“Be warned - when you see this place you won't want it at all” 1 of 5 stars

World Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Bowery, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Ranked #429 of 452 hotels in New York City
Perth
“Be warned - when you see this place you won't want it at all”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is not a cheap hotel, it is not fit for human habitation.
I was upset that Booking.com allows this place to be listed.
We were shown a room only a few square feet in size with dirty walls, dirty floor and sheets.
These people obviously just advertise the place as a hotel knowing that when customers arrive they will likely refuse what they see and leave. I guess the figure some won't dispute the hard charges for the deposit.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Simply the worst place we've ever stayed.Dried blood on the wall, tiny room you couldn't swing a cat in, which was only separated by a partition to the next room. Doors banging all night. Absolute kip

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This crappy place could be called a hotel? I booked a double room with private bathroom, they gave me a room with shared bathroom(shared with a lot of rooms I believe).
The room is the worst place I stayed ever. It is noisy, dirty, and COLD.
1. The room is next to the busy street (cars&trucks passing by all nights). The windows are so old that there's no protection against the noise.
2. The blankets are not washed and neither does the pillow covers. On the corner of the drawer there're even spots of bloods!
3. It was really cold the day I were there. I felt the heater is off. My room was freezing at night and so does the shared bathroom.
I'd have left the place as soon as possible but I arrived late at night so I had to stay there for 6 hours. I should say this is the worst place I have slept inside. And it calls itself 1.5 star hotel? How do they get the 1.5 star rating? If I were the rater, I would give it 0 star hotel rating and 0 star for the TripAdvisor rating.

DO NOT EVEN SPEND A PENNY HERE! But I am so sad I spent 80 bucks for it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Good location, 2 minutes walk from subway station, and walkable distance to Brooklyn bridge and financial district. Very cheap, the cheapest place to stay in New York City. Bathroom was disgusting and not enough for everyone, there are 53 rooms on one floor with only two bathroom. Room was so small, too small to stay in. I think they did not clean our room when we checked in, I found hairs in pillow and on the bed. And soap they provided us in the room had been used, once again I saw hair in the soap which repacked into the plastic container. It is really gross hotel, I would rather stay in the hostel. Definitely not going back again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Horsham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

OMG ! They cant call this an hotel, is just a place to sleep, if you can sleep with noise, because you can hear all the rooms because all the ceilling are conceted to all of them so you can hear conversations, tv's, anything you can think of, you have one toilet with shower for on level with more than 30 rooms per level, the room was full of cockroaches, the staff was extremnelly unhelphul, hasnt got any lifts, the toilet is cleaned or wiped one a day, not enoughf for all the people that they use it every day. It´s better to pay a bit more in a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Inexpensive and close to the B and D subway. I stayed seven nights on the fifth floor. There is no elevator. There are no phones in the room. If you need the front desk, it is on the second floor which meant, for me, a walk down three flights of steps. My TV did not work for the entire stay, although I mentioned it the first night. The rooms are SMALL, like six feet by six feet-- I could touch both walls with my fingertips in both directions. There were two bathrooms at the far end of my floor that all 20 or 30 rooms shared, so often the bathroom wait was long, and there was rarely any toilet paper. (However they did supply a roll in the room for personal use.) I had no light in my room for the first five nights, but after daily reminders, the bulb was finally changed. There is only a bed and a drawer-less dresser in the room, no closet or drawers for your clothes. There are false ceilings overhead, so you can hear others in their rooms as though they're right next to you (there was a girl with a bad cough across the hall from me who kept me awake several hours every night). There is no control of temperature, either colder or hotter, so I was frigid a few nights. It was very clean, and the staff was friendly. That's about it.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to World Hotel? Share your experiences!