“A Jewel in Chelsea” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #328 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Solana Beach, CA
“A Jewel in Chelsea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed my recent stay at Four Points by Sheraton in the Chelsea section of Manhattan. I had never spent much time in Chelsea when I lived in New York in the 1970s because it wasn't a desirable part of town to live in or even visit. That's totally changed and Four Points turned out to be a great choice. It offers very good location, excellent value and has recently undergone a complete renovation. But what sets this hotel apart from others is the service. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful (without the attitude you often get at better known hotels). Also, our room on the 19th floor was clean and comfortable, and had a nice view of the Empire State Building. My wife really enjoyed that. We are already looking forward to our next trip to NYC and staying at our newly discovered jewel in Chelsea.

Room Tip: Higher floors with a city view have a nice view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you so much halftheman for your great review. Its great to hear that although you did not spend much time in Chelsea, the Four Points was able to be part of the experience that changed your mind. Our staff is definitely one of our best assets and to hear we made a great impression on you is always great to hear. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Although I almost always stay/prefer Starwood properties, I think this is one of my least favourite ones to stay at and only do it out of necessity when prices everywhere else are too high.

Cons
* There was a decent space between the door and door jam so you can literally see into the hallway through the crack hence the statement about not needing to look through the peephole!
* The couch (only in the suite rooms) is VERY uncomfortable to sit on; I ended up just using the desk chair to watch TV on

Pros
* Very comfortable bed as expected with any Starwood property
* The suites on the top floor are very spacious and it's great having an outside balcony. I couldn't see the balcony but it was high enough up so you can at least see over neighbouring buildings.
* Depending where you're going, the location was okay; it's only a block to a local Whole Foods which is great

Room Tip: Corner suites on top floor have balcony and large windows that span the entire room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you canuckaye for your feedback. I am so sorry that you did not completely enjoy your stay. I will definitely make sure we have our maintenance department take a look at the issues you addressed so that we can handle it immediately. Thank you for highlighting our great four comfort beds. We would love to have you stay with us again so that we can change your mind.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I had to travel to NYC for work but had to stay in a "reasonably" priced hotel. At $399 or night, this fit the bill. The rooms are small but not too small. My room had been recently renovated, although not all rooms have been updated yet.

The hotel is small, but it's fine. The location is good, and there is a pub on the premises.

The best part was getting a fresh cupcake at check-in.

I'll stay here again and suggest u give it a try.

• Stayed September 2013
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Hi TwoWas, and thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the amazing cupcake from Billy's! We look forward to your future stay with us.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am unsure of this hotel but I want to give it a fair review because I get that this is more of a budget friendly practical place to stay as opposed to being four star luxury. However I do not ever see myself staying at this hotel again. I will keep it simple by just doing a detailed list of likes, dislikes and major issues during the stay.

Likes:

1) Free wifi is always a plus as some hotels in city charge anywhere from 15-20 bucks a day to use theirs.
2) Having an in room coffee maker is always a nice touch.
3)The staff is very friendly and welcoming. If you ask for something to be brought to the room they send it right up.
4) The room was clean upon check in. The bed was comfy.

Dislikes:

1) The room was for two people yet only 1 bathrobe,1 bar of soap, enough towels for 1 person and 1 complimentary bottle of water.
2) Don't expect anything non generic when it comes to tissues and toilet paper, it's rough.
3)The shower soap dispensers are somewhat strange as you can’t read about the product you are using and the thought of how many people pumped it before me gave me the creeps however it did look clean and does cut back on waste.
4) The city view was terrible. It was basically what looked like a warehouse right across the street and if you crouched down and angled your head in the right direction you could see the tip of the Empire State Building.
5) The bathroom sink is like washing up with a small bowl and water gets everywhere.

Major issues:

1) AC unit is very loud and the room gets ice cold quickly when its on. I think its too powerful for such a small space. Also its hard to control. When it was off for a short period of time it got hot and when turned back on the room became icy cold. Needless to say it was a hot/cold noisy night.

2) UGH the food! The food in the restaurant was not good at all. It was a waste of 26 bucks. Me and my mom both got the chicken sandwich and fries. The fries seemed to be right out of the microwave while the chicken tasted like a hunk of charcoal. I ended up throwing mines out after a couple bites while my mom ate only half of hers and ended up with a stomachache. I have ate all over NYC and that's not expectable especially for Soho. I would have sent it back but I was exhausted and didn't want to deal with it.

3 ) Do not expect any kind of cab service here. You are on your own. Myself and my mom( she is clearly disabled ) had to lug our luggage 2 large blocks and only knew where to get a cab that time of day due to a nice homeless man who pointed us in the right direction. No one at the hotel offered to help us.

I did get a good rate but I will splurge the extra bucks for a more comfy stay in the future. I usually find myself not wanting to leave however to be honest I found myself happy to be heading home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you JV for your review. We are happy to be able to offer our guests simple pleasures such as complimentary wifi and coffee in room and I am happy you enjoyed them. I truly apologize that you did not like the location of your room. Unfortunately, in a city known for our skyscrapers, surrounding buildings are a bit taller than ours. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our restaurant and its food. We usually receive great comments about the food but I will make sure we address your concerns. We do hope you stay with us again in the future.
Burlingame, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here two nights at the tail end of a remodel of the hotel. We were concerned when we checked in, but we haven't heard anything or been the least bit bothered by any of it. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The room was good sized. The beds are very comfortable. I'd definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you rgb411 for your review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were helpful throughout your stay. We truly try our best to make sure the renovation hs minimal impact on our guests and it brings great pleasure to know that its working. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel badly needs to be renovated, and the ownership/management is aware of it. So unless you get a killer rate, I'd avoid this for a few months. The location is good. There are many others directly around it. The staff is aware of the "worn" nature of the facilities, which helps. But like I said, you will notice that there is a great amount of room for upgrades.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you smrpenn for your review. We are excited and eager that our renovation will be complete soon. We look forward to having you stay with us post renovation so that we can show you how fresh and new we are. Thank you!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Overall, it's a nice place to stay. Like many other NY hotels, everything is pretty small. The rooms , hallways, lobby are all tiny. However, it's clean, quiet, and the staff was excellent. The location isn't great, so I wouldn't recommend this place for vacationers. It's one of those hotels that you only use for sleep. Not really a place to hang out or have visitors.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thanks to the reviewer for your feedback. Im glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was excellent. We look forward to having you stay with again soon.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea? Share your experiences!