“Stay at the Maritime Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Maritime Hotel

Booking.com EasyToBook.com
The Maritime Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   363 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #83 of 446 hotels in New York City
New England
“Stay at the Maritime Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stay at the Maritime Hotel in Chelsea. Excellent location, decor, restaurant and staff. The rooms are small but each has a giant round window (porthole). Near the Chelsea Market and great restaurants.

Room Tip: I hear that it can be loud in the summer. Get a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
K_SamNewEngland- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and, indeed, thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests. If we can ever be of assistance with anything please don't hesitate to ask. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime.
All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Towson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The room was beautifully appointed; the wood was fabulous. The room has lots of built-in accommodations so it makes excellent use of space, Including a small table and 2 upholstered chairs. The bed and pillows are excellent.

There are a number of entertainment options including access to fast internet access that works, a large, flat screen TV, CDs, DVD player with access to a free DVD library.

The in-room amenities were amazing. I have never experienced a hotel that offered so many and varied amenities as I did at the Maritime.

The location was very convient to the New City subway system, great restaurants, the newly opened High Line walkway along the Hudson River and many more New York City attractions.

If you are wanting to stay at a hotel with a definite identity (the large 'porthole' windows in the rooms are great), then I strongly recommend the Maritime.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
JosephB- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and, indeed, thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We love your review and thanks for pointing out in detail some of the great things we have to offer here at The Maritime. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime.
All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Great bed and shower
Very clean
Top location, just across the street from Chelsea market. Subway (a, c, l) meatpacking distr, high line park, all less than a five minute walk away

Can't think of any

• Stayed January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've stayed at possibly 25-30 different hotels in NY over the past 5 years or so (not an exaggeration). Maybe more. This has to be one of my favorites of them all. It is very nice, but not over the top. Is is casual, yet keeps its class. And it is "boutique-ish" but yet avoids the snobbishness of it's next door neighbor, Dream. Not trying to bash Dream, as I've stayed in both of it's Manhattan locations more than once, but Maritime....it's for me.

I've stayed at the hotel 4 times, and each time I always leave satisfied. Each time I booked the regular queen room; it is very spacious for a NY hotel room; the shower/bathroom is nice and there is a lot of space for storage and to move around. The rooms come with cable and a DVD player; the front desk has a listing of old to new classics to borrow free of charge. There is an Italian restaurant downstairs called "La Bottega" which is very good and offers 24/7 room service. The hotel also offers free WIFI service.

Most of all, I just like the coziness of the place. The lobby is nice and stylish, but nothing too extravagant. There is also other bar/food options in the place. The location is great, right in the meatpacking district with lots to do. It is one of my favorite areas of New York City.

If you need a big fitness center, this won't be a good fit. It's small with only a couple treadmills, but that works for me. Sometimes it gets a little noisy, but nothing bad, especially compared to other hotels in the area I've stayed at. When booking, request a hotel room away from the elevators and you'll be fine.

Maritime. Very recommend for a stay in New York that will offer a great location and a great room at good prices for NY standards.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Richiana- Thank you so much for passing on your comments and, indeed, thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. Your review was such a pleasure to read. It is a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We do hope to welcome you back to The Maritime again in the near future. If we can be of assistance please don't hesitate to ask. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Maritime has become my go-to hotel when I'm in NY, even though most of my meetings are in Mid-town. From the moment you step into the hotel, there's a quiet-cool vibe that comes from the staff, lighting and decor that helps me unwind after braving the stress of NY. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the snacks nicely curated, and the rooms quieter than you'd think they'd be given they face 9th Avenue. The restaurant has a nice, unfussy breakfast and good Italian food. Great location. Great place.

Room Tip: lower level floors facing 9th avenue might be noisier in the summer when there's outdoor dining
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DavidG- Thank you so much for your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Maritime Hotel. We do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. It's a great source of inspiration and assistance to receive feedback. We are happy to here you enjoy our hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. If we can ever be of assistance please don't hesitate to ask. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
athens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed one evening, after a long trip . It is nice hotel, the room was small but pretty, the bed comfartable but the bathroom without tub. It was my first evening in N.Y. and one friend of mine choose this hotel. At the evening we had dinner and a nice wine at the very nice restaurant , with nice music too. It was 14 th of Febraury, Saterday nigth. There were many happy people and the atmosfire was very nice. Next morning , at the breakfast i asked bacon and they brought me a black thing, totaly bernud! i told to the lady that it was burned and she brought a new one. I drunk my coffee and i asked the bill and she wanted to pay for 2 bacons plates! Of course i told her that this was crazy and i paid for the one i have eat. the first plate it was their mistake and she didnt even apologized! Anyway, the hotel is good and if they take care, it would be better!

Room Tip: ask for a room with tub and at the hight floors.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Avgerinig-Thank you so much for passing on your comments and staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your short stay and this great location. It is a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. We do offer rooms with bathtubs and try to fulfill all guests requests for tubs. We hope to welcome you back to The Maritime Hotel in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I needed to be in the neighborhood so I chose this hotel based on the (very cool) location. The staff was super-nice, helpful and friendly, and the free wifi was really fast and worked like a charm. Overall the room was very clean and the bathroom was small but very nice and new. They provide high-end hair products as well -- a nice touch. However, I am not fan of the room's dark paneling, but that's part of the "maritime" theme. You really feel like you are on a cruise ship when you are in your room, so I guess it depends if you like that feeling or not!
Cons:
- Entrance stairs. Don't stay here if you have any problems walking up stairs. I saw a few older people having trouble and I felt sorry for them. In fact, no one wants to carry their bags up & down stairs when entering the hotel. Not fun!
- I learned that most rooms in this hotel are very small and cozy, but the huge round window makes up for it...slightly. Most rooms are identical. They have a very limited number of suites or larger rooms, so don't expect an upgrade even if you beg. (And most rooms only have one bed, which is surprising). The front desk people don't have much to work with in terms of rooms. Take it or leave it.
- I was not impressed with the VERY dark royal blue, dim hallways. Seriously? I found it depressing. You are out of luck if you need to search for your room key in your handbag if you are standing outside your room's front door. You will need a flashlight for sure.
- Noise. It's a party neighborhood and the hotel has a huge outdoor bar, too. Even in January, there is a club right next door and it can get loud. -- and I was on a high floor. Earplugs are in the rooms, so they are prepared for noise complaints. Your best bet is to join the crowd and party!
Don't say you weren't warned!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!