“China Town Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Hotel

You added Windsor Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 Forsyth Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #395 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“China Town Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed during our visit to NY. I did not realize that the hotel was in the middle of China town. I probably did not do enough research. We arrived very late so it was difficult to change our minds. The room was very small and the temperature was not stable. Cleanness could be improved and some of the furniture replaced. It is however a two minute walk to the B and D metro station that gets you in four stops to 5th avenue. China town is vibrant with lots of shops and the streets did not feel unsafe but there were always lots of garbage bags on them.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Before making a booking with Hotwire in the US, we looked in detail at the Hotwire website information, read the testimonials they have on the website, and looked at Trip Advisor. Hotwire was promoted as reputable company that offered quality travel deals below published prices.

HOWEVER... we were very shocked to find that the hotel we had booked - the Windsor Hotel - supposedly in the financial district and supposedly usually priced at US $375 - was a rundown hotel in Chinatown staffed by people with very low-level English language skills. The room was quite dirty, smelt funny, and was furnished very shabbily. There were people in the street outside talking and you could hear every word from inside the room. We have stayed in better hotels in rural China.

As soon as we saw the room, we called Hotwire and spoke with one of their operators; however, they could not find another hotel and we were charged for the night's accommodation (that we did not use). We had to find another hotel for the night, which we did using another travel organisation. When I got back to Australia I sent Hotmail a couple of emails but got no reply.

Advice from this experience is to be very careful if you are dealing with Hotwire and avoid the Windsor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Pittenweem, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Reading other reviews of this hotel I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes the hotel is a little dated, and not the cleanest. However, it was adequately clean, and housekeeping came in everyday. The location was excellent, and very easy to get round the city from. Some of the staff could do with learning a bit more about customer service, as some weren't all that friendly. However, this is just a small negative. This hotel is great for people who are on a budget like myself, so would totally recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I left the hotel at 4am to catch a early flight home after being bitten by bed bugs. Room was not very clean. Old outdated furniture. One bed was a twin size, the other bed was not quite a full size. No matress cover on bed and thin sheet. Other bed had dirty cover on top. Shower fixture was loose. I had to get my own face cloth from the basement after I had asked the front desk for one. Window blinds were broken up and curtains soiled. After reporting this to the front desk, I was told to call back later to speak to the manager. I got the run around and never got a response. I will never stay here again! The only good thing: Good location to subway and China Town. Not worth the $200

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Aruba, Caribbean
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

In a good spot, basic hotel. Don't expect anything too flash, if you just want a place to sleep in a good location then you will find this to be the place.

Review doesn't have to be any longer than that really,

Room Tip: Clean the room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Bed bugs..very gross........expired body wash (the expiration date on the package was 2 years ago!)

super dirty rooms...I can see trash hidden behind the bed.... it's located at a great spot that is close to subways and food but I will never want to come back again because of those cleanliness issue.

• Stayed June 2014
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here for three nights as part of our honeymoon; this being the NY bit of it.
This hotel is smack in the middle of Chinatown, with a park over the road where, each morning, you'll find the local population undertaking Tai Chi or Chinese dancing. On Sunday afternoon we also watched bicycle polo - fascinating, but, even as an ex racing cyclist, not something I want to try!
The hotel itself is located close to subway stations, so travel around NY is easy and convenient.
Plus points for the hotel:
a) 24 hour manned reception
b) Fantastic location
c) Rooms comfortable and adequately spacious
Minus points for the hotel:
a) Cleanliness - the rooms could do with a serious vacuuming - as a nurse, my wife reckons it's because the cleaners are male - how sexist! That said, she did find a sock in the bedroom - and it belonged to neither of us.
b) the safe in our room did not work. The manager attended and discovered that there were no batteries in it. He told us he was going to get some. Had I been patient enough to wait, I'd still not have a safe! In the end, I used some of my rechargeable AA camera batteries to power it.
c) There's a sign in reception that states "Free coffee 0600-0900 daily". Close, but no cigar. Apparently, coffee has not been available for more than 2 years. Tea (sorry, Liptons teabags) are available, with creamer not milk!!
Would we stay there again? Yes, because, for NY, it's cheap; you get a private bathroom rather than shared as many others offer at this price and it's quiet, so sleep is possible.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!