“Fantastic Resort - Storybook Views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, New York

You added Mandarin Oriental, New York to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Columbus Circle at 60th Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Offer
Ranked #50 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Key West, Florida
“Fantastic Resort - Storybook Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed one night due to availability and loved every minute. This is a grand resort and the service was effortlessly perfect. Jason at the reception desk was so kind, attentive, and professional in welcoming us for our short stay. The upgraded view from our suite was a perfect view of central park. The room was fantastic in every way and all designed around a multi million dollar view. Dinner at Asiate on the 35th floor overlooking Central Park was spectacular. Everything was divine and we didn't want the evening to end... We can't wait to return to NY and we will stay a proper number of nights! Having to move on was our only mistake...

Room Tip: Central Park View rooms are worth it! Must try the restaurant Asiate
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mandarin_NYC, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, New York, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Mandarin Oriental, New York! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience and the views! We hope to see you again soon!

Mandarin Oriental, New York Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My parents visit me in New York at least once a year, but since this year was of particular importance (my mom is turning 60 and my dad turning 70), I wanted to book them something special for their visit this time and thought that the Mandarin Oriental would give them the pampering they deserved. I booked a standard Cityview Room, but upon checking in I notified the front desk supervisor of the special occasion and she upgraded my parents to one of the best non-suite hotel rooms available – a Premier Central Park View Room on the highest floor of the hotel (floor 54). The room was beautifully and tastefully appointed with amazing floor to ceiling windows overlooking Central Park. Yes, the Trump Building still blocks a good portion of the view of the park, but even so, the view is breathtaking. The front desk took good care of my parents and we had early check-in and late checkout (as a result of booking through Amex’s Fine Hotels and Resorts program), but that being said there were a few service hiccups that prevent me from giving this a perfect review:
(1) None of the guys working outside at the entry of the hotel or in the first floor reception desk near the elevators bothered to help my folks with luggage to bring it up to the 35th floor lobby for check in and no one offered to help us take our luggage down from the lobby to the ground floor and into a cab when we checked out. That’s unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber. It could have been because we weren’t stepping out of or into a shiny new Benz or Bentley. The guys downstairs never seemed to ignore those folks…
(2) One morning the elevators that take guests from the 1st floor up to the lobby on the 35th floor stopped working. I was the only guest downstairs on the 1st floor waiting for an elevator. After about 5 minutes, I asked the guys at the desk near the doors if the elevators were working and they replied with a flippant “yes”, despite being clearly aware that I had already been waiting for 5 minutes so something must have been wrong. An elevator eventually does open its doors and I step inside and push 35 --- but nothing happens. I wait another couple minutes and when nothing happens, I go back to the front desk and tell them that clearly, the elevators are not working. They leave me standing in the 1st floor lobby for about 10 more minutes as they then scramble to figure out what to do. FINALLY after the 10 minute wait, they tell me the elevators aren't working and escort me to the service elevator – even though I had asked before having to wait 10 minutes whether there was an alternative elevator I could use and they replied that there wasn’t. They should've offered use of the service elevator well before I waited a full 15 minutes.
(3) Although the service at Lobby Lounge and Asiate is refined, polished and attentive, they are constantly looking for the up-charge. One egregious example: at Lobby Lounge we were looking to order drinks before heading out to dinner. Cocktails are listed as $20. As we’re ordering the waitress said “ I very highly recommend getting our signature “Gratitude” cocktail. It encompasses everything the Mandarin Oriental New York is about. I really think at least one of you should get it” What she failed to mention was that the cocktail costs $100. When your signature cocktail costs 5 times as much as your other cocktails, and you’re going to sing praises about it and say that we “must” try it --- then I feel like you should also mention to me the cost before ordering it. (note, though, that the cocktails are all wonderful, although I don’t think the Gratitude is worth it or something that you must try… Also, I will say breakfast at Asiate was superb (as an Amex FHR reservation, you get an $80 credit))

All in all, I recommend staying at this hotel. There are areas where service could improve especially given the caliber of this hotel and the Mandarin Oriental standard (service at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo was FAR better – it was almost flawless), but you will still feel pampered here nonetheless. The Mandarin Oriental NY is a good choice for a luxurious stay in New York, but given the plethora of luxury hotels in New York, you may want to fully investigate all of your options....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was a beautiful hotel. Awesome location and convenient to transportation and activities. Beautiful views of Central Park and the city. We loved the restaurant and the spa as well. And everybody was very helpful, friendly and kind--not stuffy at all. For us, the expense makes it a special occasion location rather than one we could visit regularly, but I hope we'll get there again. This trip we were in the city to get married and the Mandarin Oriental was a memorable and special part of our weekend.

Room Tip: We loved the room with the Central Park view but haven't seen the others....
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Mandarin Oriental, New York! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience and truly appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have stayed at the Mandarin in New York a number of times now and have also stayed in some of the other 5 star properties in New York too. For me, the Mandarin beats them all. The service is really outstanding - friendly, personable and always professional. This time I really noticed the consistency of service from every member of staff I met there - they seem to be doing something right in their recruitment and training.

Location wise - i love it. I always like to be close to Central Park and it's perfect.

The rooms aren't huge - perhaps slightly smaller i'd say compared to other similar room types in other hotels i have stayed at but it doesn't matter - the rooms are super comfortable and have everything you would need. Bathrooms are lovely!

The food is always great - i love the breakfasts there and the views from the restaurant are amazing.

I used the fitness centre on this visit and it has good machines and equipment. I had 2 massages at the spa - one thai massage which was fantastic and one normal massage which was ...ok.

So yes it's expensive but it really sets the bar for other hotels not just in NY but globally. I recommend 100%!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Mandarin_NYC, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, New York, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Mandarin Oriental, New York experience!! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and truly appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Wilmette, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

service!
room!
view!
comfort!
i loved staying here, although it was insanely expensive.
I love love love the location and the comfort/service/view/bar!
truly best is the location, get on any train at Columbus circle.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

There are few places that beat the position of this hotels the views. The service is exceptional. It is the only hotel I know on manhattan with a swimming pool with a decent length. The rooms are not suited for a long stay. Some attention could be paid to maintenance paint work etc. Breakfast is a great in the restaurant but service is variable. Bar and lounge service are excellent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We visited New York in January, the weather was freezing the Hotel was incredible. The attention to detail was excellent right from the start the pick up from the hotel was seemless the lady that greated us was very freindly and polite, our driver was friendly, knowledgable and happy to point out things for us.

When we arrived we were taken up to the reception via the elevator, upon arrival the check in was quick and easy, the stay continued like this for our entire visit.

We used the hotel concierge for some food suggestions which on occassion were a little bit questionable, however if you know the food that you like be sure to look yourself, at the end of the day they can only give you their opinion.

The room was clean, spacious and well planned out, the only crisism would be the size of wardrobe space available. However the views over Central Park were amazing. The food at the hotel was another highlight, from their asian inspired dishes to the classic american pancakes.

We loved the hotel and our stay, we were very fortunate that the superbowl was as our first choice oh hotel was fully booked, however this is a gem and jumps straight to the top of the list!

Also the hotel car which was available to take you within twenty blocks was excellent (when available).

Special mention to house keeping as well, lovely, helpful and there was no occasion we didnt have ice!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Mandarin Oriental, New York experience!! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and truly appreciate your feedback.We hope you enjoyed the game and we hope to see you again soon!

Mandarin Oriental, New York Management Team

Been to Mandarin Oriental, New York? Share your experiences!