“Clean room, convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Hotel

You added Windsor Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 Forsyth Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Ranked #380 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Richmond, Virginia
“Clean room, convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed in Room 406 late May early June 2012. The room was clean, and it was cleaned satisfactorily every day.

The room was modest: See photos. The bath towels were small, but when I asked for extra they gave me extra.

I used the microwave in the basement to cook my cereal. The front desk people were courteous. They stored some perishables for me in a small refrigerator at the front desk.

My bed was firm but I slept well on it. There were NO BUGS, of any kind, that I could perceive, in my room. Repeat: In my room I did not get bitten or grossed out in any way.

This place is very convenient to the Grand St. subway station. And I had a view of the park across the street, where people exercise in the mornings and play soccer. This is smack dab in Chinatown; it's likely that the people you meet on the street will not speak English. The food store across Broome St. is unusual in that the predominant language is Spanish, not Chinese.

This is not a place to get away from it all. This is a place to be in the middle of it all. You can do your morning exercises in the park and no one looks at you funny.

My only complaint is that in the staircase the last night, something stank in the garbage, and it made climbing the stairs (for exercise instead of using the elevator) unpleasant. I told the desk clerk. Instead of removing the garbage immediately, she said she would tell the garbage collectors about it in the morning. But, in her defense, she was the only person on duty, and it is likely that she could not leave the desk during her shift. Nevertheless, I avoided the stairs because of the stench.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in August 2012 for one night and have over 150 bed bug bites on my body! I have spent over $600 in medication, medical attention, throwing out my luggage and clothes, throwing out gifts I had purchased in my travels and throwing out my infested hand bag! My body has welts and sores all over it and it will take many months to look normal again. Management does not return call and gives out a false contact phone number. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FILTHY HOLE. Report them to phone number 311 in New York City and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if you have problems with them.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay at a clean place that speaks a language other than Chinese.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Coimbra, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The only good thing about this hotel is the location: on the border between Chinatown and Lower East Side, it is also close to a subway station and it has some shops and basic restaurants close by.

The hotel itself is very poor and extremely expensive for what it offers. Last June, I paid US$ 230 (taxes included) per night for a double room which was really poor. Although clean, it was sloppy and careless: the chair was full of stains, the furniture was partially ruined, the blanket of one of the beds was ripped off, paper of the wall was peeling and the shutter of the window was half-broken. Moreover, there was no double glazing on the windows and so it was rather noisy. The room was tiny, almost without space for the luggage and two persons. It was the worse relation quality/price that I have ever experienced! Unbelievable!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ashford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Good value this close to downtown. Room was adequate. Travelled uptown by metro every night no problem. No facilities so eat out and bring your drinks in. Some good places to eat close by in China town or Little Italy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great location for great eats, close to everything and clean, basic, room.. John helped with parking and provided a tip sheet of his favorite food places. Stayed in NYC 25 times, loved being in Chinatown and not having to ever take a cab or subway for what i wanted to do. Would return for more.....

Room Tip: High floor with view of park
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a nice little hotel, decently priced, clean with friendly staff. It only loses a single point because the location feels a little unsafe. We never had a problem to be fair but it does feel -like I say- a little unsafe at night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Topeka, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My mom, stepfather and I stayed here June 7th-June 13th. Rooms are small, but appeared clean. Our room had a double bed and an extra-long twin. The mattresses were very firm. The wi-fi worked very well throughout our stay. The hotel is located very close to the subway, and within Chinatown. We did have a couple of issues with the cleaning of the room (for about half of our stay, the staff neglected to give us clean washcloths, so we had to ask for them each day). The safe was a nice feature. Our room keys would randomly stop working after a day or two, I don't know how many times we each had to go to the front desk to get them to fix it. The desk staff seemed nice enough, however.

I checked my mattress the night we checked in for bed bugs (I do this everywhere). I did not see any, but I only checked the twin bed and not the double. After a few nights, my stepfather woke up to a spot of blood on his pillow. One evening, my mother found a bug, which after we got home, she Googled and now is quite certain it was a bed bug. I did not see any bugs, but the day after we returned, I broke out in a very bad rash. My mother and stepfather now have rashes as well, they all look characteristic of bed bug bites. We're only hoping that we didn't bring any home with us.

I could have dealt with a small room, no washcloths, hard beds and non-working keys (a cheap room requires compromise, I suppose)...but bed bugs are a completely different story. I would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!