Being a true and loyal MO Fan, we thought of no other hotel for our stay in New York and naturally expected to be awed again by the legendary MO standard. For one thing, we would expect a hotel of this category to place utmost importance on "attention to details" prior to, and especially throughout the guests' entire stay.
One request I always make prior to our arrival is regarding the rollaway bed. I would e-mail the hotels prior to arrival, as I did in this case, and instruct that the rollaway bed NOT to be set-up until after we have checked-in to our room and preferably done during the usual turn down service because we like to have the room in a neat and uncluttered fashion and so we can take nice photographs. In this instance, I received an acknowledgement from the hotel that they would gladly accommodate the request. We feel this to be a simple request. However, upon our entry to the room, I was dismayed to find the roll-away not "set-up" as confirmed, BUT instead, vertically propped up against the living room window blocking out the entire Central Park views that was the main feature of this suite (this is shown in the attached pictures)! I had to call the front desk to instruct the bed to be removed and set-up during turn-down service. The front desk was apologetic and sent up housekeeping to rectify the matter. This first impression of our arrival was of imperfection and slightly disappointed with complete lack of "attention to details" that led to this.
It may have pleased me that housekeeping who showed up then specifically asked me if I wanted the bed removed each day during room make up and brought back in during turn down service, to which I cheerfully said yes. However, this courteous offer actually led to further disappointment after it was never carried out as promised. Another instance of overlooking the details.
Concierge services appeared attentive and helpful at first contact. However, the large team of concierges and rotation of duty without systematic passing over of information leads to confusion amongst themselves and for the guest. I commend each concierge individually for the assistance they provide, but the rotation system should reviewed as to ensure a seamless process for guests.
Housekeeping services should improve response time. Many times, we have already forgotten that we had made a request before someone shows up over half-an-hour later.
The suite was generally clean but a part of the carpet was soaking wet and the dusty curtains triggered allergy symptoms on our part, which we could live with but rarely experienced at other 5-star hotels in the same category as MO.
Most of these are minor shortcomings but more importantly, they demonstrate the lack of attention to details and coordination which should not happen at an MO property. The million dollar views compensated for all the small annoyances we faced and allowed us to enjoy our stay for the most part and provide an overall rating of 4/5 stars. This is not to complain, but bring the management's attention to all the little things that can make a guests stay perfect, as an MO experience should be. We hope this will be taken as constructive feedback for further improvement, for the comfort of others expecting the 'MO way'.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stunning fusion of modern design with stylish Oriental flair, Mandarin Oriental, New York features 244 elegant guestrooms and suites - all with breathtaking views of Manhattan and Five-Star hospitality. Luxurious amenities include Asiate, the hotel's elegant restaurant; MObar created by noted interior designer, Tony Chi; the Lobby Lounge with dramatic views of Central Park; a 14,500-square-foot, Five-Star Mandarin Oriental Spa; and a state-of-the-art fitness center with a 75-foot lap pool. In addition, there is premium meeting and event space, including a 6,000-square-foot pillar-less ballroom with three walls of windows overlooking Central Park. Located in Columbus Circle's Time Warner Center, Mandarin Oriental, New York is in an idyllic location just steps away from world-class dining, shopping and entertainment, including the Broadway Theater District, Lincoln Center, Central Park, Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Time Warner Center's collection of upscale retail shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Mandarin Oriental, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, New York Hotel New York City
- Mandarin Oriental New York City
- Mandarin New York City
- New York City Mandarin Oriental