“A thoughtful and dedicated staff elevates this great hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Maritime Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Maritime Hotel to your Saves list
The Maritime Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   363 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #85 of 452 hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“A thoughtful and dedicated staff elevates this great hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Natural disasters hold a mirror to the people who get survive them; how they manage a crisis, problem-solve, and demonstrate their best or worst aspects of humanity to others. I was caught in NYC during Hurricane Sandy for nearly two weeks, and I can only describe how unequivocally impressed I am by the staff and management of The Maritime Hotel.

Indeed, the hotel has great amenities and style, and the rooms -- although a bit small -- make up for their size with excellent ergonomics and thoughtful details. Lots of closet space and drawer storage. A slim, but well-appointed bathroom with a generous shower head (water! pressure!) and a well-designed marble stall with built-in mirror and shelves. A clever and well-stocked mini-bar. A TV with 227 channels, a DVD player (to take advantage of the hotel's impressively curated movie library), and stereo. A comfy bed nestled inside a nook with shelves, lights and electrical outlets on either side to keep incidentals, and cell phones at the ready and charged.

The bar has a comfortable ambience; the restaurant is very good.

But beyond all of the basic hotel comforts, I was a firsthand witness to an extraordinary staff, who put their guests first in a time of chaos and crisis. Even after the power, then the water, went out in the hotel, each and each employee we encountered -- front desk, service staff, housekeeping, handymen, bellmen -- were warm, comforting and positive. The restaurant brought out free pizzas for everyone, and took in people off the street when the hurricane hit. The staff was doing 16-hour shifts, sleeping at the hotel away from their homes and their families to keep the hotel going and to do their jobs. Maids were cleaning the rooms as best as they could, even though the hotel was without water or power for nearly a week. Lenny, the Head of Security, despite his apparent fatigue and stress about the backup generator, ferried guests up and down the darkened elevators with his flashlight, and managed to remain cheerful and upbeat -- he was extraordinary. I also can't praise the Maritime's team of valets/bellmen enough for their hustle and great attitudes. Even when taxis were even surlier and scarcer during the blackout, they headed out into the wind and snow onto 9th to hail cars for us, and sherpa'ed our bags up and down the hotel's lobby stairs.

When the plumbing cut out, we were forced to find other accommodations for the rest of the week, and had the opposite experiences at other properties -- rate gouging, lies about the safety/functionality of the hotel, bad attitudes. The staff at the Maritime were so incredible, and were so good at their jobs, we would have stayed at the hotel even in the dark, had the toilets and water been operational. Hunkering down with this exceptional crew as Chelsea staggered to its feet would have been preferable to staying uptown with full amenities, but horrible management/staff.

The Maritime Hotel is an exemplary property, rising to their mission and ethos in the most unthinkably difficult conditions. I will remain a loyal guest for many years to come, and recommend this hotel with my highest confidence.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
AliasLA- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and, indeed, thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. Your feedback means so much to the entire staff and I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. You definetly experienced an unusual week at The Maritime due to Hurricane Sandy. However, our goal with pleasure was to continue to give great service and see that our hotel guests were taken care of given with what we had to work with. Again, your shout out to our staff members goes a long way. It's not everyday that they receive inspirational comments from guests. We do hope that you will visit us again and that they will be under different circumstances. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance with a future reservation. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime and hope that you will consider it your home here in the city. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed at the Maritime while in NYC for some meetings at the Soho House. Overall, I enjoyed my stay. Street noise was an issue for me the last time I stayed in the city a few months ago (I was at a different hotel), so I was a little concerned about noise this time too, especially because a room on the 6th floor was the highest the Maritime had available when I checked in. However, the Maritime turned out to be *very* quiet. I could barely hear anything from the street at all, and I didn't even have to use one of their window plugs that fit into the circular windows. I also didn't have any problems whatsoever with noise from the hallways, from the elevators or from any of the other rooms.

The staff were unfailingly polite and helpful. I had a drink at the hotel's restaurant one night with some friends and our server there was also very friendly.

I appreciated the small details that the hotel's designers took into consideration when outfitting the rooms, such imprinting a letterpress logo on the coasters underneath the glasses in the bathroom. Another detail I appreciated was the inclusion of a journal called "The Tortoise" along with the usual tourist glossies on the side table in the room. One of the hotel's owners is on the board of the Turtle Conservation Society and he felt that his guests should have the chance to learn more about the many tortoise species which are close to extinction. As someone who personally has both philanthropic and business interests, I can imagine that the decision to put this journal in guests' rooms was not made lightly (a journal that discusses a serious issue might not necessarily be considered "fun" or appropriate for a hospitality environment). However, the fact that the journal was in the room anyway gave me the impression (whether true or not) that the owners are good guys who care about real issues.

The only downside of the hotel is that the rooms are tiny. I was traveling by myself so this didn't matter, but the room would be too small if I was to travel with my husband and dog. In that case, I would reserve one of their suites.

One recommendation for travelers who are staying at the Maritime would be to go to Chelsea Market for breakfast - it's only a block away and there is a bagel shop on the first level.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Sarah7038- Thank you so much passing on your comments and, indeed, thank you so much for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. Your feedback and the specific details of what you experienced as a guest is much appreciated. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your kind comments. We hope to welcome you back to The Maritime in the near future. If we can ever be of assistance please don't hesitate to reach out.
All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

When I was just a lad working in the mailroom I used to hand deliver mail to merchant sailors who were staying there. I was always impressed about the look of this building. I recently spent a weekend there. The room was ok…BUT the ambiance of the place make up for the room. When you stay here you are taken back in time. The in-house restaurant and clubs are well worth the stay. Make sure you ask for you free pass to the club cause the line to get in is extremely long. Over all my stay there was very enjoyable and I can’t wait to do it again.

Room Tip: Top floor...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
David K- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. Times have changed probably since delivering mail to the merchant sailors. What a neat story! We appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance with a future reservation. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Maritime. Firstly they checked us in and had our rooms ready when we got there at 1pm (check in from 4pm normally).
The location is just ideal, right in the heart of Chelsea, opposite the lovely chelsea market, just perfect and right near the meat packing.
For a hotel restaurant their restaurant- La Bottega is very nice and they have a large selection, I had breakfast in there 2 mornings.
The rooms are equipped with everything you need, hairdryer, dressing gowns, umbrella, slippers, iron.. shampoo, bath, lotion, you name it, they supply it, so you won't need to pack any of that stuff. The rooms are small, but which hotels in NY aren't! The round porthole windows really make you feel like your staying on a ship.. and the room looks a bit like a cabin too! But I like its quirkyness.
The mini bar also had a huge selection... I only had the water which was $6! which is pretty pricey, so avoid if you can!
The only downside, is they have a lot of parties downstairs in there club... it didn't keep me awake as I was on the 10th floor, but my colleague was on the 5th, and she could hear the music all night until 4am when it finished! Oh and I saw legendary DJ Paul Oakenfold in the lobby, so also good for celeb spotting!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Amanda W- Thank you for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during your time in NYC. Thank you for pointing out a lot of the amenities we have to offer. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can every be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Spent the weekend over Columbus Day at the Maritime. First time at this hotel which had been recommended by a friend. Celebrating 20th wedding anniversary and were very pleasantly surprised to get upgraded to a penthouse suite with private roof deck. Room was phenomenal and service superb and they even brought up a complimentary bottle of wine! Great location, near High Line, Chelsea Market, nice walk to Washington Square and Soho. What more to say....we hope to return and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floors, facing the Hudson.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
DebbiC- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and, thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and taking the time to share your kind words. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel as well the location. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime. Let us know if we can ever be of assistance in the future. Congratulations on your anniversary!
All the best, Matt Moore-General Manager

Been to The Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!