“Hotel in Chinatown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Hotel

Save Saved
You added Windsor Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 Forsyth Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Ranked #377 of 452 hotels in New York City

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here on two separate occasions, in two different rooms, in February. The first time I stayed on the 6th floor, I found a bed bug that had already sucked my blood and killed it. The second time I stayed on the 2nd floor, I got lucky and found it before it got me. The room itself seemed very dirty. The corners of the walls had white powder all over it. The powder was probably pesticide. The mattress itself had crusty brown spots from previous bed bug infestations. The carpet does not seemed to be vacuumed or steam cleaned in a long while. If you decide to stay here, remember to keep your luggage and clothes off the floor and chair as bed bugs can get into your luggage. Not the souvenir you want to take home with you as they can then infect your house/apt. The location of the hotel is excellent. It is near the BD train stop and is also near many restaurants. However, there are other hotels that are close and offer better peace of mind.

Room Tip: Get the penthouse. Its cold, the heater doesn't work well, you will have to wait about an hour f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
St. Paul, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Due to flight availability our family had to spend the night of Feb. 1 in New York as we were boarding the Norwegian Breakaway on Feb. 2. This was Super Bowl weekend in New York and we felt fortunate that we were able to get rooms. The Hotel is in the "Heart of China Town" and we were thrilled to take advantage of this fact.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

A very good price for NY, nice staff and a great location.
Also, powerful internet service on every floor.
Rooms are shabby, kind of dirty and pillows smell bad. We use our own bed sheets and were never bare foot.
Not for the weak of stomach.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights, giving me 2 whole days to explore New York. Location wise it's great! You take the J train from JFK and you are a 5 minute walk from the hotel. You then only have a 5-10 minute walk to the trains to upper and lower New York. I walked from this hotel all the way to Central Park up 5th Ave. and then all the way down to Battery Park the next day! I couldn't have asked for more!

The room was good, with a nice comfy bed, and a good heater (needed due to snow and -3C weather!) you are provided with a toothbrush, paste and soap if you forget yours too! The shower was good, although it did take a few minutes to get really nice and warm, and the towels were starting to show their age a bit, but for what I paid for the hotel, I knew I wasn't getting the Ritz treatment!

All the staff were really friendly, and always had a smile on their face, offering advice on where to go and directions! They were very apologetic when the door lock in my room broke and they found me another room quickly and helped me move my stuff.

I would really recommend this hotel and would come back again! Maybe see you next year!

• Stayed December 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Not a great experience. We had the choice to spend more, but chose not to based on the reasonable reviews out here. Wish we would have spent more. Don't do it, people. Don't stay here just to save a buck.

Pros:
1. Location- In Chinatown, on the edge of Little Italy. Diverse, fairly quiet neighborhood with a park across the street.
2. Transportation: subway to Uptown 1 block away; other lines about 4-5 blocks away
3. Friendly front desk staff (but a bit disinterested or maybe resigned to their situation)
4. Carpet in room looks like it was replaced within the last 15 years, unlike anything else in the room.

Cons:
1. Dirty, dirty, dirty: Although a cleaning person comes daily, the only thing they do is make the beds and arrange your personal items on the sink. (Wasn't a big fan of having my toothbrush touched.) The carpet never gets vacuumed or the floors swept or toilets cleaned.
2. Stains everywhere: the sheets are stained with blood and god-knows-what; the blankets are stained and in some spots crusty (EEEEK!); the walls near the windows had water spots.
3. Old broken down furniture and drapes that were torn and cigarette burned.
4. A/C did NOT work at all and made loud whining sounds when it tried ALL NIGHT LONG. We reported this to the front desk and they didn't seem to think it would work better if we got another room.
5. Elevator out. Hauling bags up and down the stairs was zero fun.
6. Guys, you will have to pee sitting down. The counter top behind the toilet is configured so the seat won't stay up. Pee like a lady, my friends.

You've been warned.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We ended up getting this hotel as part of a Hotwire Hot Rate, and after reading several reviews were very worried but unfortunately couldn't cancel the reservation. The hotel was more spacious than other NY hotels and had great subway access and was surprisingly quiet, but those were the only pros. Upon arrival, there were left over beard shavings in the sink, some brown drip stains on the shower curtain and walls, tons of stains on the bed sheets, other people's hair everywhere, furniture that was shredded, gross carpet, key cards that never worked and had to be constantly reset....and the list goes on. After the second night I received 6 bites and we decided we should just take a loss and stay elsewhere. When we talked to the front desk they didn't seem surprised when I said I was bit, and offered to refund the nights we didn't stay, and Hot Wire also claimed that we will be getting a refund for the remaining nights. So I guess if you are unfortunate enough to get this place on your "Hot Rate" non-refundable booking, they will refund you once you actually get bit but not any time before. Would definitely AVOID this place as saving a few bucks was not worth it and we ended up getting a much nicer place for less by booking a hotel the day-of when we left.

Room Tip: I suspect none of the rooms are good. We initially inspected the mattress for bed bugs and didn'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!