“Needs to be Managed much better” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #301 of 451 hotels in New York City
San Diego
“Needs to be Managed much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for seven days in the middle of December 2012 from Sunday to Sunday. From the airport transportation I made reserved through the hotel to the room doors that did not lock to the PPV movie system that did not work this hotel is a mess.

I received an email about great 50% off deals through the hotels website. I booked an airport transfer and it read they have the reservation will be in touch. Nothing.
I had to book a shuttle and wait almost an hour.

When I checked in I asked for a high floor and a King bed, which the agent smiled and said no problem. The 9th floor is not high at all and I got two twin beds right by the elevator, which I was too tired to go down and argue about. The agent also said he was going to slip some drink coupons under the door which never happened. The safety lock on the room was also broken off and the door did not lock. We did not sleep all night due to traffic noise.

The staff was able to move me to a higher room on the 21st floor two days later which was much quieter. No King bed available (even though they had availability online) due to overbooking. This room the PPV did not work and the door did not lock / latch properly. We even came back to the room after house cleaning went in and the door was unlocked!

The staff said they would send someone up to fix the lock and the PPV system repeatedly for about 2-3 days. Every other day the room key did not work and we had to go down and get a new one.

When I asked about the airport transfer I booked, the agent at the front desk gave me a blank stare. He then mentioned it was probably booked through the concierge. Too bad he did not work today though. On a Sunday? Come back tomorrow morning and ask I was told. Well guess what? He did not work Monday either!
When I did finally ask about it on Tuesday, the concierge was lost as expected. He made me feel like I made it up and I had to show him the email offer for the specials (which came from the GM by the way) and how to book it via the home web page.
He said it must have gotten lost. He said he would contact the GM and the manager and see what they could do for me and let me know. He felt very bad and was very nice with good follow up, mentioning he would call them every 10 minutes. He finally spoke with them and he told me there was nothing they could do, so sorry.

I also waited till the concierge was available to buy Empire State Building tickets. What hotel has a concierge that has Monday and Sunday off and works strange hours? Like off at 3 or 4?When I bought the 2 tickets to the Empire State building I thought they were discounted until I got it and saw they were the same price.

The food in the bar is is not very good either.

I would have moved from the hotel when told there were no King beds on Wednesday if I could have found another hotel with availability and a somewhat reasonable price, but they were all booked.

Room Tip: get high floor or get ready to stay up all night
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
FourPointsChelsea, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
First and foremost I would like to apologize about the experience you had at our hotel. If you could please forward me a copy of the email with my name on it offering a discount, I would love to see it. As for the concierge, the tickets for the Empire State are explained as being express tickets which help you avoid the lines.

I am sorry we could not completely satisfy you during your stay.

709 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed with DH in December 2012. I continue to be amazed at how quiet the hotel is - strongly suggest asking for a room in the back on the highest floor possible. On an SPG floor, we had a large bed, desk with an office chair, a large, flat-screen TV, closet, and in-room coffee. The bathroom had plenty of hot water and good water pressure. House-keeping was adequate. The staff was universally pleasant and very helpful. Unfortunately, I was shocked at how banged up the room looked. The furniture has not aged well and the mattress was sagging. I hope the hotel replaces the furniture soon so this place gets back to being an excellent value for a quiet night's sleep in the city.
Have a great time in NYC!

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for a room in the back on a very high floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FourPointsChelsea, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us again. As for the furniture we will be undergoing a renovation in the upcoming year which we are very excited about. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Normally these hotels are value for money and great places to stay. Not this one. Noisy, blinds that do not fit the window hence lights continually comes in. The bathroom amenities are in dispensers and the bathroom was very tired. The concierge quite frankly did not have a clue and when booking us a taxi to the airport tried to rip us off by about 40 bucks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

We will be undergoing a renovation in the upcoming year which we are very excited about which will address some of your concerns.

As for the dispensers, they are now a standard in all Starwood Hotels. They are a much more greener way to dispense amenities in rooms.

As for the taxi's you were offered several options, yellow taxis which cannot be called, subway or private car service. Private car service tends to charge more than a yellow taxi for trips to the airport but not $40 more. If you had such an experience, please let me know and I will look into this for you.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Really good location as in soho and close go subway in safe area. Rooms are clean but small. Using elevators in morning impossible as only 2 and the housekeepers hog them. Go for north facing rooms. Drum practice popular nearby on south facing side. Clean

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We take your feedback very seriously and will look into the issues you experienced during your stay. If you have any future requirements please feel free to contact me directly.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Me and my sister stayed here for 3 nights on the 23rd of November.... We fell in love with the comfy beds and wish we could have brought them back to England with us! But unfortunately our suitcases were full of lucky charms! Great nights sleep for our sore feet after walking every because the hotel really is in a great location. The room and bathroom was clean and we have no complaints about the space either. It was perfect for a quick and amazing shopping trip to New York.
The staff were friendly, always greeted us with smiles. We had problems with our transfers and the customer service manager gave them a call herself to help us. We were extremely grateful.

I would recommend this hotel to any who needs a quick but comfy break.
Thank you very much for making our holiday fab!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are very happy that we made your holiday getaway a pleasant one. We cant wait to have you back.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

You have to adjust your expectations accordingly in NYC. Don't be expecting a room at the Ritz even at the prices you'll be paying.

Pros: Free wifi, free amenities, clean bathrooms, AMAZING location in the middle of Chelsea, huge HDTV.
Cons: Outdated furniture, musty closet, no view.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. Even though we dont claim to offer 5 star accommodations we try to make our service reflect that. As for the furniture we will be undergoing a renovation in the upcoming year which we are very excited about. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just finished a weekend stay here. The location is great. We walked everywhere! The rooms were small, but that is to be expected in NY. The fitness room was also very small, but everything was clean and in working order and it was never too full of guests when I was there.

My only complaint about the hotel was the noise. It was so loud. I don't think I slept more than a 30 minute stretch all night. I could hear every conversation in the hall of my floor. And since we were on a lower level, we could also hear conversations on the street thru the closed windows. I didn't bother to ask for a new room because we were told at check in that the place was fully booked and even though we were spg gold our change request could not be honored.

Oh and not sure what these other reviews are talking about cupcakes at check in. We were never offered cupcakes--even tho we had a child with us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for review. Even though we do not have much control over the city noise coming from the street, we do offer sleep kits at the front desk to make your nights rest easier. As for the cupcakes we do offer them 7 days per week at check-in.

Joseph

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea? Share your experiences!