“The worst by far..” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #437 of 464 Hotels in New York City
NJ
“The worst by far..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Caling this a hotel just does not seem plausable. The name for this type of establishment has not been invented yet. I had pretty low expectations going in knowing that the price for a NYC was quite low, but little did I know - even THAT was a rip off. Basically the space in the building has been partitioned into slots just to fit a bed. The bed is 5'4" and just sqeezed between walls. So, if you are taller, good luck. There are no windows! There is no air conditioning or hitting in the room. wall mounted 15 inch TV from 80s does not work and they dont even bother to provide remote. And shared shower! I would not step my foot in that slimy, moldy, filthy thing. There is zero sound isolation. I could hear snorts, coughs and farts from all fours sides surrounding my room. Even though I just needed a bed without frills, I still found this place unbearable and unacceptable. Frankly, I seriously doubt this establishment operates legally, and I can not beleive NYC sanitation department allows them operate. STAY AWAY for your own dignity and mental health.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Thai first
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The worst. Aside from problems I can live with (the room was as long as the bed and about 2 feet wider), here are the main complaints:

-Internet was barely functional.
-No elevator and I was on the 5th floor. Glad I only had a backpack!
-Both toilets on my floor were clogged. I didn't want to write the word "feces" in my review, but I feel like I have to.
-The bathrooms smelled like mold.

Thought I'd save a buck - never again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The rooms are dirty with some red stains I guess blood on the the walls and cigarette butts on the stairs. The restrooms were noting but dirty and the whole experience was discontentment,
I was over charged and was given different room and above all treated with extreme aggression.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor seems to be better than that on other floors. Get one of these if you have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were a group of 3, and were planning to visit NYC for the long holiday weekend - most of the hotels were booked solid because this was a last-minute trip, so we ended up picking the "World Hotel". Saw the reviews, and was already expecting the worst. When we got there, there were a few things that we noticed:

1) No working elevator was available. I met a few international folks at this place, and the poor people had to lug their entire suitcases up many flights of stairs.

2) We stayed at the top floor - where the washrooms were shared. There would always be a line to the washroom in the morning/evening; so wake up early if you want first dibs on it. The washroom was pretty gross (ie: toilets got clogged, hair all over the place, etc...), but what can you expect from a shared common floor washroom right?

3) The rooms were so small that it could only fit the bed. You walk in the room, and you only have another few steps to maneuveur around. Beds were clean overall, we didnt experience any bedbugs, or see any other non-sanitary things around.

4) Location was decent - right in the middle of chinatown. It was another 10 min walk to the nearest subway station. Lots of places to eat around the area if you like Chinese; but by 10pm-11pm, everything is shut down - except for the Chinese Karoake Bar next door.

All in all, I personally would not go back. In all seriousness, I would actually pay a bit more money to stay at the local Holiday Inn (bigger room, more comfort, OWN washroom). The common bathroom thing is probably the worst part - so if you HAVE to stay here, I suggest trying to get a room that offers your own "ensuite" washroom.

But like I said in my title, if you are on a very very tight budget, and don't mind roughing it out at all - then this might work out for you, as everything was livable and tolerable.

P.S. The walls are paper thin and the rooms are literally side-by-side. You can hear everything that goes on at night - especially between couples. So this isn't the best place for a family - you wouldn't want your kids to hear "that" kinda stuff at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had to find a place to crash for a single Friday night and found this hotel for $80, $150 less than the next nearest hotel. It was less than a block from a Best Western and a Marriott sub-brand so you know the location isn't bad. (In fact, it's great). I got a room on the 2nd floor (the first available floor) and settled in. A few things to keep in mind:

* You room will be no bigger than a double bed with a foot or two all around to spare.
* The ceiling is not solid but made of plaster and chicken wire.
* You will be able to hear every footstep, conversation, and snore on the floor.

I was actually was rather enjoying my find until a drunk couple stumbled into their room a couple doors down at 2 in the morning and stayed up until 5 with the radio going over the sounds of their love. Yes, all of the sounds. The front desk person never enforced any of the 'rules' -- quiet time is supposedly after 10pm but no one bothered with that nonsense. They finally fell asleep, but then, at about 7:00, other people started waking and the room doors began banging open and shut, followed by the bathroom door banging open and shut. If you're deaf or have very good ear plugs, you won't mind. Anyone with normal hearing will be able to hear everything. You might get lucky and be on a quiet floor but I don't see any way around the bathroom noise.

It's hard to recommend this place. I got about 3 hours of sleep. The location is pretty good, not far from the Chinatown buses and across the street from restaurants. Canal Street is a couple streets down and the subway is 2 blocks in the other direction. Overall, the place was clean and my bed seemed to be fitted with clean sheets. Even with that, I don't think I'd stay here again (will try one of the other similar places first).

Room Tip: Try to get one far away from everyone else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We booked a double hotal room, arrived late to find it was a small air tight box 1.2m x 2m x 1.2m ceilings. There was not enough room to close the door once you put one suitcase in the room. There was no air, no amenitied of any kind except one bed with a used sheet and wet towel screwed up in the small cupboard. Management would not come and check and told us it had been cleaned. They then charged another $22.95 to upgrade to a room where you could at least get inside the room. Wifi did not work. There is no lift and rooms are on 5th floor. Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Morgantown, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I hate giving the hotel a poor rating when it is so cheap to stay there. But it isn't nice enough to get a better rating. If I were rating just the cost, I would give it an excellent because by staying at this hotel I saved $200-300 for a room that is so close to everything. I agree with the other reviewers that said--you get what you pay for. I guess we could have stayed over the river in NJ but then we would have had to spend money traveling into the city and losing time on a relatively short trip to NYC. I think this was a good deal and would probably do it again. For people heading to the city on a budget--take a look at the pictures and prepare yourselves for a spartan experience. Don't expect luxury and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get the room with the private bathroom if its available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to World Hotel? Share your experiences!