicon Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We looked for good location, above average hotel at a good price, and were very happy with the selection of the Alex. The spacious room was the entry level, and you could tell that it's been hard used; the furniture needed some repairs, and bed talked back when you sat on the edge. But, safe, clean, lots of restaurants in easy walking distance, easy access to Grand Central station, and staff that was ready to answer any questions. We'll use it again.

Room Tip: ask your travel agent for the Signature room rate -- includes breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
At The Alex Hotel we value all of our guests feedback and are so happy to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay. Thank you for sharing your appreciation for our clean, spacious accommodations as well as our location which makes visiting Manhattan so easy. If there is anything we can do to make our stay more comfortable, our associates are always available. Thank you for your review, we look forward to your next visit.

Been to The Wyndham Midtown 45? Share your experiences!